IGNORED

Get Cultured

happy atheist

18 hours ago, Sicily said:

I'm just wondering what labels like "The Elderly", "Espoused" etc under people's avatars mean. I've been through the rules and the FAQ a couple of times and didn't find anything about that.

Some of the titles were changed about a year ago, so the FAQ has the old titles:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180822-140537.thumb.jpg.bd718291c65c1b609fb1388ec5595315.jpg

I made a reminder for myself, with the new titles next to old ones:

Spoiler

20180822_103026.thumb.jpg.60e5f6f2593eacd42c1187d62df2e36b.jpg

So, a brand new member has the title "Kidult" for first 2 weeks. From 2 weeks to 6 months, we get the title "Espoused", and from 6 months on, we get "The Elderly". The different groups help the system know which things a user has permissions for, I think. Only posters who have been members for over 6 months can use the forum "Are You There FJ, It's Me Margaret?", for example.

Also, at least one of those titles was created since the last time the FAQ was updated; "Welcome Wagon". Right now, that's just @Palimpsest and me, because we often end up trying to help people who have questions. 

And "Sock Princesses" is a set of accounts that the admins and helpmeets use to test different things after an update, or when there's a technical problem. 

I think it's great that you're exploring things so thoroughly, @Sicily. Keep asking questions, and we'll keep doing our best to answer them!

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
fixed tagging
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

On 9/25/2019 at 5:27 AM, Sicily said:

I'm just wondering what labels like "The Elderly", "Espoused" etc under people's avatars mean. I've been through the rules and the FAQ a couple of times and didn't find anything about that.

You get a few gold stars for both reading the FAQ and for asking the question. 

Yes, what @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said.  Thanks!

Just a couple of minor corrections.

12 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Only posters who have been members for over 6 months can use the forum "Are You There FJ, It's Me Margaret?", for example.

Access to AYTFJ is still limited to members who have 75+ posts.  I don't think people with <75 posts can even see it.  We did discuss opening it to people with 6 months of membership and lower post counts but TPTB eventually decided against it.  Blame that decision on a couple of repeat trolling troublemakers.  

AYTFJ isn't a super-secret place.  It is just a place where members post more personal things.  We also have clubs for many personal issues that we wish people would use more.  Some clubs are open to all, but anyone can apply for membership to a closed (sensitive area) club whatever their post count.   Examples of closed clubs are the Adoption and Caregivers clubs.

Also the Wiki Project sadly never got off the ground for a number of reasons.  @Curious may start it up again at some point and ask for volunteers.  It may be a bit redundant now because Fundie Wiki is doing a pretty good job for us.

13 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

"Welcome Wagon". Right now, that's just @Palimpsest and me, because we often end up trying to help people who have questions. 

For our sins!  No good deed goes unpunished on Free Jinger.:D

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

39 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Access to AYTFJ is still limited to members who have 75+ posts.  I don't think people with <75 posts can even see it.  We did discuss opening it to people with 6 months of membership and lower post counts but TPTB eventually decided against it.  Blame that decision on a couple of repeat trolling troublemakers.  

Actually, it is 6 months now.  we figured out a way to do it after one of the software updates.  It's even automated so we don't have to try and remember to move people into the new group!

41 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

For our sins!  No good deed goes unpunished on Free Jinger.

bwhahahahahahaha

41 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Also the Wiki Project sadly never got off the ground for a number of reasons.  @Curious may start it up again at some point and ask for volunteers.  It may be a bit redundant now because Fundie Wiki is doing a pretty good job for us.

I actually have a new project that I just figured out last night.  I need to talk to you about it after I finish the navigation changes/duggar/bates forum reorganization. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Just out of curiosity, how long does someone have to be inactive for to get “apostate”? I mainly notice it if I’m reading old threads. 

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Curious said:

Actually, it is 6 months now.  we figured out a way to do it after one of the software updates.  It's even automated so we don't have to try and remember to move people into the new group!

I like this change. I love to read over here but I just can't write in English. It would take me years to have 75 posts...

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Melinda said:

I like this change. I love to read over here but I just can't write in English. It would take me years to have 75 posts...

Well, your English is excellent compared to my non-existent Finnish!

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Just out of curiosity, how long does someone have to be inactive for to get “apostate”? I mainly notice it if I’m reading old threads. 

We don't publish some of this kind of stuff to stop shenanigans, but I will say it's more than 2 months and less than 8 months.

To be in that group you have to have not logged in at all during that period of time.

People do eventually come home in a lot of cases.  There are so many posters I miss and hope they will return someday.   I always notice when reading older threads, as well.

I recently changed it so you can give lapsed and apostate reputation for their posts.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

Just now, Curious said:

I recently changed it so you can give lapsed and apostate reputation for their posts.

Good to know. I thought I noticed that in an old thread, but I thought I was imagining things. ?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Curious said:

We don't publish some of this kind of stuff to stop shenanigans, but I will say it's more than 2 months and less than 8 months.

See, I thought the answer to that question was:  When Curious gets around to it. ;)

3 hours ago, Curious said:

I stand corrected and that is very good news.  I was on the side of the 6 month rule in that discussion IIRC. :)

• Upvote 3