IGNORED

Autism explained

latraviata

mnb357, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for your bravery in sharing it with us.

I taught in Catholic schools for years, and in one we had an autistic boy in the 5th grade. He joined band, so I got to work with him. A new boy came to the school that year, and started making fun of Ben. It absolutely warmed my heart to see how his classmates rallied around Ben, and let the new boy know it was NOT ACCEPTABLE. But, they never attacked him. They just drew a line, rallied around Ben, and let this guy sort himself out. I was so proud of each and every one of them.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone with Asperger's, this is nothing new. My ex-husband who was becoming fundie-lite when I was with him, actually tried an exorcism on me, which was actually the last straw that led me to file the divorce papers and a restraining order. I'm glad I never had a child on the spectrum with him, as he probably could have killed that child in another exorcism attempt. When he tried the exorcism on me, he grabbed me by the hair so I couldn't get away when he put his hand on my head. He was emotionally abusive to the point that there were times when I thought suicide was the easier way out of the marriage. Fortunately, I saw a counselor who helped me realize that he doesn't have to hit to be abusive, and helped me get out. Naturally, my ex hated that therapist because she wasn't part of his church's social services section.

All I can think about, after reading this is Milton's quote from Paradise Lost "Abashed, the Devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is." Those would would write these things about innocent children are nothing more than evil incarnate, looking as these sweet children and, rather than acknowledge the good, they wish to drag it down into the depths of their own depravity.

I have no words for this. I really don't.

Archived