IGNORED

What the Heck Are You People Talking About?

happy atheist

Adding another thank you for the resource area for newbies and lurkers. I read from time to time, but often give up if jargon, inside jokes and backstory becomes overwhelming.

Looks like I am going to be reading in this area a while. Thank you for the family summaries, updated blog lists, and other resources.

i've looked in your dictionary, it's not there or i wouldn't post this new post asking;

i've seen it a couple times on here, what does it mean?

i'll use it for you in a sentence i saw on here:

'buncha stuff i can't remember FLDS buncha stuff i can't remember

:?: :ugeek: :?:

Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, most notably known for Warren Jeffs. The fundie version of Mormons. Hope this helps. :)

It's a particular sect of fundamentalist Mormons, based in Short Creek.

Google Warren Jeffs, Yearning for Zion Ranch, Caroline Jessop and Flora Jessop for a start. The blog FLDS Texas has heaps of info too.

They are all over really. they have several towns where they control everything. It means they follow the old Mormon ways polygamy and all that crap.

LOL!

are they slave owners? do they forbid the planting of corn & ... wool or whateverthefuck in the same back 40??

lol sorry... i have a juvenile sense of humor. i laugh at the ridiculous rather than strictly 'the funny' :( one day i'll grow up.... Lord willing.....

They are all over really. they have several towns where they control everything. It means they follow the old Mormon ways polygamy and all that crap.

I really just wanted to clarify that not all fundamentalist Latter Day Saints are members of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS). It's a common perception, and it's really very inaccurate.

My goodness, this is so silly, but I must know. What is the origin of the Mr. Green Smile? Is it universal or specific to FJ? What does it mean? I like him and all, but wasn't sure of his significance.

My goodness, this is so silly, but I must know. What is the origin of the Mr. Green Smile? Is it universal or specific to FJ? What does it mean? I like him and all, but wasn't sure of his significance.

This one? :mrgreen:

I dont think he's special beyond just being an emoticon. He's pretty damn cool, though.

To my biggest surprise, some of my co-workers did not know what the word "snark" means or thought it was "really old fashioned" :o They were Aussie and from the US. And the other word, flounce, when I use it the FJ way, no one knows what I mean. Same with "defrauding" :lol:

This one? :mrgreen:

I dont think he's special beyond just being an emoticon. He's pretty damn cool, though.

Mr Green Smiley is my face when I excuse myself 3 seconds before throwing up. Very random things can make me throw up and I don't just run away impolitely. So Mr Green is always the "sickie wickie" smiley to me.

Does FJ even have control over its emoticons? Like could we add our own Zsu emoticon or do we have to just take what's there?

Does FJ even have control over its emoticons? Like could we add our own Zsu emoticon or do we have to just take what's there?

We can add our own emoticons yes. It's on my to do list to clean/freshen up our smilies a bit. We have some duplicates and I'm sure there are some that would be fun to add.

To my biggest surprise, some of my co-workers did not know what the word "snark" means or thought it was "really old fashioned" :o They were Aussie and from the US. And the other word, flounce, when I use it the FJ way, no one knows what I mean. Same with "defrauding" :lol:

Same! The word 'snark' doesn't exist in popular culture here.

What does TTH mean in reference to the Duggars? I know TTC is tater tot casserole but I am not sure about TTH and I have seen it several times in the Duggars thread.

What does TTH mean in reference to the Duggars? I know TTC is tater tot casserole but I am not sure about TTH and I have seen it several times in the Duggars thread.

It's Tinker Toy House. The Duggar house was two (iirc) of those kit houses they built together.

What was Alectogate? I stopped reading FJ for a while after it started requiring registration and missed a few months' worth of posts. I googled it but haven't been able to find the thread(s) where it happened.

Also, I know the move from Yuku to FJ is called the Rapture here. Is there a term used here for the transition to a registration-required board?

For Alectogate, you'll want to read the transition archive- viewforum.php?f=22

Alectogate is hard to sum up. Alecto used to own the board. Then she dumped ownership on Curious. Lots happened between the transition. The board lost some longtime posters, but survived the drama.

Is that thread in Chatter?

That reminds me of another question. Is Curious an old-time poster who changed her name? She has a high postcount but I don't remember her username from the days before the transition.

Is that thread in Chatter?

That reminds me of another question. Is Curious an old-time poster who changed her name? She has a high postcount but I don't remember her username from the days before the transition.

Hi :greetings-wavingblue:

Here is the short answer regarding Alectogate:

Several admins/mods thought things sounded hinky and started doing research into actual costs of the website. We found out it was far worse than we thought regarding finances, we gathered as much proof as we could and brought it to the community. Alecto lied again to cover her ass, I called her out, she handed ownership of the site over to me via a post, drama ensued, there were changes made (and still being made), things went back to normal, now we are here.

The thread is in the transition archive, but I believe it's got the same settings as Chatter.

I have always been Curious (a name I kick myself for picking every single day). I've been around since Yuku. I was a tech support mod during Alecto's ownership. I was actually more active on Yuku than after the rapture and I had pretty much stopped posting, other than to answer tech support questions, by mid-2012. I had around 1000ish posts, I think, when I suddenly found myself owner. I was active with my support/love of the board (I was running the FJ stores, for example), I just wasn't really active ON the board for a variety of reasons :)

Hmm. I used 'snarky' in a college admissions essay, which also got read at a board meeting of a big (locally) company. Flounce is perfect - I picture a brat snatching her toys in her big fluffy dress with flounces and leaving in a hurry, her dress swirling around behind her. Defrauding, though, that was a new one to me. Remember Grandma Duggar explaining why Joy was trying to cover the TV screen? It took a while for defrauding to sink in.

Hi Curious! Thanks for the response; you cleared up a few of my burning questions. Thanks also for doing so much for the board.

And thanks for posting that link, keen23. I'll have to get my postcount up so I can check it out. :D

Hi Curious! Thanks for the response; you cleared up a few of my burning questions. Thanks also for doing so much for the board.

And thanks for posting that link, keen23. I'll have to get my postcount up so I can check it out. :D

You're welcome :) If you have more questions, please feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer.