IGNORED

BIRTH CONTROL: How Did We Get Here? Trailer 2

AtroposHeart

This engagingly fast-paced documentary takes a historic look at the modern church's public embrace and overwhelming acceptance of child prevention and family planning as biblical theology. The reinterpretation of Scripture and rejection of our church history in the mid twentieth century allowed for responsible planned procreation. No longer was the raising of godly seed seen as the primary purpose of marriage; but now marriage was redefined as a union "intended for companionship and mutual spiritual aid". This new view, brought on by the European spread of eugenics, brought rise to a departure from centuries of universal agreement among all branches of the church. In essence, the church was complicit in championing "privacy in marriage" to allow the liberty of responsible planned parenthood, heedless of scriptural authority or precedence.

Ha! Maybe I'm too much of an evil leftist but that quote reads like the change towards religious allowance of BC is fantastic to me.

"They did it without permission, consensus, or authority . Brave ordinary couples grabbed their fertility back from the diabolical clutches of patriarchal pro-fecundity dogma. In a stunning display of progressiveness, they met with only limited pockets of resistance amongst certain sects. This lead to widespread questioning on other long accepted practices and ushered in an era of enlightenment and thought in religion instead of blindly acceptance of tradition.... and it kicked ass!"

Amazing what happens when people stop and actually question their lives. "Why should we have to have umpteen children we can't afford and live in poverty when we can have two children and have a good life?" People finally wised up and told the church to go screw themselves. If the church didn't adapt, it wouldn't be here today. There are a lot of things in the bible that are not followed any longer. People change. Culture changes. That's not always a bad thing. People are happier when they feel they have control of their lives.

This quote made me see red: "When there’s a difficult issue, a hard question, go look at the history of God’s people and if you see God’s people throughout the history of the church, 100% of the people took the same view, there’s a pretty good chance that that’s the right view."

Really?? Really?????

Like when 100% of the people thought slavery was OK?

Like when 100% of the people thought child labour was just dandy?

ARGH - this made me just throw up my hands.

Without watching the preview, just reading the title:Isn't it fucking incredible? That such a relatively unsophisticated technology can revolutionise the quality if life for so many millions of people? That starvation, neglect, forced birth, so much evil can be ended just by letting people have free choice over when or if to have a child?

Science rocks!

Erm, if you actually READ the bible, you'd know that marriage has ALWAYS been primarily about companionship. When God created Eve, he said, "it is not good for man to be alone." This, in fact, was his primary reason for creating her; Adam needed companionship. That has always been the primary purpose of relationships.

I swear, these fundies never actually READ the bible!

Erm, if you actually READ the bible, you'd know that marriage has ALWAYS been primarily about companionship. When God created Eve, he said, "it is not good for man to be alone." This, in fact, was his primary reason for creating her; Adam needed companionship. That has always been the primary purpose of relationships.

I swear, these fundies never actually READ the bible!

The only Bible passage that I remember that speaks specifically about anything close to birth control is the passage of Onan "spilling his seed" in order to not impregnate his brother's widow--but that was because he knew that under the customs of the time, any child he fathered with his brother's widow would carry on his brother's name and get his brother's inheritance. So it was less about not wanting a child and more about selfishly not wanting to provide for his brother's widow. It makes me :evil: to see fundies misuse the passage.

This quote made me see red: "When there’s a difficult issue, a hard question, go look at the history of God’s people and if you see God’s people throughout the history of the church, 100% of the people took the same view, there’s a pretty good chance that that’s the right view."

Really?? Really?????

Like when 100% of the people thought slavery was OK?

Like when 100% of the people thought child labour was just dandy?

ARGH - this made me just throw up my hands.

Plus anyone saying 100% of people think the same on ANY topic is guaranteed to be wrong 100% of the time :lol:

I wonder if these people would feel the same way when applied to Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists etc? Whenever fundies talk about birth control == bad, it's always in context to how it means less Godly children. How do they feel about nonChristians being encouraged to be fruitful and multiple? Or those agonistics, atheists, secular Christians who may pass on their unGodly beliefs. Is it good for them to have more kids? Or are these anti-BC people thinking only in terms of Godly Christians?

Now, this wouldn't possibly have anything to do with changing social and economic realities, would it?

Families wouldn't have needed much encouragement to procreate when the extra labor that children would provide was needed on the farm, and when your kids were basically your retirement and/or disability plan.

Industrialization, urbanization and the growth of pensions/insurance/nursing homes would have changed things.

The only Bible passage that I remember that speaks specifically about anything close to birth control is the passage of Onan "spilling his seed" in order to not impregnate his brother's widow--but that was because he knew that under the customs of the time, any child he fathered with his brother's widow would carry on his brother's name and get his brother's inheritance. So it was less about not wanting a child and more about selfishly not wanting to provide for his brother's widow. It makes me :evil: to see fundies misuse the passage.

And Onan's sin was not the spilling of his seed, it was defying God. It would have been the SAME OUTCOME if Onan had refused to sleep with his brother's wife entirely. He directly disobeyed God, and THAT'S what God was mad about.

So if God comes to you and says "So-and-So, I command you to get pregnant.", then it's a sin if you choose not to. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's cool to use your GOD GIVEN BRAIN to decide when enough is enough.

So 1st century AD celibate marriages fit into their scheme of HOW CHRISTIANS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN how, exactly?

And Onan's sin was not the spilling of his seed, it was defying God. It would have been the SAME OUTCOME if Onan had refused to sleep with his brother's wife entirely. He directly disobeyed God, and THAT'S what God was mad about.

So if God comes to you and says "So-and-So, I command you to get pregnant.", then it's a sin if you choose not to. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's cool to use your GOD GIVEN BRAIN to decide when enough is enough.

Thank you for articulating it better than I did!

Archived