IGNORED

Karis Evangelynn Mueller

xReems

Yeah, creatively spelled names arent just fundie things. Ive seen some awful names on non fundie kids too.

No joke, the oddest name I ever saw (I worked in a hospital and often had to do my job in the maternity/L&D area) was Jhy'syca. :?

Jhy'syca.

Pronounced "Jessica."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I mis-read the thread title as 'Katniss Everdeen'...

The kreative spelling drives me nuts, but at least she's not a Jubilee Justice or a Heaven/Nevaeh.

No joke, the oddest name I ever saw (I worked in a hospital and often had to do my job in the maternity/L&D area) was Jhy'syca. :?

Jhy'syca.

Pronounced "Jessica."

2008 I had 6 in my class with the same name, only spelled differently. 3 were boys, 3 were girls.

Jayden

Jaidyn

Jadan

Jaydein

Ja'Din

Jadn'e

A fundie mom I know named her youngest daughter Myhealin Journey which is possibly the worst name I've heard short of the neighborhood kid whose parents named him Marmaduke, and my nephew who my sister-in-law named Gene not so bad except for the fact that his last name is Pool.

While working towards my teaching degree I too have had my share of interesting names in classes, particularly in lower-income areas. Just a few that I've encountered:

JaKory and his twin brother JaKolby

Twins Fendi and Chanel

Merlot

Dixie

BrieAnnah

Princess and, best of all...

Placenta (apparently when the child was born the mother heard the doctor say it was time to deliver the placenta and she just liked the sound of that word)

A fundie mom I know named her youngest daughter Myhealin Journey which is possibly the worst name I've heard short of the neighborhood kid whose parents named him Marmaduke, and my nephew who my sister-in-law named Gene not so bad except for the fact that his last name is Pool.

That's appalling, way to make it clear from day one that your child's life is all about you and your journey.

The creative names thing - ugh. Trying to write out Christmas card lists or party invitations for the children in my kid's classes is a nightmare, and there is always a parent who is offended that you haven't guessed the bizarre spelling if their kid's name correctly.

And my daughter's name is Rachel. Simple and traditionally spelt. But other parents write it in all sorts of strange ways when sending her party invites etc, like kree8tive spelling is now expected.

I would pick the K spelling of Karis over Charis or Carys because it's easier for people to remember/pronounce. All the kid would have to tell people is "Paris with a K."

Evangelynn instead of Evangeline... I'd use the traditional spelling for that one.

I love traditional names and spellings (Says a Natasha with a Julia), but this name doesn't bother me overmuch. :) I would like it better as Caris or Carys, but it's not bad. :)

Geez that baby's cheekies! Oh I just wanna kiss her little cheeks so baaaaaaad! My niece also had squeeshable kissable cheeks and I couldn't stay away from them! LOL! My baby wasn't so squishy, but she was still a cutie. LOL

My grandmother was Marymae Evangeline, because her mother was reading a collection of Edgar Allan Poe's work, and found "Evangeline." I would have named a girl after her, or some variation, but I had four boys, who she said she was just thrilled with and who needs a namesake when you have boys like that.

Seeing this made me smile and think of her.

Placenta (apparently when the child was born the mother heard the doctor say it was time to deliver the placenta and she just liked the sound of that word)

This is an urban legend.

The Evangel would be the four Gospels, the "good news".

I told ya, I hadn't had breakfast yet! :D

The author of "Evangeline" was Longfellow, not Poe. No biggy, just as a twice-displaced Cajun, I'm contractually obliged to give the gent credit where due. If not for him, the expulsion of the Acadians from Canada might never have come to light.

The Evangel would be the four Gospels, the "good news".

"Evangel" is a very unusual form of "evangelist", usually a titel ascribed to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Both forms derive from Greek "euangelion", "eu"=good, "angelos"=messenger, so "the good message".

-yes I used to study Theology, at a secular university, rather strange experience...

So, this Karis/Charis stuff got me wondering... I used to babysit a couple of Welsh kids and the girl was named Carys (pronounced the same as Charis). Speshul snowflake spelling, or just weird Welsh?

I gave my daughter a unique name... however, it was my great grandmother's name, so therefor its okay lol. And just in case she doesn't like it later on down the line, she has a nickname and a normal middle name.

I named my son Keaton which was inspired by the movie Annie Hall. His dad did the middle name of Russel. I figure if he eventually doesn't like his unique first name he has a more traditional middle name to fall back on.

I named my son Keaton which was inspired by the movie Annie Hall. His dad did the middle name of Russel. I figure if he eventually doesn't like his unique first name he has a more traditional middle name to fall back on.

KeatonMask.jpg

In my line of work, I often come across criminals with truly horrendous names. Some of my favourites include T'AshLynn, DuWaine Lancelot (lastname), Nyocka-Shackera, Teearra and Tasheena (twins), and Scrappy (whose real first name had been Darell but pronounced "da-rell", but he'd legally changed it to Scrappy).

Spider what game is that from? I do not play video or computer games.

The screenshot is from "Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask," which happens to be a Seriously Awesome Game made for the now defunct Nintendo 64. Keatons are also in "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" (another Seriously Awesome Game [and the precursor to "Majora's Mask"]) and in "Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap," which is a meh game.

Keaton.png

Cute baby. I actually like her middle name, but not the first name so much. Still, as far as fundy naming goes, I have seen much worse.

Archived