IGNORED

Gil & Kally Bates: 25th anniversary-A dream come true

0 kids n not countin

Seems like that got a $25,000 dream vacation for $1,200 plus incidentals. Jesus really loves them & provides. :roll:

December is a special month for us for many reasons: holiday fun, friends & family, the celebration of Christ’s birth… and our anniversary!! This anniversary was an extra special occasion – 25 years!

The children were constantly whispering, so I knew something was up! I watched the kids giggle as they urged their dad to plan something really big! Gil had been secretly saving for an extra-incredible, once-in-a-lifetime celebration… but his plans crashed when unexpected repairs chipped away at his savings! I was anticipating a dinner out or maybe an overnight retreat to Gatlinburg, but the kids continued to echo, “25 years has to be special!â€

One night Nathan was on the phone with a friend he had met at a Journey to the Heart (http://ati.iblp.org/ati/students/opport ... otheheart/ ) While talking, Nathan mentioned our anniversary was coming up. One thing led to another, and before we knew it, Nathan’s friend, Elijah Koneshero, made a series of calls to invite us to his20121217_172319 home town in Hawaii.

Elijah had a church friend, Fern, who graciously allowed us to stay in a condo overlooking the ocean on the extremely isolated island of Molokai. Elijah had just earned his pilot license and also offered to fly us around to various islands. After negotiating for ticket prices, Gil made an out-of-the-ordinary decision to fly to Hawaii for an unforgettable 25th anniversary adventure!20121213_111833

What can I say?? 25 years was enough to be ecstatic about… but Hawaii?? A travel agent friend heard us describe our trip and said it sounds like a $25,000 trip… Gil managed to squeeze it down to two $600 plane tickets, a few meals and souvenirs, and fuel cost for Elijah’s plane. We know the Lord worked through many people and circumstances to make a dream come true!!

Awe, the happy couple & the modest beach attire:

20121217_143755.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course the Lord blesses such a Godly couple with a 600 dollars trip. :roll: I'm waiting for Michelle's I-got-a-godly-trip blog post any day now.

Seems like that got a $25,000 dream vacation for $1,200 plus incidentals. Jesus really loves them & provides. :roll:

Awe, the happy couple & the modest beach attire:

20121217_143755.jpg

Modest AND matching attire.

Why don't I get a free trip to Hawaii? Is it because I'm a godless heathen? If I say nice things about Bill Gothard, will that work?

Meh! My headship took us to Hawaii last summer. The year before was Tahiti. We do things the "old fashioned way". We have JOBS to pay our own way.... :roll:

I thought Journey to the Heart was for girls. Isn't Nathan a boy?

It's recently been extended to boys, though Nathan is the first I've heard refer to attending.

They're in Hawaii. Why are they wearing those... outfits? Surely they'll change to modest bathing suits to at least ENJOY themselves. Or is it against Gothard's code to enjoy yourselves.

Why in the world is Gil wearing those sort of shoes on the beach?!

And dear fundie couples, please stop matching. It looks stupid.

I don't necessarily consider Hawaii a "once-in-a-lifetime trip." But it's their anniversary, and they seem thrilled, and if they want to wear fugly outfits on the beach, I'm actually happy for them. It was awfully kind of their friends (not God) to arrange something special for them.

I don't necessarily consider Hawaii a "once-in-a-lifetime trip." But it's their anniversary, and they seem thrilled, and if they want to wear fugly outfits on the beach, I'm actually happy for them. It was awfully kind of their friends (not God) to arrange something special for them.

That's how I felt too. When I saw the picture the first thing I noticed was that they looked happy and sort-of peaceful.

I have so many problems with them and how they conduct their lives but... I can't help but to feel sort-of happy for them in this picture. :oops:

For a lot of people on a budget, not just ones with eleventy billion kids, Hawaii is a "once in a lifetime" destination.

The matching burns my retinas.

Gil looks like an idiot wearing those '90s pleated pants and dress shoes on the beach. Even David Waller wore board shorts on the beach in Australia.

$25K for Hawaii? Proof the Bates live under a rock.

ITA. No way would their trip be $25k. There is a reason it is a cheap honeymoon spot.

I hope the Bates "kids" partied while their parents were away working on making another blessing.

You can wear something to the beach that is modest without looking like you are trying to be noticed. Oh wait, of course they want to be noticed. That's the whole point.

The photo looks like they were taking a stroll on the beach before or after dinner--look how empty it is and only their own footprints. I bet that's why they're dressed like that.

Kind of nice to hear them say how good their friends were to do this for them, makes a refreshing change from some families who get TLC swag and pretend its just good money management on their part.

Gil looks like an idiot wearing those '90s pleated pants and dress shoes on the beach. Even David Waller wore board shorts on the beach in Australia.

Agreed. At least Kelly looks like she is dressed for a stroll on the beach. Gil could have at least taken off his shoes and rolled up his pants an inch or two.

Agreed. At least Kelly looks like she is dressed for a stroll on the beach. Gil could have at least taken off his shoes and rolled up his pants an inch or two.

This. Even if they did go there after dinner, it wouldn't be that difficult for Gil to take off his shoes and roll up his pants slightly. At the very least, board shorts are relatively modest, since they're about the length of those Wholesome Wear suits.

There are a lot of things that I find squicky (that is a word right?) about the Bates - including the matching outfits! Yet they do seem more genuine and likeable than say the Duggars. Also Kelly sounds genuinely grateful for the trip (which would also be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me too as I am a) a student and b)live in the UK!) I still haven't quite forgiven her for the March for Life post though - which was a sharp reminder of the beliefs they really have.

I don't begrudge the Bates this trip, because I do think that couples getting away every now and then is important.

HOWEVER, if you consistently have to borrow from your children just to make ends meet, maybe $600+ a person is too much to spend on a trip. Take a trip, sure. But maybe take a more modest one that costs $200 a person and use that extra money to feed your children.

Look, there are plenty of people that DON'T have eleventy billion kids BECAUSE they want to be able to take trips to Hawaii. And then there are people who recognize that if you have that many kids, you sacrifice large trips. It's about choices. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Most couples don't take huge trips for their 25th anniversaries because they can't afford it. AND IF YOU BORROW FROM YOUR KIDS TO MAKE ENDS MEET, YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT.

The Bates may be charismatic, but they live an incredibly selfish lifestyle. They depend on their older girls to help raise their children. They depend on their older boys to help make ends meet. Everything is about THEM and THEIR marriage, even though their adult children should start having lives that are their own. And taking a trip like this is incredibly selfish when they aren't even financially self-sufficient.

good grief, the matching outfits.

I have just about decided that somewhere along the way someone read a family photographer's suggestion to have people in a group photo dress in the same few colors to keep the picture from being cluttered. (THe family reunion photographer we had a couple of years ago did, and it is pretty common) Since they are now all being photographed all the time, they dress in matching colors all the time.

Or they are just doofs.

Did they pay for this at all cos what I have read they paid $600 for this lifetime time trip well think of the food on the table for that instead of mooching of one of the kids just saying cos that's what they'll do on their return.

Sorry I can't be all they are happy bollocks if they paid anything to this.

Archived