IGNORED

Fundies and alcohol

YPestis

Yep way too many seem to think that it was Grape Juice not really wine... been to one church that basically taught that (poor deluded pastor) the funny thing is that he would then say that wine was for an upset stomach so it was ok for a sip to settle your tummy but then would say something about there being other remedies now a days so still not ok to have any :P

I think fundies must have thought they had refrigeration back then in the good old days. Grape juice will ferment in very little time. and there is a very good chance back then the wine had far more alcohol in it and that's why it was watered down for regular meals.

Blair Tsantles (Princess Kelly BRADRICK's sister, wife of the child groom Taylor) has posted cocktail popsicles and wine on her Pinterest before, and I'm pretty sure they are Baptist.

I suppose different IFB churches could have different beliefs (with the whole Independent part), but I wouldn't think they would drink alcohol since that is a traditional Baptist no-no.

I think fundies must have thought they had refrigeration back then in the good old days. Grape juice will ferment in very little time. and there is a very good chance back then the wine had far more alcohol in it and that's why it was watered down for regular meals.

Indeed it will. Plus, water isn't universally safe to drink, and it certainly wasn't then. Alcohol in many places was consistently safer than water.

Indeed it will. Plus, water isn't universally safe to drink, and it certainly wasn't then. Alcohol in many places was consistently safer than water.

Yes, in the UK in the middle ages people drank ale instead of water.

Psss..don't tell the US Fundies that their Puritan forefathers drank beer for breakfast/lunch/dinner! [couldn't trust the water, after all!]

As for Anabaptist fundies--Mennonites, Amish, etc.--it is my understanding that some sects drink & some do not. Lots of German influence, after all!

I also grew up in a Southern Methodist & Baptist family that was told in sunday school that by golly, every word of the Bible is absolutely true--except for that one line about Jesus turning water into wine! Just a mistranslation, nothing to see here... :roll:

Jews are fine with moderate drinking. Or not-so moderate when it's Purim :)

I get the feeling that there's a Calvinist/Baptist split here. So the VF crowd is fine with moderate drinking but the IFB crowd abstain. Is that correct?

Also: unfermented grapejuice in Bible times is silly. Fermentation is a preservation technique. Imagine how quickly that grapejuice would have gone off in a Middle Eastern climate with no refrigeration.

I once made a commitment to never let alcohol pass my lips at at IFB church. Alcohol was the drink of the devil and it took me forever to get up the nerve to drink.

I think there is a big fear of loosing control if there is any drinking. These are people who need god to micromanage their lives so booze would interfere with that.

My observation of US Protestant fundies is that generally the ATI/Baptist type doesn't drink, and the VF/Reformed crowd does.

This makes sense given my experience of non-fundie varieties of both. I was raised Southern Baptist and alcohol was verboten (though most everyone's parents drank at home in secret). I became Presbyterian when I started dating my now husband, and I just about fell over when we were served beer at a Sunday School party. Because of the rich German and Scottish influence, Calvinists/Presbyterians can and do drink quite a bit (Hallelujah)!

I wonder if Stevie Maxwell ever had a drink before he was 'saved'.

Also smoking, any Fundies smoke? - Mummy Arndt always sounds like she is on 40 a day in the man-boys videos.

Anglicans & Church of Ireland certainly can.

As far as I know Lutherans, Coptics, Eastern Orthodox, are all given wine at church.

Lutherans do use wine - though some churches I've attended do have grape juice for those who don't want to drink wine.

There are also a lot of jokes about Lutherans drinking a lot of beer because a lot of Lutherans are descended from Germans (myself included - I'm about 75% German... though not a fan of beer).

Archived