IGNORED

THIS is why fundies scare me

Koala

Someone has now addressed the chicken casserole debacle:

Of course Kelly replied with her typical nonsense:

Notice she only addressed to protein issue. She didn't make a peep about the fact that it's simply NOT enough food.

Wait. Her defense for "your kids don't get enough nutrients" is to say "this food has even less nutrients than one would originally be led to believe"? Really?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ironic, considering one of her earlier posts is entitled "A Letter to My Children About the 'Good Life.'" Have lots and lots of kids, then write articles abut their birdlike appetites, and rationing food.

Kelly is one of the craziest of the crazies. She also turned down any ebil gummint FEMA assistance after the heart-shaped tornado destroyed their home.

I feel sorry for those children.

My home was hit by a tornado last year and we couldn't get individual help from FEMA- we had insurance and did not qualify. In her story on Dave Ramsey's site, she says they had insurance on the mobile home. I am betting they didn't have to turn anything down from FEMA. From my own experience with an Alabama tornado, FEMA is not handing things out as easily and generously as people like to think. You really have to be in need and/or without insurance to get much help, which is mostly a good thing. At least funds are not being wasted. We could have used some extra assistance with food and immediate needs while waiting on the insurance company to come through but were helped by churches, volunteers, Red Cross, family, etc... (I am NOT anti-FEMA, just skeptical they even had the chance to turn them down for individual help.)

She wants to appear as poor as possible to invoke as much sympathy as possible but at the same time to appear purely self-sufficient. How do her leg-humpers not see it? I picked up on it after reading only the post the OP referenced about the scarily meager meal she fed to 11 people. That wouldn't satisfy my underweight 13 year old alone. (he's blessed and cursed with the metabolism of a gnat!)

Leaving aside all the other things with that recipe that are wrong, CHICKEN DOES NOT GO IN A BLENDER.

As for the mom with the nine daughters, yes your girls can still be hungry. It sounds like they're teens, and they need more food.

Plus, if you have to lock the pantry, that is a bigger problem. Does my six-year old snack like she is trying to eat everything in my house? On occasion, yes. However, despite the fact that I don't beat her, she doesn't steal food. Because I make sure that she gets enough to eat, and when she is hungry, she asks for food. Generally the answer is yes, unless there is some valid reason.

I seriously, seriously hate Kelly.

Don't diss baked oatmeal until you've tried it! The recipe I tried was more of a dessert, but it's surprisingly good.

Makes me kind of fear that "hodgepodge"= a little of this and a little of that. Not a very cohesive meal, considering what they probably have for dinner.

I feed my kids that all the time for lunch or snack or as a stopgap when I realise dinner's not going to be ready when they're hungry. It's an excellent meal. Carbs, dairy, fruit and nuts, plus some ham if I have any. Ploughman's lunch!

Another comment:

Vegetables should not be served with dinner "on occaion".

:o They don't eat vegetables every day?! Holy fucking malnourished kids, Batman!!! And it's not like they have to buy organic produce and have it delivered. They can get a few bags of frozen mixed vegetables, some canned tomatoes, some chicken boullion, some water and viola! Vegetable soup! Make a pan of cornbread (from scratch, cheaper than a mix, IME) and that's a good dinner.

I'm floored with how broke they are and they're not on food stamps or at least WIC for the pregnant woman and the kids five and under. I'm sure they're not shy about using Medicaid if necessary, KWIM? Why should food stamps and WIC be any different?

NO ONE should ever be 'still hungry' at the end of dinner.

I know tha when, while growing up, my family was at it's poorest, we didn't have extras.

But we always knew we could at least make a PB&J.

I might have still been hungry at the end of lunch @ school but when I was home, there was always *somethin* to eat--granted, it probably wasn't something I *WANTED* to eat, but...food is food, at some point.

And really, it makes sense that a growing child might need more food. At my hungriest, during pregnancy, I obviously didn't limit what I ate--they were large meals and many snacks. At less than 100 lb, while in high school, I probably ate 2-3 times as much as I ate during pregnancy.

Those poor kids.

Let's see.

Two boneless skinless chicken breasts are 220 calories, 46 grams of protein.

A large stalk of celery is 10 calories.

4 large mushrooms would be 20.4 calories

Half a large onion is 30 calories

Now, it gets tricky. She said she added some oil/butter to the boiling water. Let's say she added two tablespoons of butter, which is 72 calories.

She sauteed the mushrooms with some garlic in oil - let's say she added another two tablespoons of canola oil, which is 248 calories.

She added some of the "broth" from boiling the chicken, but we've already counted those calories.

She added some half and half - let's be generous, and say she added two cups. That's 630 calories.

So, the rice topping was a total of 1230.4. Divide that 11 ways, and that's 111.85 calories per person.

Now, for the rice. She used the same water she boiled the chicken in. If she used regular white rice, that's 242 calories per cup of cooked rice.

If everyone got a cup of rice, then that's 353.85 calories.

Here's a chart of what people need by age and activity:

They also had salad - the kind of calories they got there really depends on which dressing they used, and how much.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/esti ... equirement

So, the blogger herself is probably fine, calories wise. Women don't seem to get that they need nearly as many calories as men and even active calories. So something that satisfies them is not going to be enough for a growing child, much less a teenager.

there's no way that anyone should be yammering on the internet about how awesome they are for being in a position where their kids can (and apparently in this case DO) go hungry.

I hadn't thought of it from this perspective, but what a great point. The monthly money spent on an ISP could be better used to feed the family.

oh boy, read the comments in the other linked post. Wow.

Shopping twice a month seems to work well. I know the food must last for two weeks. So I “budget†the food, (that sounds better than ration), down to thinking about how much cheese I can use in a dish to make the bag last as long as it needs to. I print off weekly menus (front and back) to hang on the fridge. I pencil in three meals a day and two snacks a day for two weeks. Then I lock the pantry and dare someone to break in “If it’s not on the menu, you’re not eating itâ€â€¦you just gotta do what ya gotta do. I’m taking charge of my kitchen, apron and all.

Polabear, the chicken stroganoff was just flavouring on the rice, really. Assuming she didn't ration the rice, since there were leftovers, they filled up on rice. It's not a meal I'd boast about, but if I looked carefully at the proportions when we have pasta with a jarred sauce, I wonder if they'd be much different.

OK, this just scares me.

Where is she in Alabama anyway? I know she said when the tornado when through.

I'm floored with how broke they are and they're not on food stamps or at least WIC for the pregnant woman and the kids five and under. I'm sure they're not shy about using Medicaid if necessary, KWIM? Why should food stamps and WIC be any different?

Kelly talks all the time about the evils of government assistance, and she includes Medicaid in this list. They are members of Samaritan "Ministries" instead of being part of an insurance plan. While I wouldn't be surprised if she used Medicaid when she was a single, pregnant woman, that was before her fundie conversion, and now she'd rather let her children go hungry or without medical care than use any government assistance.

Is Kelly the woman who blogged about having her daughter stitched up by a veterinarian?

Her girls that "eat like a bird" comment strikes me. I'm thinking they feel they must, because they're just girls, and to be adequately feminine and servant hearted and meek and mild and all that other bullshit, they've been trained to eat less and give their hunger up to the glory of God.

I have never eaten like a freakin' bird. It just makes me cranky.

I wonder what she does when her kids get what I call bedtime munchies. My kids are often snacky right before bed. They ate a full meal tonight at dinner (plenty for seconds if they were interested), and 2 hours later my son announced that he was kind of hungry. Being that he is ya know trying to grow, I made him a fresh fruit smoothie and a small bowl of pistachios to munch on. He's a happy camper.

Seriously, how do these women put their kids to bed hungry? How can they look at them and know that every baby they have takes more food out of their child's mouth. I would seriously starve before I let my kids go without.

Edited because I can no longer spell

OK, this just scares me.

Where is she in Alabama anyway? I know she said when the tornado when through.

Edited, because I'm not sure if I should have posted that.

Seriously, how do these women put their kids to bed hungry? How can they look at them and know that every baby they have takes more food out of their child's mouth. I would seriously starve before I let my kids go without.

This. QFT.

Plus, yes, kids get munchies. Hell, I get the munchies. However, since I only have one kid (not counting the spoiled furballs, since they don't like table food) it doesn't break the bank to buy snacks that are healthy that we like. Cheese sticks. Yogurt. Carrots. Apples. Mandarin oranges. Pretzels. The blessed Goldfish. Applesauce. Fruit Leather.

Kelly talks all the time about the evils of government assistance, and she includes Medicaid in this list. They are members of Samaritan "Ministries" instead of being part of an insurance plan. While I wouldn't be surprised if she used Medicaid when she was a single, pregnant woman, that was before her fundie conversion, and now she'd rather let her children go hungry or without medical care than use any government assistance.

Is Kelly the woman who blogged about having her daughter stitched up by a veterinarian?

I think it was her. I remember the thread about it.

I haven't been reading Kelly's blog lately, but when I read about the food amounts it reminded me of a few entries on Zsu's blog. I recall an incident on Zsu's blog, involving taco meat that didn't seem enough for 7 people.

This makes me sad. Those kids are going to grow

up starved and having issues with food. My older 3

kids just came upstairs for a snack. Two had an apple

and one had a cheese stick. That was after they

had dinner, and then ice cream for dessert.

They could get WIC and get things like eggs, peanut

butter, etc. Cheap stuff that goes a long way.

More than two chicken breasts and some random,

wilted veggies.

I have a 15 year old who was dumped on us by a Fundie family with strictly rationed food like this last summer. We've had him for seven months and so far, he's gained 20 pounds and 1.5 inches in height. He was terrified of going hungry. We tried to keep him stocked with non-perisables so he could always eat, but he insisted upon hoarding perisables such as hard boiled eggs, apples and meats. We gave up the battle and just put a small dorm fridge in his room. Now, he's learned that if he just hoards, the food will go bad, so he rotates his food stash and feeds the little kids.

I grew up often going to bed hungry. My sister actually taught me how to steal food from the kitchen when my parents were sleeping. I made a decision when I wanted to have a large family that I would NEVER let my children know the feeling I had as a child.

However, the comment that absolutely infuriates me?

You reminded me…they are never “hungry†between meals, only “starvingâ€. To which I give them the third-world country story and threaten to make it real.

You know what, twit, several of my children LIVED starving third world stories and I would NEVER threaten even ONE of my children to "make it real" because I was too damn arrogant to listen when they said they were HUNGRY!

I have a chest freezer and two fridges with smaller freezers. I to mostly serve frozen veggies because it's cheaper and easier than fresh but it's flash frozen and the second best option to fresh. My grocery budget rivals my housing costs AND there are times that I flat-out struggle to keep enough food in the house for all of these growing children. What I would NEVER do is expect 2 fucking pieces of chicken to feed them all, nor lock the damn pantry on them.

I cannot claim this is a new concept though. I was a bit too vocal about my disapproval of deliberately starving children when I ran in fundie circles and made enemies. Children MUST eat. I have rarely touched fresh fruit in years because it goes to MY KIDS. However, my children do NOT go to bed hungry. My children are never told they cannot eat when they are hungry. My children are fed when they are hungry. That is a top priority for all of my kids.

And what do you want to bet when her kids get married they will pig out like Josh Duggar if/until they have large families of their own.

This is the we are in gods zoo and it is his job to take care of us. Fundies will never admit it but they pretty much demand god take care of them. they try to force god to take care of them and sometimes work hard to get him to feel sorry for them and take care of them. OF course god is so stupid he can't see this.

I have a 15 year old who was dumped on us by a Fundie family with strictly rationed food like this last summer. We've had him for seven months and so far, he's gained 20 pounds and 1.5 inches in height. He was terrified of going hungry. We tried to keep him stocked with non-perisables so he could always eat, but he insisted upon hoarding perisables such as hard boiled eggs, apples and meats. We gave up the battle and just put a small dorm fridge in his room. Now, he's learned that if he just hoards, the food will go bad, so he rotates his food stash and feeds the little kids.

I grew up often going to bed hungry. My sister actually taught me how to steal food from the kitchen when my parents were sleeping. I made a decision when I wanted to have a large family that I would NEVER let my children know the feeling I had as a child.

However, the comment that absolutely infuriates me?

You know what, twit, several of my children LIVED starving third world stories and I would NEVER threaten even ONE of my children to "make it real" because I was too damn arrogant to listen when they said they were HUNGRY!

I have a chest freezer and two fridges with smaller freezers. I to mostly serve frozen veggies because it's cheaper and easier than fresh but it's flash frozen and the second best option to fresh. My grocery budget rivals my housing costs AND there are times that I flat-out struggle to keep enough food in the house for all of these growing children. What I would NEVER do is expect 2 fucking pieces of chicken to feed them all, nor lock the damn pantry on them.

I cannot claim this is a new concept though. I was a bit too vocal about my disapproval of deliberately starving children when I ran in fundie circles and made enemies. Children MUST eat. I have rarely touched fresh fruit in years because it goes to MY KIDS. However, my children do NOT go to bed hungry. My children are never told they cannot eat when they are hungry. My children are fed when they are hungry. That is a top priority for all of my kids.

You are wonderful. You are lucky to have those kids and they are lucky to have you.

This reminds me of when I volunteered in the nursery for our

home school co op. I had my youngest there with me, and she

if course, bein a toddler, wanted a snack (co op was 2 hours in the

morning while the older three took classes. My fourth child

attends public school). I started bringing extra snacks because, like

most little kids, everyone wanted what everyone else had. There

was one little girl in particular who was literally eating almost

the entire duration she was there. I would give her some crackers, or goldfish,

or whatever I happened to bring. After a few weeks I mentioned

this to a friend I trust who is in the same home school group, and she

told me its because the mom doesn't allow snacks. I was taken by surprise, I mean

the child was maybe 3 years old. She was obviously hungry by the way

she was inhaling the food when she was with us. I asked my

friend why on earth they didn't allow their kids snacks, and she said

he had no clue. They just weren't allowed. I felt so bad for that poor girl.

This is just so sad. I understand being in an occasional pinch and having to stretch the food budget, but when it is a life style?

Maybe I can teach her a thing or two..... Last week, we were tight, so for dinner one night we made a big pot of chili, about $ 8.00. Dinner one night, two lunches for me at work and chili dogs tonight, and we STILL had left overs! Kelly just needs to learn how to budget.

And what do you want to bet when her kids get married they will pig out like Josh Duggar if/until they have large families of their own.

My "Orc Sister" and I never had enough to eat as children. We're not really sisters, we're friends who were stuck in the same weight loss program as kids and survived it, and orcs because we're both built really, really big. As in big. Even if we were at a healthy body fat percentage (she is now, I'm still working on it) we'd both be well over 250 lbs. We tell people that we're descended from Vikings.

She also plays hockey on a semi-pro team. In an all male-league. And I lift as much weight as the Marines my husband works out with. Big. :orcs-cheers:

Not eating enough had nothing to do with income or faith, both of our mothers had eating disorders which they tried to pass down so we were both forced on low-calorie diets because we were both getting so heavy as we grew. I know what it's like to have the cupboards locked and to get up from the table and go to bed hungry.

And when we hit college we both developed instant weight problems we both blew up like Josh. No surprise there, we had enough to eat for the first time, and little of it healthy back then, and eat we did.

My husband and I are both hoping that when we adopt we can help a kid from this kind of hell. I will point out that thanks to my sister's wife the caterer/nutritionist both of their kids are growing up healthy in every way.

I thought "oh, that sounds like something I might try next time the fridge needs clearing" until I read the part where that's a meal for 11 people. My eyes popped. I was thinking of the SO and I, not another 9 people to feed. Those poor, poor children! Now I'm just pissed off at Kelly. Stop having babies you can't feed, for eff's sake! It's not your deity's will that your kids go hungry, but your effed up priorities that make it so! :angry-cussingblack:

This. The recipe sounded pretty good to be honest (I'm a fan of chicken casserole varieties) but for 11??????

Also my rich self just sort of "assumed" that surely they'd have a vegetable on the side with the casserole, I guess not. But you can get giant bags of flash-frozen veggies (even brussel sprouts and other yummy stuff) for like $2 when they're on sale.

Archived