IGNORED

Get Cultured

happy atheist

Hello to those new to FJ. We're pretty free-spirited on this board, but we don't much care for personal attacks or folks who respond before reading a couple of pages of a post.

And we are try to be careful about questioning the gender-preference of anyone age 18 or younger. It could cause much trouble for that person within their household.

To all of you -

Please feel free to contact a mod or admin if you have a question and are a bit shy about posting it on the board :)

Welcome to FJ!

• 2 years later...
Are there any rules, written or unwritten, regarding the selection of avatars?

Welcome!

There is one rule for sure: no moving gifs. An avatar with a real person who FJers don't recognize may raise some eyebrows, but I'm not sure if there's a rule about it.

I'm glad you're going to use an avatar. I'm tired of looking at the stock images. :D

Are there any rules, written or unwritten, regarding the selection of avatars?

Chicken.

• Upvote 1

Iirc wasn't there some rule put in place about swastika avatars?

Iirc wasn't there some rule put in place about swastika avatars?

How could I forget? :doh:

That poster reappeared the other day and I happened to reread the rules because of them! So yeah, no hate speech in your avatar.

!  {TEXT1}:
Thank you for asking!

Avatars can not contain hate speech or symbols of hate (such as the aforementioned swastika).

Don't copy anyone else's avatar.

Avatars need to be Safe For Work - no nudity, gore, etc.

Don't try to get clever and push us, trying to find where the boundaries are.

!  {TEXT1}:
Thank you for asking!

Avatars can not contain hate speech or symbols of hate (such as the aforementioned swastika).

Okay, examole question. NST and that one other person (I forget their name) have the same smoochy Benessa pic. I don't think anyone copied the other and I am not sure they ever minded sharing the same avatar. Is the no-duplicate-avatar rule for readability or just to avoid copy-trolls bothering people?

Okay, examole question. NST and that one other person (I forget their name) have the same smoochy Benessa pic. I don't think anyone copied the other and I am not sure they ever minded sharing the same avatar. Is the no-duplicate-avatar rule for readability or just to avoid copy-trolls bothering people?

I wondered about that too. I think more than two members have similar "Guinn you could be a grandmother in a year" avatars too, which doesn't bother me, but can be confusing.

This is what I'm worried about. This is a big enough board that if I find a funny meme and want to make it my avatar, chances are pretty good that somebody already thought of it.

I think the name is rabbitKM or something like that because I'm always thinking nst is posting something lengthy/wordy and then I scroll up and it's not her. A lot of newbies from the Jessa pregnancy board picked up the Guinn one because someone suggested it as a good avatar.

I think the name is rabbitKM or something like that because I'm always thinking nst is posting something lengthy/wordy and then I scroll up and it's not her. A lot of newbies from the Jessa pregnancy board picked up the Guinn one because someone suggested it as a good avatar.

LOL, yes! When I was super new, I would think nst and rabbitKM were the same person based on the avatar. Then one day I realized that nst was more of a funny/nonsense/cheery poster, and I was surprised because I associated the username nst with rabbitKM's posts--and of course rabbitKM has more of a serious/thoughtful style. Quite amusing. XD But, it was my fault for looking at the avatar instead of checking the username each time.

Chicken.

OKTBTK HATES me. That is a rule. She thinks it is hilariously funny to torture me with visions of canned chicken or bald, headless chickens squirting eggs.

OKTBTK HATES me. That is a rule. She thinks it is hilariously funny to torture me with visions of canned chicken or bald, headless chickens squirting eggs.

She hates us all. :cry:

• 1 month later...

Does my avatar qualify as hate speech? :sho

Does my avatar qualify as hate speech? :sho

I can't tell what's in front of Grumpy Cat, but unless that's something terribly offensive, then no. Telling someone to "stay over there" is fine. We're talking about epithets and the like.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Is there a reason why we don't get messages for downvotes?

I personally would love to know if one of my posts was disliked. I'd like to know if I upset someone i referred to/quoted whom i considered reasonable or liked to read. I would also like to know if I upset several users at once by poor wording or by an insulting message. I guess I'm still a bit insecure if my tone/wording fits the FJ-culture.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Red Jumper said:

Is there a reason why we don't get messages for downvotes?

I personally would love to know if one of my posts was disliked. I'd like to know if I upset someone i referred to/quoted whom i considered reasonable or liked to read. I would also like to know if I upset several users at once by poor wording or by an insulting message. I guess I'm still a bit insecure if my tone/wording fits the FJ-culture.

We used to be able to see downvotes on our profile but I don't think that is working right now. (Not a mod. Just noticed that.) 

• Upvote 2

Oh! You are right: I've once seen a downvote at my profile, now it is gone (having over-analyzed it because it showed up 3times and I thought this was a hidden pre-0-points-warning i know where to look). This system is a bit glitchy, showing random events 3times and then changing it back to once. But I never considered they are gone.

Actually I thought if there would be possibility to get a separate notification on downvotes opposed to upvotes. (Because downvotes are "special" to me, albeit not in a good way)

• 2 years later...

I'm just wondering what labels like "The Elderly", "Espoused" etc under people's avatars mean. I've been through the rules and the FAQ a couple of times and didn't find anything about that.

Edited by Sicily