IGNORED

What are you listening to these days?

Freyacat

Anyone listening to some great music? I am looking for something new. I am a fairly omnivorous music fan. I will listen to pretty much any genre except twangy conservative country stars. But I am happy with most anything else. What's your favorite genre/artist?

Mostly listen to old stuff, cause when in the car, listen to NPR, talk or sports radio. But I did find a cool clip of Pinball Wizard the other night.

Here's one I heard recently from a band in Nashville that'll get you dancing. Poor UNFUNdies, they'll never know the joy of just lettin loose to a song like this one!

JBv86oeFqL0

Nothing crazy new or unheard of, but Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, The Decemberists and Alabama Shakes are my current favs on rotation.

Right now I am obsessed with this 90s album of Schoolhouse Rock covers called Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks. It sounds dumb, but it's pretty cool. Lots of early 90s acts represented: Daniel Johnston, Pavement, Skee-lo, Buffalo Tom, Man or Astro-Man? etc.

Anyway, I've been on a compilation/cover albums kick lately, which is whatever, but I've found some cool ones. Yat Kha's Recovers - covers of Hank Williams and Led Zep and Joy Division etc. done in Tuvan throat singing style. DrugSongs: High and Low 1917-1944, p much exactly what it sounds like (really old school songs about drugs and booze). Baby, How Can It Be: Songs of Love, Lust & Contempt from the 1920s and 1930s. Also exactly what it sounds like :P

Also if you like punk, there's a great compilation series called like 'DIY: We're Desperate: The LA Scene' 'DIY: Mass Ave. The Boston Scene' etc for different cities. It's an 'overview' obviously but has helped me discover some bands/songs I never would have heard of otherwise. And gives great insight into region-specific sounds or w/e

For the last couple of months I've been obsessed with The Creature Comforts' The Politics of Pop. This thing is close to flawless, imo. If you like fuzzy guitars and hooks galore it would be worth seeking out. It came out in '99 and the band broke up around '02. I can't stop listening to it; it's indie-pop crack, I tell ya.

So, what's Spotify? I've heard some people say it's great but I don't know what it does :(

Should I be on it/using it? Somebody 'splain it to me like I'm five.

Thanks.

i think spotify is some sort of web site/FB app like I Heart Radio, and it shows your FB friends what you are listening to, but am not sure. I shy away from FB apps in general.

Right now I am obsessed with this 90s album of Schoolhouse Rock covers called Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks. It sounds dumb, but it's pretty cool. Lots of early 90s acts represented: Daniel Johnston, Pavement, Skee-lo, Buffalo Tom, Man or Astro-Man? etc.

GET OUT. I have SHR on VHS *and* DVD, and *must* have the album of covers!

"When Reginald was home with the flu, uh-huh-huh,

The doctor knew just what to do-hoo.

He cured the infection

With one small injection

While Reginald uttered some interjections..

Hey! That smarts!

Ouch! That hurts!

Yow! That's not fair givin' a guy a shot down there!

Interjections (Hey!) show excitement (Yow!) or emotion (Ouch!).

They're generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point,

Or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong. "

ETA, someday I'll figure out how to embed.

I looove Bollywood music(and movies) . It's been my obsession for the last year. I don't really know where to start, so I guess I'll post the first few songs I fell in love with.

p2hUjr3.gif

Chaiyya Chaiyya - Youtube it. Youtube it and you won't be sorry.

Pardesi Pardesi - A beautiful song from a messed up melodrama. Main line translates to "foreigner, foreigner, don't go and leave me". It's one too youtube too, great dancing, high drama, man tears.

Aaj Ki Raat - This song was used in Slumdog Millionaire before Latika's escape. It's from "Don" and is pretty freaking boss. Strong techno beat with disco synths and grade A melody.

Salaam-E-Ishq - A long song from Bollywood's Love Actually remake. It's telling you "Salute to Love" and it has BAGPIPES. It's just lovely. And fun.

Salaam - A very beautiful simple song from 2006's Umrao Jaan.

Usually IRA songs. The Eyes of the IRA They Are Upon You, My Little Armalite, etc etc...also the funeral videos. This is because I need to learn more rather than for musical beauty (I am quite fond of "My Little Armalite" though, and sing it when drunk.)

The best one is undisputably "Up the 'RA" though. Look for that on YouTube (before I get banned off this site by Homeland Security in the US.) The one called "The SAM Song" on teh tube.

It's brilliant because of the sheer malice in the guy's voice and the musical skills. But it's the malice that makes it.

(Aw fuck it, it's here. Ignore the flag error. You won't regret it.

Seriously, ignore the comments as well. It's YouTube, none of them are going to be sane.)

In more relaxing moments Radiohead. I'm a child of the 90s and so I listen to a lot of 90s dance too.

My three favourite bands will be the Pixies, Dead Kennedys and Rage Against the Machine. Like I said, I'm a bit retro :oops: But I like loads of music and if it catches my ear, I will get a download.

i think spotify is some sort of web site/FB app like I Heart Radio, and it shows your FB friends what you are listening to, but am not sure. I shy away from FB apps in general.

GET OUT. I have SHR on VHS *and* DVD, and *must* have the album of covers!

:D

ppYMKMuDp58

For the last couple of months I've been obsessed with The Creature Comforts' The Politics of Pop. This thing is close to flawless, imo. If you like fuzzy guitars and hooks galore it would be worth seeking out. It came out in '99 and the band broke up around '02. I can't stop listening to it; it's indie-pop crack, I tell ya.

I found it and I really like it! Lots of good suggestions in this thread but this one particularly grabbed me. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :)

I haven't done Spotify because I read you have to use facebook to sign up and that annoys me. But I've used Songza and that's neat - they have some really random lists of suggestions.

I found it and I really like it! Lots of good suggestions in this thread but this one particularly grabbed me. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :)

I haven't done Spotify because I read you have to use facebook to sign up and that annoys me. But I've used Songza and that's neat - they have some really random lists of suggestions.

Holy crap! Where did you find it? I'm so glad you like it!!!!

If you like this then you might like Ultimate Fakebook's Electric Kissing Parties, This Will Be Laughing Week, and Open Up and Say Awesome. The two bands were from the same area and the same time. Great, great stuff.

Holy crap! Where did you find it? I'm so glad you like it!!!!

If you like this then you might like Ultimate Fakebook's Electric Kissing Parties, This Will Be Laughing Week, and Open Up and Say Awesome. The two bands were from the same area and the same time. Great, great stuff.

I had to do some googling. I found a page about them at what looks to be a webpage dedicated to arts in Lawrence, KS - I thought it might be the site for an indie paper but couldn't quite tell. Anyways, they have a page with a blurb about them and there's a little link that opens up an mp3 player that plays stuff from both of their albums. www.lawrence.com/bands/the_creature_comforts/

Neither itunes nor amazon has mp3s though! I did find a sketchy looking site claiming to offer downloads of the album but was afraid I'd get spyware with it, so I didn't. I'll check out the others if I can find them!

Have you listened to The Connells? I've been into them lately. They're from my area. They're a softer kind of sound, but I really like it.

I had to do some googling. I found a page about them at what looks to be a webpage dedicated to arts in Lawrence, KS - I thought it might be the site for an indie paper but couldn't quite tell. Anyways, they have a page with a blurb about them and there's a little link that opens up an mp3 player that plays stuff from both of their albums. http://www.lawrence.com/bands/the_creature_comforts/

Neither itunes nor amazon has mp3s though! I did find a sketchy looking site claiming to offer downloads of the album but was afraid I'd get spyware with it, so I didn't. I'll check out the others if I can find them!

Have you listened to The Connells? I've been into them lately. They're from my area. They're a softer kind of sound, but I really like it.

"Get a gun, get a gun, we're losin' altitude..." I haven't listened to that album in years. Thank you for the reminder!

Wow, you really had to hunt around for TCC. It's frustrating that they have no real internet presence. There's an old Myspace page that has a few of their songs and there's a couple of YouTube videos, but that's it. It's so frustrating. I commend your diligence! :clap:

Another band you might like is Damone. They were out of San Diego and broke up a few years ago. Out Here All Night is superb. They have a big sound rock sound, but have hook after hook and the whole record is infectious. I highly recommend.

So, what's Spotify? I've heard some people say it's great but I don't know what it does :(

Should I be on it/using it? Somebody 'splain it to me like I'm five.

Thanks.

Spotify is kind of like an online music library. There is both a free service and enhanced subscription one. You can find almost any band/album you can think of and listen to it. The free option has ads and may limit how many times you can listen to a track. With the paid subscription you can download music (only to be played through the program/app) to listen to offline. I download a bunch each week to listen to on my iPod when I'm out and about. I'm a big fan as you may have guessed...

Original topic; I currently love MountainMan and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes.

Some of the bands that I don't get over are Slowdive, Interpol, The Magnetic Fields, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, Joy Division, Bauhaus, New Order, and tons more. If you want a dreamy type of song to listen to, just look up bands under the shoegaze genre. If you want fun stuff, a lot of new wave is good. :) There are other bands that I listed which are in different genres, but apps like spotify (as someone else mentioned) will sort of group them together.

Well, we found out that the cassette player in the car works and the only cassette we have is The Pogues If I Should Fall From the Grace Of God....

I wonder if Armalite Rifle by Gang of Four is the answer song to My Little Armalite by the IRA/

Let's see... aside from MmmBop (thanks OKTBT, LOL) and the theme song from 21 Jump Street (been watching it on Netflix)...

I always love The Shins, Neutral Milk Hotel, Arcade Fire, The Pixies, Vampire Weekend, Rasputina, Rancid, Mumford & Sons, Weezer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Ani DiFranco, to name a few. I also love anything involving Jack White.