IGNORED

Karis Evangelynn Mueller

xReems

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went through my old high school yearbook and found a girl who was in my math class with this name:

Dy'mind-Peaches

I seriously wish I was making that name up. The girl had an older brother with a bizarre name too but he graduated right before I entered high school, if I'm not mistaken

I know there are lot of ways of spelling certain names but some people just take it way too far that makes you go "uhh, what the hell?"

There are an awful lot of urban legends regarding names, many of which have a racist tinge. Generally I think it's reasonable to give "L-a" and "Lemonjello" and "Female (pron. Fuh-MALL-ee)" and so on the side eye unless you meet them personally.

Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

So, this Karis/Charis stuff got me wondering... I used to babysit a couple of Welsh kids and the girl was named Carys (pronounced the same as Charis). Speshul snowflake spelling, or just weird Welsh?

Welsh! It was almost my name, actually. Although my father pronounced it more like kar-is rather than care-is, but that might be regional. It isn't related to the Greek name, though -- I think it comes from Cariad, meaning beloved. But my welsh is dodgy, to say the least, so don't take my word for that. :lol:

I have a cousin whose daughter's middle name is Love Lei (pronounced lovely, of course). And her first name has apostrophes and extra H's and stuff thrown in and I'm really not sure how to spell it.

I knew a girl named Tequila when I was a kid. I guess her parents really liked to drink :)

EtA: I found a link to Joe and Mary Jane's wedding video on the Mueller's blog. I'm watching now and there are some snarkworthy bits. The music is terrible.

Link if anyone wants:

jmjmwedding.com/

Possibly the strangest ones I have seen are Zhakory, Kaitlen (which is pronounced like Kaitlyn), Kailun, FayeLynn (sounds like failing) and Emilea (which is pronounced Emily, and before I heard her mother call her by name I had seen it written down and presumed it was pronounced like Amelia but with an E or Emi Leah). Emilea's mother is the sort of person that reminds me of Sparkly Lauren. She gave her kids weird names so she would be able to find them easier, as she has at least 4 kids in foster care.

Maybe for you, but not for me.

Maybe you're the origin, but I've been forwarded that bit of racist information for over 20 years. How long ago did you personally meet Placenta and her ignorant low-income mother?

I knew a girl named Tequila when I was a kid. I guess her parents really liked to drink :)

EtA: I found a link to Joe and Mary Jane's wedding video on the Mueller's blog. I'm watching now and there are some snarkworthy bits. The music is terrible.

Link if anyone wants:

jmjmwedding.com/

I worked with a lady who named her daughter Tequila back in the mid 90's. Not. Even. Joking. That little girl would be a young lady of about 15, 16, or 17 now. I wonder if it's the same person? I wondered if her parents had more children. I'd imagine they'd name them something like Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker or Midori Sour..... lol

I worked with a lady who named her daughter Tequila back in the mid 90's. Not. Even. Joking. That little girl would be a young lady of about 15, 16, or 17 now. I wonder if it's the same person? I wondered if her parents had more children. I'd imagine they'd name them something like Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker or Midori Sour..... lol

Tequila is a place. I wonder if some of these girls are named after that, like kids are named Paris. Maybe not the majority, but it could happen?

I went to high school with a fundie-light preacher's kid named Charis, pronounced "Karis" (it's Greek-derived, as someone upthread pointed out, and the letter CHI is transliterated, depending on who's doing it, either as "ch" or "k"). I can imagine someone wanting to use the name Charis but assuming it would be mispronounced all the time, so spelling it phonetically.

"Evangelynn" bothers me somewhat more, but I guess if you really don't want people pronouncing "Evangeline" to rhyme with "wine," you gotta do what you gotta do.

Tequila is a place. I wonder if some of these girls are named after that, like kids are named Paris. Maybe not the majority, but it could happen?

When I graduated from grad school there was a girl whose name was Brandy Alexander. I didn't actually know her, but I heard her name read off at the ceremony. ~Just for reference: a Brandy Alexander is a sweet, brandy-based cocktail consisting of cognac and crème de cacao.

I doubt this girl's parents would have known that. Some of their family members owned a bar, so that probably explains the name. Divadivine it couldn't be the same girl. This girl was older than me and would be in her mid-thirties by now.

Bah, as I've said before I'm related to a Chardonnay and a Brandy, and my brother had a notion of naming his kid after an entire football team :lol:

Even the names Small and Smaller have are called chavvy by some. (Um, obviously they aren't actually called Small and Smaller IRL :lol: )

I'm quite live and let live with names. Call your kid LeShawnDewetta, no prob, tell me how to pronounce it and I'm happy.

The Holts (Duggar friends) have a Kharis. Regardless of the variety of Kre8ive spellings, it seems to be a fairly popular name among fundies. I've also noticed that fundies are fond of the spelling Rebekkah instead of Rebecca. And, though I'm sure they must exist, I have never come across a Josiah in real life. Only in fundie-dom.

Nope, these parents didn't know about a place named Tequila. Trust me. I'm sure they thought Tequila would be a cool name for their child. I still wonder if they had any other children and what they named them. I wish I could remember the Mom's name so I could look her up on Facebook.

Archived