IGNORED

What are you listening to these days?

Freyacat

My musical tastes are all over the place but I hate rap music.

I'm a big Celtic/Gaelic girl and really enjoy the band Gaelic Storm.

I don't know much of that kind of music, but Pandora's popped up a few things I've liked. I had a Pandora station based on Amanda Palmer, and it played some Katzenjammer. I liked them and made a Katzenjammer station and that actually played some stuff I'd call Celtic sounding, although it's not a genre I know much about. Anyways, I liked it!

Lately my favorite Pandora station has been a mix of the Strokes and Florence + the Machine.

My musical tastes are all over the place but I hate rap music.

I'm a big Celtic/Gaelic girl and really enjoy the band Gaelic Storm.

Claddagh, have you heard Capercaillie? I like them a lot.

My musical tastes are all over the place too (and I also hate rap and most hip-hop and country). I'm particularly fond of Britpop, shoegaze (Catherine Wheel especially) and American neo-psychedelic stuff like BRMC and Brian Jonestown Massacre. And anything Radiohead. And Loreena McKennitt. And Massive Attack. And Arctic Monkeys. Yeah, all over the place.

I also love opera. :mrgreen:

I watched a documentary on fleetwood mac last week and ever since, I'm listening to rumours. Particularly Rhiannon. It's weird when you 'discover' a song/band that's been around for donkey's years but that you never appreciated before.

I watched a documentary on fleetwood mac last week and ever since, I'm listening to rumours. Particularly Rhiannon. It's weird when you 'discover' a song/band that's been around for donkey's years but that you never appreciated before.

Awwww, I have a huge soft sport for Rumours. It was one of the few things on regular rotation at my house growing up since my parents aren't really 'music people' (although they saw a lot of sweet concerts when they were younger; I don't know what happened). My mother used to practice twirling in her driveway to it hoping my father and his friends would cruise by :P

Some of the bands that I don't get over are Slowdive, Interpol, The Magnetic Fields, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, Joy Division, Bauhaus, New Order, and tons more. If you want a dreamy type of song to listen to, just look up bands under the shoegaze genre. If you want fun stuff, a lot of new wave is good. :) There are other bands that I listed which are in different genres, but apps like spotify (as someone else mentioned) will sort of group them together.

Bit late to this thread, but this list brings back some memories! I used to love Ride and saw them live a couple of times. Chapterhouse were another shoegazing favourite. Also seen the Cure live, best value gig ever, they played for 2.5 hours!

At the moment I am working my way through my old Smiths albums. I love a good sing along with Morrissey. Also recently got the Jake Bugg album which I'm not sure about, his lyrics make me feel old. :lol:

I was so disappointed in the Cure live! I saw them late in their game though. I was in high school, so possibly... 2003/2004?

Anything and everything, as long as it has a good beat and doesn't make me throw my headphones off in terror.

I was so disappointed in the Cure live! I saw them late in their game though. I was in high school, so possibly... 2003/2004?

I was in high school too but considerably earlier than you! I saw them a couple of times around 1992 - 1994. One time my friend and I spotted them watching the support band from a balcony above the stage. We waved and they waved back! Happy days.

I love Fleetwood Mac, and especially Stevie Nicks, but I'm always reminded of uber fan, Clinton. Here he is, now, for your viewing pleasure. :)

xC2PqmE9XNg

Well, since I am and Aussie, and we have stacks of good music here, I'll share 2 that I have only discovered in the last few months.

Temper Trap (trembling hands is a good song)

&

Matt Corby (particularly his song "Brother")

This afternoon I watched and listened to Mozart's Don Giovanni, Glyndebourne Opera House

Tonight I listened and watched Mozart's Don Giovanni, Royal Opera house.

What a treat!!!

My favourit aria:

ww1PnPztAz4

I'm an 80's tragic. Every thing New Romantic. Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran.

But I also occasionaly dig out my alter-ego and pogo into some Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, The Cramps, Ramones etc

I'll listen to anything and everything...except screamo. It's just not my thing.

These days, I've got The Civil Wars on repeat. I saw them live last year and they were absolutely incredible. Now they just need to get back together and make some new music...

Also recently got the Jake Bugg album which I'm not sure about, his lyrics make me feel old. :lol:

I just heard him on the radio; I really like the Beatles influence. I checked out about half his album so far and I'm hooked. God, he's young. And I'm old.

NvGl1JHbtMI

I like lots of different stuff including country :mrgreen: Thanks for the Gaelic Storm suggestion they seem good. I also like Peatbog Faeries and Huckleberries. Unfortunately my children are addicted to Weird Al :dance:

I always listen to the Bee Gees when I'm driving, but I've also been moonwalking -badly- to Micheal Jackson. He was one hell of an entertainer. Every time I hear Billy Jean I see him at the AMA's performing and making huge stars get on their feet and act like fans when he busted out the moonwalk. He and the BG's are two acts I wish I could have seen live.

More Jake Bugg. This sounds like somebody from the '50s... Donovan maybe? I dunno; I never liked '50s music but I like the new retro stuff:

bQMq5dO8Vb4

J. D. McPherson is another retro-er bringing back the '50s sound:

aZGn4LncY0g

:banana-linedance:

I got a load of 10000 Maniacs CDs used on amazon for pennies, so I've been listening to them a lot recently. A Campfire Song is genius.

jNlYyB-0vsA

In my car right now:

Dessa, Mumford and Sons, Florence and the Machine, Punch Brothers, Of Monsters and Men, The Black Keys

Oh, and anyone who's an 80's baby-check out the show Teenage Kicks on the Current (Minnesota Public Radio) on Saturday mornings-you can livestream it. It's a great way to start your weekend!

thecurrent.org/programs/teenage-kicks

We have a cassette deck in my car and until this weekend had one tape the Pogues "If I should Fall From the Grace of God" damn good albuhh m but not 100 times in a row. My husband had a friend of his that is moving so she dropped off a bhuk ig box of cassettes...includung some i had. XTC! Steve Winwood! Elvis!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm an 80's tragic. Every thing New Romantic. Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran.

God, me too! The funny part is that I wasn't even born until 1988, but I have this extensive catalogue of 1970s and 1980s music in my brain. I'm not even sure where it came from. I like to freak out my friends by identifying songs that are older than I am on the radio, before the singing starts. I am easily amused.

...I secretly really like that song "Africa" by Toto. Thank Christ for headphones so that nobody knows what I'm listening to on Pandora.

• Upvote 1