IGNORED

Introduce Yourself

Deleted04

I'm 25 and originally from Texas, but currently living in a mid-sized city in Korea. I've taught English to pre-k, kindergarten, and early elementary school students for the past 2 years and soaked up Korean culture (and quite a bit of the language.)

About to leave to travel around Thailand for a month, then reunite with family and friends during the summer, then start school to get my Master's in Education, and try my hand at teaching in the States. I know I'm in for quite a bit of reverse culture shock, but have realized teaching is what I really love to do.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 33, single with two cats who hate each other, German, but went to school in Boston and lived in NYC for a while. I have a music degree.

I don't even remember how I found the Duggars, it was probably during one of my sleepless nights spent on YouTube.

Hi! :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Im 21 years old and am majoring in history and political science. I've been with my partner for nearly two years and my research thesis is tentatively titled 'Impact of Stay at Home Daughters in the Christian Patriachy Movement'. I'm writing it from a radical feminist perspective, so I've been lurking (and occasionally posting) on the FJ forum for about two years now.

My gateway fundies were definitely the Duggar family, there was an article in the paper about them when Hannie was born. Ever since then I've read all I could, watched the specials online whenever I could and generally watched on in astonishment as they became more and more well known in both the US and Australia. From the Duggars, I found the Maxwells, not exactly sure what the link was now but have been following their blog and D/M Corners for quite a while now. I initially stumbled across FJ when trying to find a 'Free Jessa' group on facebook. It's amazing the places the web can take you and I've never looked back!

The main challenge now is remembering all of the fundie families I follow and trying to work out how they are all connected! The Morton's have got me tied up in knots! I can never remember who is who and who is married to who!

I'm planning a research trip to the US next year and my university has given me permission to seek interviews with families. Number one on my list is definitely the Maxwells, but my supervisor (who is familiar with Titus2) and I are trying to work out the best approach in contacting Steve-O. Any advice O Great Hive Vagina?

Edited: Because I cannot construct a sentence.

Wow, hi! That sounds amazing! (...Do you mind if I ask where you go to uni?)

I'm 20, single, also from Melbourne, and about to start my final year of my BA majoring in history and Australian studies. Next year I am on to Masters, then onto teaching high school history, literature, and English. I saw a Duggar episode on Discovery Home and Health in 2009 and have been totally fascinated by fundies since then.

I'm also from Australia, but from Adelaide, where I've lived all my life. I have a partner and two fur-kids, with a couple of degrees under my belt. I work in arts administration but I'm also a musician and teacher, and on the boards of a couple of performing arts organisations. I'm absolutely passionate about excellence in music performance and education. I look back to the time of Mozart with fondness - I, too, could do with a patron to pay me to do all these amazing (some unpaid) opportunities and relieve me from the reality of paying the mortgage.

I remember when I first heard about the Duggars: we were on a road-trip to a music festival, at a roadhouse somewhere between Adelaide and Melbourne. Over my crappy coffee, I read a trashy magazine article about this family with a zillion kids in appalling clothing whose names all started with J. I think I must have remembered them once I got home and looked them up. And then I found there were MORE of these families...

And Alikat - I want to read your thesis when it's done!

Oh and I'm 42, which apparently means I know the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

:-D

I think I love you :lol:

I'll be 35 next month, married with a daughter. I live in the mountains of Western NC. I'm a writer and currently a SAHM, though I'll be looking for work soon!

Soon to be 26, single, small-town Canadian female. Mother of two elderly feline furbabies, a male and a female. The Duggars were my first real introduction to the world of Christian patriarchy, though looking back now, my time spent as a Christian (Pentecostal) in my early teens had elements of the movement (a la 'I Kissed Dating Goodbye').

Long time lurker, first time poster....

I'm 31, currently live in VA but grew up in the midwest. I went to a small liberal arts school in Indiana and have a BA in History. I taught high school for a few years before getting married and having babies--we have 3 and that's enough!. I never planned on staying at home (and quite frankly, I'm not meant to be at home!) but my oldest has special needs and we have a newborn. I'm hoping to go to grad school in the near future for public history.

Growing up I was fascinated with the Amish and then the Duggars came along and I was hooked.

Oh, and I'm Methodist. We're even worse than the Catholics because we're liberal and let women AND homosexuals preach!

I'm in my mid 20's from the North East, finished college a few years ago and I'm engaged to a U.S. Marine. I'll actually be moving when he gets back from this deployment.

I'm 25, engaged to be married this year. I have a degree in Nutrition and a college diploma in special education. Former Catholic fundy, ran screaming when my dad "allowed" me to go to school to " fill my time". No kids or pets yet, but I am the proud aunt of two dogs. I am currently working as a wedding blogger.

Hi. I'm a devoted lurker and sporadic poster. FJ is my dirty little secret and my secret glimpse into the world of extreme fundies.

I live in Ontario, Canada, have three boys (one of whom is profoundly disabled) and I'm in my mid-forties. I started my life as an therapist and was a doctoral candidate in the health sciences in another lifetime, but withdrew because of my son's health. Fast-forward a few years and I decided to take some theology courses to avoid going crazy at home (I know, weird). Being cooped up at home as a full-time caregiver was driving me batty. Those courses ended up becoming a second masters degree, this one in theology (my first was in science). I am presently doing a doctorate in theology with an interest in spiritual care and ethics.

I have a husband, a black lab, two cats and a partridge in a pear tree. I have a die-hard caffeine addiction nurtured during years of extreme sleep-deprivation and I believe that good wine paired with aged cheddar is a sure sign God loves us and wants us to be VERY happy. I don't get the fundy thing about wine=grape juice.

I grew up admid conservative (but not fundy) influences and I am now a far-left Christian bordering on universalist.

(edited, because I can't think and type!)

Good to meet y'all.

Female, 27, British, a triplet, engaged to be married in May. I have a BA in history and music and a Masters in archives and records management (which is my professional qualification), and I'm currently hunting for a job as an archivist. I was brought up Church of England and would describe myself as culturally Christian but spiritually agnostic. I live in a historic little city near London, adore classical music (in the broader sense of the word), play several musical instruments and am interested in history, anthropology, psychology and similar subjects.

My gateway fundies were the Duggars; I *think* I might have seen an article about them when Mackynzie was born, but I first properly came across them when I was looking online for information about families with more than one set of twins. I then found my way to FJ via the Duggar thread on TWOP, and have remained here ever since. I find religious fundamentalism fascinating, particularly as we have hardly any fundies here in England. Before discovering FJ I never realised that fundamentalism was so widespread in the US!

I'm a 23 year old female and I live in Rahway, New Jersey. I graduated high school at 16 and then went to college, studied psychology and sustainable development and then dropped out in my junior year due to my ADHD and chronic pain. :P In the past, I've worked as a professional organizer specializing in compulsive hoarding and chronic disorganization, mainly working with low income individuals who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford an organizer's services. Currently, I am a housewife/housefiancee and am enjoying every second of it! My fiance is my high school sweetheart and is 24, has his masters in global environmental policy and works for a nonprofit in NYC that is promoting climate change awareness; we're getting married on April 22 of this year! We have one cat (getting another soon) and are beginning to think seriously about getting pregnant because we both want to be done having babies by the time we're 30 or so. Eek!

I don't think I had specific "gateway fundies". I came across Ladies Against Feminism while researching womanism for a class and have continued to come across various fundie sites in my searches for modest clothes. I don't believe most things that fundies believe, but I am pretty huge on modesty; I don't wear swimsuits--haven't since before puberty--and I am covered from wrist to neck to ankle every day, even in the summer. Another fundie-esque thing about me is that, while I have immense respect for women who work and manage their families, I do wish that there was more respect for women who -choose- to stay home rather than pursue careers.

edited cos I'm OCD like that

I'm 23 years old, college graduate with a Biotechnology degree, and live in the Metro Atlanta area in Georgia. I'm currently trying to find a job in the medical research field and want to eventually become a Microbiologist. I'm in a committed relationship with my super charming guy of 4 years and do not practice excessive hand sex like some of the fundies we know.

I am 34 years old from Alberta, Canada. I am married 12 years now and have 2 kids. Girl 7 and boy 3. I am a college grad working in the construction and manufacturing sector. My hubby is oilfield. We also farm. Can't get any more redneck than that i think.

I grew up with a mennoite father, and a catholic mother, who felt that patriarchy was the only way to parent but had the unusual belief that it only worked till we turned 18. In my efforts not to be my mother i spent alot of years being my father and am trying to find a balance.

When going to school there was a few fundies (probley lites compared to the US) and I have always just wanted to know what makes them tick.

(PS. I grew up in a Baptist heavy town. My parents refused to allow us kids to go to any activities at the Baptist church for fear that they would try to convert us to their "Bible-Thumping Ways. And i was accused in Grade 3 that i was a non-christian heathen by a class mate because I didnt attend their church.) :twisted:

I'm 41. I live in the suburbs of NYC (and have all of my life) and have a B.A. I am married and child-free. I work, but don't do anything terribly interesting or deep. In fact, thanks to massive layoffs at the megacorporation I work for, I'll be unemployed come May.

I was raised Catholic, but in my pre-teen years got sucked in by some evangelical Protestants (conservative Presbyterians -not super fundie) where I learned about being "saved" and "asking Jesus into your heart" and that sort of thing. I was very drawn to it as a nerdy girl who always did the right thing and had few friends. I was also very afraid of the dark, so to speak, and feared the devil and going to hell and wanted to be Christian to stay safe. I never really felt saved or happy as I struggled to be Christian, so I eventually came to try out paganism (hence my handle) and am pretty agnostic/borderline atheist at this point.

ETA - Since I noticed everyone else is mentioning pets, I have 3 horses who technically don't belong to me. I "share" a Pony of the Americas and a Chincoteague pony (both mares) with my mother. My husband has a Quarter Horse/Arabian cross mare who is the true love of his life. He rides her in dressage competitions, but I swear he's straight!

I'm a perpetually 29 year old :lol: mother of 2 girls, 13 and 10. We live overseas right now, but will be back in the US (much to my chagrin) in a few months.

I got interested in fundies after moving to Mississippi, and tried to join a home school group. Wow- what an eye opener. My oldest was K age then, and its only gotten worse. I am incensed that fundies are going to ruin home schooling for the rest of us, and also that people didn't let their kids come to her 7th birthday because she read Harry Potter. No, really. A friend (who while my total opposite was and is a real, true friend) had a catolog from Vision Forum, and the rest is history. I followed "Under Much Grace" and some random blogs before finding FJ via No Longer Quivering. I've been a fundy-watcher for going on 7 years now, and when bored and sleepless once made a huge association matrix of fundies and extremists and Republican politicians that just flat scared me.

We still home school, and my kids now identify the "skirt wearing home schoolers" we meet at gatherings and classes, and self-modify their conversation topics accordingly. Which ought to be sad, but I guess compromise makes the world go round. I long for the day we move somewhere with the "cool" home schoolers, so I can finally prove to my kids that we are NOT the weird ones here, with our Harry-Potter-reading, evolution-teaching selves. Sigh...

I think I love you :lol:

Me too! It seems I'm also on my way to knowing the answer - but I'll never know the question. God apologizes for the inconvenience.

I'm 23, married, with 2 children- a 3-year-old son and an 11.5-month-old daughter. I live in North Dakota, but grew up in MI (where I say I'm from), OH, and PA. My husband and I both come from a conservative Mennonite (the original fundies, IMO) background, but my upbringing was sprinkled with a good dose of ATI, as well as the Charity movement. We're now evangelical Christians (you guys would probably call us fundy lite) and I don't see us ever going back to any kind of "plain" lifestyle ever again.

I can't remember how I found FJ, but I've been lurking off and on for I've a year. I am vehemently against any kind of Christian patriarchy since I have seen the dangers of it first hand- my father was abusive in every way possible, but it was ok because he's the father. Besides ATI and Charity, NGJ was also welcomed in our home.

I, for one, will probably work outside the home once my kiddos are in teh ebil public school. Unless one of them really does get more benefit from homeschooling, then we'll rethink it.

I'm a 34 year old Optometric Assistant off on mat leave with our 6 month old son. We also have a 6 year old son. Happily married for 10 years but no, I don't think my husband's semen is the most sacred substance ever... :D

Free Jinger has kept me sane during late night nursing sessions!

I'm 34, a PhD student (writing dissertation!) in Early Christian Studies, married, no kids.

I grew up fundie (ATI) and attended both Oak Brook College of Law (dropped out) and Patrick Henry College (graduated). PHC was pretty much the last straw of my already fading fundie-ness. Sorry for the mixed metaphor. :)

About two years ago I found this forum and it saved me from just reading fundie blogs and getting incoherent with rage and flashbacks.

I'm a 33 year old accountant who has been married for 11+ years (do the math, I got married quite young). We have three daughters ages almost 9, 7 and 4. Originally from New England, I've been stuck in the desert southwest since 2001. I drive by ZhuZhu's and the PP's church (in a sad strip mall) on an almost daily basis. The husband is a chef. My kids go to public school and/or full time daycare, because I work 40+ hours a week out of the home. We are non-religious. I am an atheist, the husband is an ex-catholic with many issues with organized religion. As a result, the children are being raised without religion- but we do celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday.

I've been interested in the Duggars since 2005.

I'm 33 YO. in the midwest (Michigan)

I grew up more-or-less fundie-medium (but, raised by reasonable people who just happened to be fundie and don't really want to control the world. mostly. Except for belonging to the WCTU so lobbying against all forms of drugs/alcohol/tobacco. Somewhere there are pictures of me as part of WCTU family of the year. [and IRL, 90% of the audience just went, "wtf is the WCTU?" :) ] --I am glad to say that they no longer lobby for such things and still are tee-teetotalers but are anti-legislation)

I went to a fundie-ish college and I studied evolutionary biology (yep, really. I started out creationist-ish and fundie-ish college fixed me) and English Lit.

I work in science-ed, have 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 husband and 1 baby.

Archived