IGNORED

Wow! Somebody Really Hates to Pay Taxes

GolightlyGrrl

Everyone complains about paying taxes-income, payroll, sales. Yet, paying taxes is a part of maintaining a civilized society and community.

However, I think a lot of people complain about paying taxes because they think a majority of it is going towards the undeserving poor, illegal immigrants, slutty women and their abortion parties, the gays, public schools, government workers, etc. Yet, these people are very silent when it comes to corporate welfare or taxes paying for a needless war in Iraq. And guess what, some of our largest corporations are paying very little in income taxes or not paying any at all.

I can never understand why people think they shouldn't have to pay any taxes. The government isn't free to run. We don't live in Star Trek where money doesn't exist.

Ummm, IIRC, they talked about using a monetary unit called a "credit" quite a bit.

Patrice's answer to not paying taxes-let's privatize everything

rural-revolution.com/2012/10/why-i-can-complain-about-taxes.html

Two things: Make the corporations pay more and don't give religion a tax exempt status. Imagine how much money would come in if even half the churches in the U.S paid taxes?

Check out this list of tax rate from 1913-2013 http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfound ... 2013_0.pdf It wasn't uncommon for the highest tax bracket to pay over 90% in taxes!

And yet Jesus said, "Render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's." I hate it when Christian fundies kick and complain about taxes-- that it's stealing-- when it was a blatent command from Jesus himself! Not to mention that Jesus said this when the government was actually CORRUPT and the people OVER TAXED. And still Jesus said, "tough luck. You live here? You pay the taxes." (paraphrased of course).

I enjoy paying taxes, because I've lived in Guatemala, and I know the benefits first hand of a government that takes care of its citizens. No clean water, clean streets, ummmm roads on mountain cliffs?! I'll pay for my luxeries, thank you!

I used to live in Guatemala as well! :dance: I agree - there are serious luxuries living in North America that I will gladly pay taxes for: clean water, safety regulations (you want to take a peek at a country with no enforced gun regulations - I would recommend a trip to Zone 18 in Guatemala City - bonus points if you are a white male with a chip on your shoulder), good healthcare, a police force that actually does their job, etc...

Also, most findies seem to skim over the verses in the Bible that talk about respecting the leaders in government and paying taxes :naughty:

And even though I am on a private water company's system, I know it is clean because of government assistance. (Both oversight and subsidies for infrastructure.)

Patrice's answer to not paying taxes-let's privatize everything

rural-revolution.com/2012/10/why-i-can-complain-about-taxes.html

That was absolutely fucking stupid. There are really no words but I'll try.

If you have ever seen in your entire life the difference between privatisation and public sector you will beg for the latter.

I get hospitalised on a regular basis (and am about to be again). Long term condition. One time I landed up in a hospital with really tasty food. Of course it was a bit school dinners (such is the nature of canteens) but I was so impressed. They even took a bit of time and effort to put all the things on your plate nicely to tempt you to eat. The nurses and doctors ate the same food as the patients. NHS staff with decent terms and conditions prepared it.

Another time I ended up in a different hospital and I got inedible goo. The food was outsourced to a private company in a different country and by the time it made its way up here you couldn't eat it. The nurses and doctors brought in a packed lunch and freely admitted it. My mum brought me in food. I did lose weight hand over fist, but I wasn't supposed to.

It's how it works. Privatisation makes things more expensive (for you) and crappier. It would be stupid to run a business any differently because the owners and stockholders are focused on profit. Worse goods, take everyone for what you can get.

Looking around Patrice's blog again. I know she always makes fun of people who comment on how dirty her house is, but it really IS dirty- is there a reason why she can't sand down and reoil that butcher block? My house is far from spotless, but even the parts that I haven't had time to paint from the previous owners (who were filthy) are scrubbed down and look cleaner, and even my butcher block gets sanded down and reoiled when needed. (and I'm the third owner of it- it was made for my grandparents' house, then my parents used it, and now I have it. It's not a "new" cabinet/counter. My parents have butcher block countertops and they get the same care, and even more use than my cabinet.)

Archived