IGNORED

Love Affair with Dr. Price and alternative meds

dairyfreelife

Dead of botulism, likely. :mrgreen:

^ This.

High meat.

Not "high percentage of meat content," no, it's a term for... fermented meat. You take some meat, cut it up, put in a jar, and leave it out in the sun (or maybe make it slower in the fridge), airing it out every few days. Better yet, chicken. Until it's mostly liquid.

:shock: I seriously gagged while reading this. These people are batshit crazy - it sounds awful. Add it to the anti-vax, anti-government obsession and I think I'll avoid absolutely anything related to the WAPF, including bloggers who espouse those theories or start talking about Nourishing Traditions.

I think the reason so many fundie women do the Weston Price/Nourishing Traditions, raw milk, no vaccines thing is that it is one of the few ways they can be rebellious. It's rebelling against the standard medical/nutrition establishments, but it's ok because preparing food and caring for the family is the woman's realm.

I'm cool with WAPF in terms of eating fresh, unprocessed whole foods. I think most of us would be a lot healthier if we ate more fresh food. I think we would have healthier teeth too.

But just about everything else is a bunch of woo. The rotten meat reminds me of Paleo crazies who eat road kill.

One of the other things that gets me is that my dinner last night would have been considered "bad" in their eyes. I made soup. I used home canned beans and tomatoes. According to them the canned food of any sort is bad, especially as the beans had been pressure canned. Nothing in the soup was overly processed- otherwise it was olive oil, yellow onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Yet, because of the canned tomato and beans it wouldn't be "real food" to most of them.

It wouldn't be real food anyway because you didn't include 4 sticks of butter in the recipe.

I do like some of the recipes from NT and when I was doing more cooking before I moved back home I liked to soak my grains. A lot of the other stuff is crap though.

My concern is that it usually goes along with a general disgust of government, doctors and expert opinion. I see a scary trend of people not trusting research and science - experts in general. They do their own research which usually involves articles from the Internet then declare themselves experts.

I agree with you on this; and because they have found the information, they tend to not want to be proven incorrect or ill-advised.

gardenvarietycitizen wrote:High meat.

Not "high percentage of meat content," no, it's a term for... fermented meat. You take some meat, cut it up, put in a jar, and leave it out in the sun (or maybe make it slower in the fridge), airing it out every few days. Better yet, chicken. Until it's mostly liquid.

Ewww. Just, ewww. Thank goodness it's been a while since I ate lunch.

I have no problem with high fat in the diet, though, and neither do any of the doctors in my family. Unless you're eating too many calories, fat is not harmful.

These people not only eat lots of fat, they eat lots of saturated fats and cholesterol. Maybe this won't hurt everybody, but if you have a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol and heart disease, it's a death knell.

I have actually never posted here before but I've lurker for two years.

And here I am coming out of hiding to say this:

I was introduced to WAPF and the anti-vaccine by non-Christians. My WAPF friend (who is also anti-Vax) is a pro-choice, same sex marriage-supporting Obama voter who teaches yoga (which is also EBIL in fundieland). She's also a home birthing, non-or delayed vaxing, Waldorf-school hippie. She is also one of the kindest, most compassionate and intelligent women I know.

There are a lot of WAPF following fundies (Rebecca Loomis comes to mind) but the two are hardly connected.

I am an ex-fundie and didn't come to much of any of that stuff until I had extricated myself from that world. The church I went to was so decidedly against all of this stuff. To them it was just another form of rebellion. All real Christians do as their told from cradle to grave.

Just my two cents.

I was introduced to WAPF and the anti-vaccine by non-Christians. My WAPF friend (who is also anti-Vax) is a pro-choice, same sex marriage-supporting Obama voter who teaches yoga (which is also EBIL in fundieland). She's also a home birthing, non-or delayed vaxing, Waldorf-school hippie. She is also one of the kindest, most compassionate and intelligent women I know.

There are a lot of WAPF following fundies (Rebecca Loomis comes to mind) but the two are hardly connected.

I am an ex-fundie and didn't come to much of any of that stuff until I had extricated myself from that world. The church I went to was so decidedly against all of this stuff. To them it was just another form of rebellion. All real Christians do as their told from cradle to grave.

Just my two cents.

I agree; I would never consider this a "fundy" thing. It questions the wisdom of bureaucrats, something they are loathe to do. I got sucked into it from the concept of ethical food, and the ethics of their food is not something that they give a lt of thought to, seeing as they have dominion over the earth and don't owe anyone anything. I also got off the WAPF merry-ground at the local, slow food movement, so while they are ultra crunchy, they at least gave me some good resources. I just don't consider this a fundy thing unless they're trying to rebel.

Just my two cents.

What I call it is "food fundyism." And as I've mentioned before, the group in my county has lots of hippies, to tea partiers to Christian fundies in it. I run into it in the local food movement, and in some other groups I move in.

Sometimes I think that there are people who feel that they MUST follow rules and find some rules to follow no matter how extreme they might be. Some choose religion, some choose food, some choose parenting, some choose all three.

There's a place where Christian fundamentalism and diet fundamentalism (very much including WAPF) intersect, but yeah, they're not guaranteed to come in a pair. It's just one place on the giant intersecting Venn diagram where you'll find the "crunchy cons" (and right near them, absolutely there are a lot of liberal/leftist types who lean toward hippiedom, absolutely). Diet fundamentalism is its own thing.

Same for interest in homesteading (which also tends to lean toward various kinds of diet fundamentalism). There's definitely a lot of Christian fundies into it (think wannabe Amish, pretty much) but it's certainly not only them.

There is certainly a large audience for the idea that if only you eat the right things all the time (or if you only can live "purely" like [insert idealized indigenous group here]) then surely you will always be in good health and you can cure all kinds of diseases, without a shred of scientific evidence behind it. It's one thing to be well-nourished, but another to say you'll never need antibiotics or vaccines or you can cure cancer or various kinds of claims that get made about various diets or "cleanses" on a regular basis. I have to wonder if some of this "I really want to believe" is coming from a place where people know they don't have health insurance and so are hoping they don't really need it.

While it's not a diet thing per se I wonder the same about the Maxwells' obsession with exercise.

Sometimes I think that there are people who feel that they MUST follow rules and find some rules to follow no matter how extreme they might be. Some choose religion, some choose food, some choose parenting, some choose all three.

This pretty much says it. Personally I think it's just another version of magical thinking (when people are all the way in).

Archived