IGNORED

Meredith visits the family for Xmas; Elliot goes to Africa

Hisey

For those who are interested in Meredith (Alexander) Hammer, there are a lot of pictures at the family website:

http://www.alexanderadventuresfamilyblog.blogspot.com/

Highlights:

Elliot goes on a mission trip to Africa

Sheridan gets a pink BB gun for Xmas

Stephan gives Meredith and his baby daughter matching flannel nightgowns (why?)

Pictures of Meredith and Stephen's toddler daughter, Margaret Alice

Guest Anonymous

Oh dear. Poor Elliot's post almost reads as a parody:

The Oasis Center is a school that teaches English to individuals looking to come to America or other English speaking countries or someone hoping to work for a company there in Chad that is only hiring those that can speak English. The school is run by Christians, and they try to provide a neutral environment where parents can feel safe that their children aren't being indoctrinated. In the Koran, the reader is encouraged to read the Torah ( first five books of the Bible) and the Ingil ( the four Gospels). Also, among Islams 99 prophets is just about every figure of significance in the Old Testament. This leaves ample space to share the truth of God's Word without crossing the line of "heresy" ( in the Muslim's eyes). The second highest level of English is made up of Old Testament Bible stories that help bring to light the promise of a messiah, and our need for one. The highest level of English is New Testament stories that leave the student fully aware of the Gospel. You would think that with this much biblical teaching we would see hundreds of converts but the reality is that Islam is a very blinding religion and the culture holds family in such high esteem that it is a very radical idea to change religions.

Bless his heart.

Guest Anonymous

Also, does this mean what I think it means:

Multi-purposing the Food Bank apples and oranges for the pigs

to first serve as ornaments on the tall cedar tree outside

Food Bank donations taken to use as Christmas decorations and as food for commercial livestock?! :shock:

Did anyone else notice "Harrison and his patient partner who sweetly followed his lead although she really did know how to waltz." Another example of girls having to hide what they know in order to prop up the male-leading stereotype and prop up a man's self-esteem.

The flannel nightgowns - oy..

The "mission" trip with "multipurposed" Food Bank donations - oy oy.

Mr. Princeton Rhodes Scholar looks for & finds Miss SAHD on the internet and marries her - oy oy oy.

Guest Anonymous
Did anyone else notice "Harrison and his patient partner who sweetly followed his lead although she really did know how to waltz." Another example of girls having to hide what they know in order to prop up the male-leading stereotype and prop up a man's self-esteem.

Oh yes, ominous words indeed.

Also would make a great line on one of those snarky faux-sentimental greetings cards. :lol:

So, I know I always read too much into body language, but in the three pictures where Meredith and Stephen are shown together, there doesn't seem to be a whole lotta love. In one, M is cuddling with Sheridan while S sits at the faaaaar end of the couch. In another her arms are crossed. And in the third, she plays with Sheridan and her daughter while he sits up on the couch. Make of that what you will, but I find it interesting (between the body language and that nightgown gift I'm not terribly surprised baby #2 hasn't been announced yet...).

Also, does this mean what I think it means:

Food Bank donations taken to use as Christmas decorations and as food for commercial livestock?! :shock:

Yes......I saw this on their blog a few days ago, and it had me wondering what they were doing. If the fruit was rotten and it was being donated from the foodbank specifically for them to use for their pigs, then are they actually hanging rotten fruit on their trees as decorations? YUK. And if the fruit was good, and they were taking it, and hanging it on their trees, and then giving it to their pigs, WHY was the foodbank handing out perfectly good fruit to pigs instead of people? But then God provides, so who am I to question his providential ways? Ask, and rotten apples shall be provided unto you. Yea, unto your pigs and the very trees of your fields.

This part bothered me even more: "Sheridan blessed Nannie by reciting the Virtuous Woman passage from Proverbs 31: 10-31." The little girl is already indoctrinated on how to be a Proverbs 31 woman like her sister...

Oh dear. Poor Elliot's post almost reads as a parody:

Bless his heart.

A blinding religion which holds family in such high esteem that it is a very radical idea to change religions.

Hhmm... what did Jesus say about planks and splinters in eyes?

The nightgowns look like those Lanz of Salzburg nightgowns. If I remember correctly they come in both girls and women's sizes so mother and daughter can match. Still, while I can see giving one to your toddler daughter, giving a matching one to your wife strikes me as weird.

Yup. Somewhere on the spectrum between 'weird' and 'adorable'. Might be adorable from a father/husband who is fully gender egalitarian. The patriarchy just ups the creep-factor.

On the one hand, the picture on the header (Meredith holding the baby and looking up and Stephen) makes them seem VERY happy.

On the other, I really wouldn't put it past a brilliant Ivy-League educated guy who went out of his way to find a submissive wife on the Internet to also have some abusive tendencies.

ETA riffles.

Yup. Somewhere on the spectrum between 'weird' and 'adorable'. Might be adorable from a father/husband who is fully gender egalitarian. The patriarchy just ups the creep-factor.[/quote]

To the bold. That is exactly it. It says to me that the husband views both his wife and child as on the same level of children and under him rather than an equal adult and a child.

It's not only Stephen who probably views Meredith as a child. Joy's caption about the nightgowns says it all:

Stephen bought these sweet matching gowns for his two special girls.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive but Meredith is a 25 year old woman who has a husband and child. I know the term "girl" is used casually by a lot of people but it irks me how the fundies use it to describe their adult daughters. It's even sadder the daughters don't seem to mind being kept in perpetual childhood.

Aw, I bet Sheridan got outvoted by all her older brothers when they went to Bass Pro Shop instead of Toys'R'Us. :lol:

Yeah, I don't know why you would get a mom--daughter matching outfit, especially when the daughter is a baby. It would be cheesy but make more sense to get a whole-family matching outfit.

It looks like Sheridan memorized the Bible verses for her baptism.

The northern part of N'Djamena is Muslim, a very moral people

At least he referred to the Muslims as being moral. Honestly, that is more than I expect from any fundie. I'd be surprised if my fellow average Oklahoman would admit so much.

Hey! That's not just any flannel nightgown, that's a Lanz of Salzburg. I had one exactly like it, cried when it eventually (after about 8 years) wore thin. Even had a nursing-style one, lasted even longer.

....Guess my The Spousal Unit would've been happy about the thin part. Ah well, too late. ;)

At least he referred to the Muslims as being moral. Honestly, that is more than I expect from any fundie. I'd be surprised if my fellow average Oklahoman would admit so much.

True. And I wholeheartedly concede to that. If I critique him concerning his proselytizing attitude (which I did earlier in the thread), then I have to give him credit for *at least* ascribing morality to non-Christians.

One hopes :)

I have never heard of Lanz of Salzburg. From the pics they look like any other flannel nightgown, is there something special I am missing?

Archived