IGNORED

What are you listening to these days?

Freyacat

Oh and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izqSWCh5DKY Beautiful. Now I gotta stop with the NM or I'll be here I'll day listening. :)

Ahhh...love Natalie Merchant! My college boyfriend and I had a massive fight (and eventually ended up breaking up) because he was late picking me up for a Natalie/Sting concert years ago, and I only got to hear her sing one song (and she was the reason we got the tickets). I was extremely angry at him for not leaving earlier. Probably a good thing I didn't end up marrying him if unexpected traffic pissed me off so much :lol: .

I'm listening to Christmas music a bit :d&r:. Shoot me. For the most part, though, I flip between a few stations on Sirius/XM - the Broadway station, Raw Dog Comedy, Comedy Central Comedy, and Blue Collar Comedy Radio. Comedy-wise, I listen to a lot of Amy Schumer, Kathleen Madigan, Louis CK, Aziz Ansari (we saw him do comedy live last year and he was hysterical - we ended up in the 3rd row, which was amazing), Mike Birbiglia, Russell Peters, etc. I'm a big stand-up nut, and am trying to work up the nerve to go do an open mic night locally with the material I've written.

Oh, and I also just got the new cast recording of a show I saw off-Broadway 10 years ago called The Last Five Years - not as impressed with the heavy-handedness of the new cast (although I suspect that falls mostly to the director), but the music is so gorgeous and meaningful that I still enjoy listening to it.

Not sure how to embed YouTube videos:

I believe you were fully validated in that argument NotAGangsta. If I'd been in your shoes, I'd probably have called an old boyfriend for a ride :D When my kids were wee babes, they'd heard so much Ten Thousand Maniacs during car rides that they'd literally start to cry the second I inserted the cd. :lol: My daughter is now a huge fan and was trying to get us tickets the last time Nat toured, but sadly we missed it.

I'm not a huge fan of Sting but love Eva Cassidy's version of Fields Of Gold. I think if I had to choose one song it would be that one with Eva singing it.

I don't like very many female singers. I just don't like their voices, normally. I don't know why. But Eva Cassidy and Natalie Merchant are probably my two favorites! I could listen to them all day. So sad that Eva died so young.

:cry:

I really like these new bands bringing back retro sounds, whether it's Fitz and the Tantrums with their 70s sound or this one from Man Man that has an '80s sound:

kI1PWcTe0W4

I'm the same Joan. The only recent female singer who's voice I find somewhat remarkable is Adele. Eva, her fans, and the world were robbed.

I believe you were fully validated in that argument NotAGangsta. If I'd been in your shoes, I'd probably have called an old boyfriend for a ride :D When my kids were wee babes, they'd heard so much Ten Thousand Maniacs during car rides that they'd literally start to cry the second I inserted the cd. :lol: My daughter is now a huge fan and was trying to get us tickets the last time Nat toured, but sadly we missed it.

I'm not a huge fan of Sting but love Eva Cassidy's version of Fields Of Gold. I think if I had to choose one song it would be that one with Eva singing it.

(I'm so late to this party to respond - we were away for Thanksgiving) BUT, I'll have to check out Eva Cassidy. I need some new female singers to listen to since Sarah McLachlan seems to have gone way too mainstream (and I don't mean that in a hipster way - a friend had an extra ticket for the Chieftains concert years ago, Sarah was the opening act, I'd never heard of her, and I absolutely fell in love with her music on the spot. I ended up seeing her live something like 12 times and while I still listen to her new stuff when it comes out, it just doesn't grab me like her old tracks.) Also, the minute I find a new female artist that I like, I'll turn on Radio Disney for my 7 year old, and they will inevitably play them ad nauseum until I want to bash in the car radio.

I would KILL to go see Natalie, though :) - apparently, Paul Simon is touring this summer, too, and I would pretty much turn tricks to scrape up the money to see him in concert. :dance:

I've been listening to a lot of Herb Alpert lately. Yes, he's still around and still making music (just released a new album) and painting and sculpting, too. He's also giving a lot of money away including 5.5 million dollars to the Harlem School for the Arts when he learned it faced closure. He was a guest on Tavis Smiley recently and all I can say is that I hope that I have that much life in me when i'm 78.

I usually put the soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas in my car's CD player the day after Thanksgiving, but I can't find the disc. It must be in the car somewhere, but darn it I know where. I bought Rod Stewart's Christmas album to listen to for now. I like it a lot! Most of the holiday music is old secular standards, but there are a few newer songs. There is very little that is religious.

Does it say something about me that Herb and Rod have both been doing songs from the Great American Songbook?

I will mention one thing I never hope to hear again. I babysit my granddaughter two afternoons a week. Sometimes we find things on youtube to listen to. There's this one channel that has the most boring songs ever! KidsTV123's songs all sound like whoever is singing them has taken major tranquilizers. It is not good.

• 1 month later...

I love this game soundtrack. It's something you can sip tea to while imagining you're fighting evil playing cards.

erriOULeTcE

1yW4GO_s2yc

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for an op and I tend to wake up in the night with a lot of pain. I am finding Nirvana and Irish rebel songs are a good distraction :)

I'm waiting for an op and I tend to wake up in the night with a lot of pain. I am finding Nirvana and Irish rebel songs are a good distraction :)

Cuteneurorad composed the 'music' an American rapper created and doing the rap. They recently started working together (via the web) isn't it nice??

pmC6kTRJsBs

• 2 months later...

Bluegrass-y versions of Springsteen songs:

I'm on Fire by Town Mountain:

DNZHKuZ2OuU

The River by Crooked Fingers:

8hRiA6b2cPc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

George Strait today - because his last touring concert was last night, and I couldn't afford tickets (or the trip to Texas) - and Blue Rodeo. Also, the kid is hooked on the Frozen soundtrack.

(I'm so late to this party to respond - we were away for Thanksgiving) BUT, I'll have to check out Eva Cassidy. I need some new female singers to listen to since Sarah McLachlan seems to have gone way too mainstream (and I don't mean that in a hipster way - a friend had an extra ticket for the Chieftains concert years ago, Sarah was the opening act, I'd never heard of her, and I absolutely fell in love with her music on the spot.

Have you tried Loreena McKennitt?

Nice thread (should I say neat!?) ;-) I like too see the diversity we have in genres and artists.

Overall I've been listening to Arcade Fire's new album a lot since it came out. And I've had a Disney score phase too lately. Yes I know... I'm very mature. :lol:

Nice thread (should I say neat!?) ;-) I like too see the diversity we have in genres and artists.

Overall I've been listening to Arcade Fire's new album a lot since it came out. And I've had a Disney score phase too lately. Yes I know... I'm very mature. :lol:

You're in good company here. I have a Disney Stars and Disney soundtrack channels on my Pandora shuffle.

You're in good company here. I have a Disney Stars and Disney soundtrack channels on my Pandora shuffle.

Yeah! Another DisneyMusicFan! I'm a bit intense when it comes to Disney music. I even like some more obscure soundtracks like the Rescuers or Robin Hood. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

This week is Hozier, Phantogram, Banks, and old Jem interspersed with some NOLA bounce.

The new Liars album (Mess), a Christian post-rock band called Across Waters, the newly remastered version of Spiderland by Slint, and Bauhaus (particularly their song Bela Lugosi's Dead).

Here's something for FJers who celebrate the 4th:

[bBvideo 560,340:2ed1j5rl]

[/bBvideo]

:character-beavisbutthead:

The new Liars album (Mess), a Christian post-rock band called Across Waters, the newly remastered version of Spiderland by Slint, and Bauhaus (particularly their song Bela Lugosi's Dead).

Bauhaus, what a blast from the past! Today's tune Karol Conká's Boa Noite (hand clap mix).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm feeling retro this week with Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Kraftwerk, VNV Nation, and Ministry.