IGNORED

What are you listening to these days?

Freyacat

I am the biggest evangelist for this brilliant group of classically trained bluegrass musicians called the Punch Brothers (fronted by Chris Thile, the child mandolin virtuoso and formerly of Nickel Creek -- he won a MacArthur Genius grant a few years ago). Some of their stuff is harder to get into, but everyone I know across various musical tastes has liked the one I'm embedding below. Also appropriate for FreeJinger because it's framed as a letter to God :lol:

[bBvideo 560,340:2suacxjo]

[/bBvideo]

Also currently obsessed with the Supertramp song I had forgotten existed from this commercial... I still have no idea what the product does but it's brilliant. I created a Supertramp station on Pandora because of it :lol:

[bBvideo 560,340:30vnc1mj]

[/bBvideo]

You've inspired me to pull out The Con album tonight.

I am always amazed that I still remember all the words if I hear their songs playing out somewhere, even though I haven't listened to them in about 5 years -- can't listen to Tegan and Sara without revisiting the entire horrible very bad no good first year of college :cry: the first broken heart is THE WORST. Ruined so much music for me, too :x

ETA: I promise to never triple post again.

• Upvote 1

I'm on a huge Amy Winehouse kick again, she's been my favorite singer for years now, since high school, but it's been a while...

I am always amazed that I still remember all the words if I hear their songs playing out somewhere, even though I haven't listened to them in about 5 years -- can't listen to Tegan and Sara without revisiting the entire horrible very bad no good first year of college :cry: the first broken heart is THE WORST. Ruined so much music for me, too :x

ETA: I promise to never triple post again.

It's uncanny how memories are cemented by the senses. There are artists & albums I avoid, too. The music of my high school years does it for me. "More Than Words" revives the sting of an unrequited crush. :embarrassed:

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor Swift's entire Red album. Reminds me of being 18-19 years old, being madly in love with my best friend, and that brief moment in time when he had feelings for me too, and the even shorter period of time when we were almost together. And also the much longer, much more painful stretch of time where everything fell apart, my heart was shattered, I moved out of state, almost got myself killed, hated and forgave him, and two years later, mostly got over him. Miraculously, our friendship survived, and I think about that too. A lot of bad memories with this album, but mostly good.

/endrant. That was long and embarrassing.

I just got tickets to see Walk The Moon in October so they've basically taken over my music selection these days.

• 2 weeks later...

This week, dark wave and showtunes play while doing homework. I love me some ol' school Patti LuPone and Bernadette Peters.

Currently listening to Lady Gaga's entire discography... Whatever happened to her, anyway?

She's going to be in the upcoming season of American Horror Story.

• Upvote 1

She's going to be in the upcoming season of American Horror Story.

True, but she's fallen off of my music radar lately.

In case anyone was wondering, Lana Del Rey's new album, Honeymoon, is fabulous. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm completely fanatical for Maroon 5 but their last couple of albums have been underwhelming (sorry, Adam and boys). My latest obsessions include Meghan Trainor and Mary Lambert, but I'm also diggin' on Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift. :)

Oh, also, Walk Off the Earth's newish album is freaking amazing. I love them, have seen them live a couple of times actually, but this album -- every single song is amazing. The last time my son and I saw them in concert, Sara the female singer was 8 months pregnant and wearing a bodysuit. Own it, girl.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to listen to a lot of metal, then switched to country. While I'm still loving country, I've gone back to my metal. I've missed it. :( Currently playing Slayer :P 

My gym plays a lot of pop music and for some reason that Albatroaz song has been playing a lot - so naturally I had to go and download it. That and some Demi Lovato and the new Macklemore, Downtown.

• Upvote 1

Bit late to the party, but I love Little Lion Man by Mumford and Sons. I've also been listening to Postmodern Jukebox a lot lately.

The Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Cinderella is making the rounds on stage, so my husband bought  the 50th anniversary DVD after we went to the performance.  He is wise enough to vacate the premises as I watch/listen/dance/sniffle to the songs.  An oldy, but a goodie (my husband and the musical).

:tw_blush::tw_cry::tw_heart:

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really obsessed with Take Your Time by Sam Hunt, I can't explain it, but it's like almost sexy in a non-explicit way. So I'm listening to it on repeat until I hate it! :D 

I've been playing Hollow by Tori Kelly on repeat. So good!

I've been listening to the Hamilton cd non-stop for over a month. Lin Manuel Miranda is a genius.

• Upvote 4

Whatever keeps me writing.  (which can be hit and miss at times).  Although some of that was shared in my blog post yesterday.