IGNORED

What are you listening to these days?

Freyacat

This is weird to explain, but lately I've been listening to late 70's/early 80's throwback stuff...mostly because I've been spending a lot of time in my old college town for football season, and the primary station there plays mostly that kind of music on gamedays. Current faves are Hall and Oates and Ronnie Milsap.

Some new, some old.

The Honeydogs, "What Comes After"

Richard and Teddy Thompson's recording of "Persuasion"

Decemberists, "Make You Better"

Elle Varner, "Fuck it All"

and ALL THE STROMAE

Some new, some old.

The Honeydogs, "What Comes After"

Richard and Teddy Thompson's recording of "Persuasion"

Decemberists, "Make You Better"

Elle Varner, "Fuck it All"

and ALL THE STROMAE

OUI! Stromae c'est magique. I'm in a French vibe too. :shock: And I love it.

I've been listening to Alex Nevsky (who sings his French despite his very russian name) for like 2 weeks now. So great.

OUI! Stromae c'est magique. I'm in a French vibe too. :shock: And I love it.

I've been listening to Alex Nevsky (who sings his French despite his very russian name) for like 2 weeks now. So great.

I don't even know French properly. But I fangirl nonetheless.

Will also check out Alex Nevsky-- I have a relative who is fluent and who listens to Quebecois podcasts to keep in practice. One of these days I am going to find her a Francophone singer to adore whom she doesn't already know about.

The Creole Choir of Cuba has become my newest obsession, and they sing in Haitian Kreyòl. I adore their lovely harmonies:

I don't even know French properly. But I fangirl nonetheless.

Will also check out Alex Nevsky-- I have a relative who is fluent and who listens to Quebecois podcasts to keep in practice. One of these days I am going to find her a Francophone singer to adore whom she doesn't already know about.

I can give you ideas, singers, band from Québec if you want. :D

I'm currently listening to Zaz, very nice French singer.

I'm on a total Yo La Tengo kick lately. Right now I'm listening to the

album. Speeding Motorcycle and Emulsified are on repeat.

[bBvideo 560,340:532gys1s]

[/bBvideo]

[bBvideo 560,340:532gys1s]

[/bBvideo]

On my current rotation: Marilyn Manson/Otep.

I do enjoy other types of music, too. Been in a metal state of mind lately.

No specific songs; just flipping between two of his albums: High End of Low & Mechanical Animals. Would love to see him on tour again.

Today's road tripping musical shenanigans were sponsored by Rob Zombie, Marily Manson & Weird Al. Tonight's musical shenanigans were brought to you by the musical score for The Crow & Sweeney Todd.

I've been switching between a few spotify playlists -- some single-artist (Sara Bareilles, Julia Kent, Janelle Monae), a few of my own, and a few of their "mood" playlists. Peaceful Piano and Nature Sounds are very useful for the quieter library spaces.

Today's road tripping musical shenanigans were sponsored by Rob Zombie, Marily Manson & Weird Al. Tonight's musical shenanigans were brought to you by the musical score for The Crow & Sweeney Todd.

Two mighty fine soundtracks. The Crow had such great music.

I just watched the CMT special of the last George Strait concert, and am starting to regret asking for the CD for my birthday, but at least I haven't opened it yet. Whoever did the audio for the TV special, and for the CD and DVD as well (based on the reviews), should be taken out back and smacked with a fiddle. If you have to use AutoTune for some reason, don't screw it up so bad that everyone singing sounds wrong. When I can't recognize Vince Gill's voice, something has gone badly wrong, for FSMs sake. And, if it's a George Strait concert and I can't hear the fiddles or the steel guitar, you have FAILED. It was a travesty, seriously. It wasn't constant, but people sounding robotic was a regular thing, every few minutes.

I've got the CD, but I'm seriously considering returning it. It was 75% duets anyway, and most of those were with people I don't care for. Besides, I've got every other album he's ever done (granted, some still on cassette that I need to upgrade), I can listen to those.

On the other hand, the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy is full of awesome. I've been listening a lot to it lately, plus Blue Rodeo.

I'm getting old and filling up my days with podcasts. I love Dan Savage, "savage love", Sawbones and of course I've been devouring Serial. We may need to start a thread for Serial.

*taking notes*

Does your friend know about Pierre Lapointe? I think he's one of the musical geniuses of the 20th century french-speaking world. Very poetic lyrics and catchy melodies too. I recommend his second album La Forêt des mal-aimés. It is, to this day, his great masterpiece. In my humble opinion, of course. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to "Blame it on the Rain" as an ode to the weather today which led me down the rabbit hole of Milli Vanilli's discography.

• 4 weeks later...

Zola Jesus. The latest album is okay but I can't get enough of Conatus.

Running through PJ Harvey's catalog again too.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this topic still alive? Yes? No? No? Yes? Whatever.

I really, really like musicals and I recently got hooked on the King and I. I've seen many, many versions of it, the one that I loved the most, I guess, was a theatrical version, presented by the Sydney Opera where Anna was actually played by a half Indian girl. The real Anna was born into a British-Indian family, so I don't know why they always chose fully white women. And blonde.

This isn't my fave version, but this is the most famous of all I guess:

But this is what I find to be the most beautifully sung:

I wish I knew how to embed things, but tonight's not going to be the time for me to figure it out.

I really love almost all genres, there isn't one genre which doesn't have anything in store for me. Today's pop music doesn't fascinate me tho'. (Anaconda, etc)

This is oldies, for instance:

The Cordettes - Lollipop (and, I can't embed videos for shit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DuC0tE7V4 :dance:

I think their dresses are fabulous and no, I don't want the fifties to come back.

Who doesn't know this youtube classic...

[bBvideo 560,340:136lspb7]

[/bBvideo]

:banana-dance: You have to be on a special kind of drug to compose something like this.