IGNORED

THIS is why fundies scare me

Koala

Yeesh, and I thought I was being cheap by stretching 2 chicken breasts into 4 meals... for 2 people (and subsequently making soup from the chicken bones). The thought of making a chicken puree sauce is enough to turn my stomach. It breaks my heart to think of kids going hungry and getting a lecture on real starvation in the third world instead of getting to feel the pleasure of satiety after a meal.

These past few days I've invested a ton of work into stockpiling some homemade food, as I've just completed one deadline and have a slight lull till things pick up for me again. I made a kilo of granola and just finished making 5 dozen perogies for the freezer, plus we cooked a beef rib roast yesterday that we'll be eating for the next week. It's so pleasurable to be able to provide good food for one's family, even on a budget, and it bums me out more than usual, after my perogy marathon, that this crazy woman is all proud of her blender chicken sauce with wilted vegetables over rice, and the fact that her family doesn't have fruits or vegetables on a daily basis.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what pisses me off? Yes, she's a selfish bitch for continuing to add to the quiver while the existing arrows whither, but the homeschooling... If you cant FEED your children you cant properly educate them. Their brains need the fuel to grow and develop, their bodies dont stand a chance without proper nutrition. If she sent them to an ebil guvment skool they'd atleast get breakfast and lunch with milk, veggies, and fruit. She would only have to worry about dinner. She could "correct" whatever ebils they were taught during the day over dinner, ensuring that their bodies and minds have what they need.

The whole thing is just so fucktastically selfish. They're starving because SHE wants them here and refuses to do what is necessary to ensure they thrive because of what SHE wants.

Also, half and half? Thats not cheap... why not just keep milk around?

This. The recipe sounded pretty good to be honest (I'm a fan of chicken casserole varieties) but for 11??????

Also my rich self just sort of "assumed" that surely they'd have a vegetable on the side with the casserole, I guess not. But you can get giant bags of flash-frozen veggies (even brussel sprouts and other yummy stuff) for like $2 when they're on sale.

and here in Alabama the are $1-$1.50 on sale.

If store-bought chicken is deemed to not be nutritious, then why the fuck doesn't she raise chickens herself like VooDooChild said? It does take a little money to get set-up with raising chickens in your backyard, but you can get eggs and meat for a little outlay of cash. Yeah, you do have to slaughter them and pluck and clean them, but put on your big girl panties and just do it. My grandmother did this all the time as did many other women in the old days.

wtylcf, that chicken puree does sound disgusting doesn't it? Makes me glad I'm a vegetarian.

I'm skipping ahead, so pardons if this was already mentioned.

I don't know about AL, but in Oregon if you have an empty refrigerator like hers and CPS finds out, they WILL take your children away. It maybe for a night, and they can go to a relative, but they will do it. That does not sound like a bad idea in this case. How can one feed 11 people on two chicken breasts?!?

I'm saddened and sickened.

If store-bought chicken is deemed to not be nutritious, then why the fuck doesn't she raise chickens herself like VooDooChild said? It does take a little money to get set-up with raising chickens in your backyard, but you can get eggs and meat for a little outlay of cash. Yeah, you do have to slaughter them and pluck and clean them, but put on your big girl panties and just do it. My grandmother did this all the time as did many other women in the old days.

wtylcf, that chicken puree does sound disgusting doesn't it? Makes me glad I'm a vegetarian.

As I think about it, I'm actually less disgusted by the thought of slaughtering my own chickens than making a chicken puree sauce. Respect to your grandma!

It really botthers me that ANY parent would allow their child/ren to go hungry. If someone can not afford to feed their children, they should not have ANYMORE!!

It really botthers me that ANY parent would allow their child/ren to go hungry. If someone can not afford to feed their children, they should not have ANYMORE!!

But.... JESUS!

That woman is not a parent. She is anything but. She is like a child playing a parent... Why doesn't she take her parental responsibility?!

and here in Alabama the are $1-$1.50 on sale.

We can sometimes get the big ones for 69 cents here once in a blue moon!

It just sickens me that there are people who will feed their children next to nothing and call it a meal. . .and then brag about it online and get other people to agree with them.

A lot of the fundies we know are now obsessed with weight and weight gain. They pass this on to their children. I know of several fundie families that count their children's calories. I know of several others who have a "one helping at dinner and no snacks between meals". These kids often complain about being hungry, especially at night after supper. No bedtime snacks allowed. The families I know that are like this are the Vision Forum/Dominion types...the ones who have to take dominion over the flesh. No giving in to our carnal selves. They are especially strict with the females since they have to look as good as they can to try to catch a man, which is their only ticket out of the house. I have noticed it getting worse in the last few years and Vision Forum's "Feeding Your Family for the Glory of God" just made it worse, I think. I have noticed an old fundie friend's daughter we know is looking positively anorexic. The portions some of these people think will feed these children is pathetic. And I agree with VooDooChild...why doesn't this woman grow some veggies? We lived down south and you can grow some things year round...cold weather veggies and stuff. And chickens...heck, she could feed her kids at least a big pan of scrambled eggs and some toast. What a mean woman.

I'm skipping ahead, so pardons if this was already mentioned.

I don't know about AL, but in Oregon if you have an empty refrigerator like hers and CPS finds out, they WILL take your children away. It maybe for a night, and they can go to a relative, but they will do it. That does not sound like a bad idea in this case. How can one feed 11 people on two chicken breasts?!?

I'm saddened and sickened.

Finally, that's one of the thousand different forms of child neglect/abuse in that home that the CPS would possibly take seriously? That's about time, damn it.

Has she ever addressed why she hasn't started a garden and bought some chickens? These are really cheap ways to stretch your food budget. And if my hortifically middle class neighborhood is any indication, raising your own chickens is a organic merit badge. Here in Texas, live chickens and wire are really cheap.

Finally, that's one of the thousand different forms of child neglect/abuse in that home that the CPS would possibly take seriously? That's about time, damn it.

You know, I'd call them. If I had any idea where to call I'd call first thing Monday.

So, if this is a case for CPS, who is going to call? I don't know your laws... Only my own country's (and well, we have zero tolerance for any kind of abuse/neglect).

While I can point out five different conditions that our law - The Care of Young Persons Act, addresses as problematic, it has nothing to do with your laws. If Kelly lived here, there's no way a single child would remain in her custody. I don't think we are extreme, but it's possible your CPS would think so if I listed all my concerns.

So, if this is a case for CPS, who is going to call? I don't know your laws... Only my own country's (and well, we have zero tolerance for any kind of abuse/neglect).

While I can point out five different conditions that our law (protective care of children-law) addresses as problematic, it has nothing to do with your laws. If Kelly lived here, there's no way a single child would remain in her custody. I don't think we are extreme, but it's possible your CPS would think so if I listed all my concerns.

I will, with my husband's blessing. We've both been mandatory reporters for so long that we've both had to do it before. I'm pretty sure all I need is:

Her name, and her husband's name if you can

Her county and state, or town and state if no one has her address

Links to the posts in question

A list of concerns

PM me if you don't want to put it out there. Or send it to my e-mail.

Annie, I will pm you later today (Sunday). It's late here (Saturday night or actually Sunday morning), so I'll go to bed now. Thank you for doing this. Talk to you later.

GC Kelly and her leg humpers are beyond disturbed. I raised my kid's on a secretary's salary. Things were tight but there was always food in the house. We ate a lot of beans, lentils and ground turkey but they never went to bed hungry. Ever.

The food hording 15 year old breaks my heart...

Annie, I will pm you later today (Sunday). It's late here (Saturday night or actually Sunday morning), so I'll go to bed now. Thank you for doing this. Talk to you later.

Okay. I'm all the way over in the Pacific time zone and on a really wonky schedule so I probably won't see anything until late morning here but I will check as soon as I get to my computer.

G'night.

I feel like sending her a few bags of dried lentils.

She could used some left over bones from the cow or deer they have. Added a heap of potatoes, broccoli, lentils, tinned tomatoes, peas, carrots, pasta, anything else she had sitting around & left it for a couple of hours. It would actually provide some kind of sustenance for her children & allow them to have a decent sized meal.

Okay, so I did the math based on this from the blog:

Approximate spending: $180 for two weeks

So, assuming that this does not include the purchase of household items such as toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, laundry detergent, shampoo, toothpaste, soap, ect. her budget would break down as follows:

$$ Per meal: $4.29

$$ Per person per meal: .39 cents

This includes 3 meals a day and no snacks at all.

The night they had four additional guests the breakdown per person would have been .29 cents

That is absolutely staggering to me.

I did find out that raising chickens on a small scale is more expensive than buying them in the store. Eggs can be slightly cheaper, but meat birds are more the cost of the high end organic meat. And she doesn't even cook enough food to have leftovers to feed them!

But before I raised chickens myself, I could get it for next to nothing in the stores- and even canned chicken would be better than that puree. And they ate it because they were HUNGRY- if you don't feed them enough they'll inhale anything.

Ducks are probably a bit cheaper to raise if you let them out to eat all your snails & they lay bigger eggs. But those feet can end up doing more damage than than their 'prey' would have.

Archived