IGNORED

THIS is why fundies scare me

Koala

If kids get hungry between meals, it's fine to have a shelf of the pantry and/or fridge with healthy snacks for them, so they can help themselves. Grazing is fine, and may even be better for keeping blood sugars level, as long as the kids aren't eating junk.

As for stock, here's my easiest and tastiest version:

Take out a 6 qt crock pot. Throw in:

- 4 chicken carcasses

- 4 onions, cut into quarters, WITH the skins on if they are clean

- misc. veggies, including carrots, celery, parsnips, whatever else may be lying around

- a small handful of dill and a chopped clove of garlic

Add water until the contents are covered. Cook on high for 7 hours, while you go to work or sleep. When it is ready, pour through a fine strainer into a pot, and refrigerate for 24 hours. The flavours will deepen, any gunk will sink to the bottom, and the fat will form a solid layer at the top which can be removed. If you want to store for future use, pour through a funnel into mason jars and stick in the freezer.

Chicken can be removed from the chicken bones, refrigerated, and tossed in when the soup is reheated.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that I'm coming into this thread late in the game, but I have to ask:

Where is Kelly (or any of you) buying small chicken breasts? I can only find large/extra large breasts - usually the smallest is around 6 ounces, average in a bag is 8 ounces. A serving size is 3 ounces or 85 grams. It drives me crazy that they are so absurdly large - I can cook one breast and have several days of lunches.

Even if she had the largest chicken breasts, that still only works out to about an ounce or 28 grams of chicken per person. I hope there was a side.

I can't find the original post - the OP links to Generation Ceder's main page.

Maggie-I buy split chicken breasts from the butcher in the grocery when it's on sale, or I buy bags of frozen cutlets.(it makes it easier when I have to cook seperate meals-both kid's have dietary restrictions)

If I was to cook this same meal for my family of 4, I would have used at least 4 chicken breasts(mabey 5),a whole onion(though I rarely cook with onion),6 celery stalks, a double handful of mushrooms,and about 6 cups of rice(setting some aside to refridgerate for fried rice/side dish the next night).With a bag of frozen carrots and a can of fruit on the side.She is trying to feed almost 3 times as many people.

The comments really got to me,too.I cant stand the thought of children going to bed hungry.It breaks my heart-how on earth can they keep having kids?!

I have 2.I would have loved more,especially after losing several prenancies&one 2nd trimester baby.It would have been easy to give into the obsession I developed with pregnancy and babies-if I was selfish, and didn't think of the negative effects(affects?)it would have on my 2 precious babies.I understand how it happens to some women, and I feel for them-but not when their babies are going hungry.It's time for them to wake up and be grateful for the blessings you've been given!

Sorry to rant-but seriously,I just can't when it comes to hungry kids..:-(

Honestly, the best way to save money on food is just to stop buying meat. I can get a 2-pound bag of lentils for $2.00 and a 2-pound bag of rice for $1.50. That's about 30-40 servings so it could last that family at least 3 days. It's a bit boring but no worse than ridiculous chicken paste. So many people are just afraid to stop using meat a staple, but it's quite freeing once you stop insisting to yourself that every dinner must have meat. It's much healthier too.

I have a 15 year old who was dumped on us by a Fundie family with strictly rationed food like this last summer. We've had him for seven months and so far, he's gained 20 pounds and 1.5 inches in height. He was terrified of going hungry. We tried to keep him stocked with non-perisables so he could always eat, but he insisted upon hoarding perisables such as hard boiled eggs, apples and meats. We gave up the battle and just put a small dorm fridge in his room. Now, he's learned that if he just hoards, the food will go bad, so he rotates his food stash and feeds the little kids.

I grew up often going to bed hungry. My sister actually taught me how to steal food from the kitchen when my parents were sleeping. I made a decision when I wanted to have a large family that I would NEVER let my children know the feeling I had as a child.

However, the comment that absolutely infuriates me?

You know what, twit, several of my children LIVED starving third world stories and I would NEVER threaten even ONE of my children to "make it real" because I was too damn arrogant to listen when they said they were HUNGRY!

I have a chest freezer and two fridges with smaller freezers. I to mostly serve frozen veggies because it's cheaper and easier than fresh but it's flash frozen and the second best option to fresh. My grocery budget rivals my housing costs AND there are times that I flat-out struggle to keep enough food in the house for all of these growing children. What I would NEVER do is expect 2 fucking pieces of chicken to feed them all, nor lock the damn pantry on them.

I cannot claim this is a new concept though. I was a bit too vocal about my disapproval of deliberately starving children when I ran in fundie circles and made enemies. Children MUST eat. I have rarely touched fresh fruit in years because it goes to MY KIDS. However, my children do NOT go to bed hungry. My children are never told they cannot eat when they are hungry. My children are fed when they are hungry. That is a top priority for all of my kids.

I just started reading this thread and have only made it to this post on page 2 but I had to stop and respond. Chaotic Life, you are an amazing woman & mother! I don't spend tons of time here but I've read enough to know how much you sacrifice to give your kids a wonderful upbringing. I hope they realize how lucky they are and while I'm not much for religion, I hope that one day you will be greatly rewarded for the love and devotion you've blessed those children with.

Honestly, the best way to save money on food is just to stop buying meat. I can get a 2-pound bag of lentils for $2.00 and a 2-pound bag of rice for $1.50. That's about 30-40 servings so it could last that family at least 3 days. It's a bit boring but no worse than ridiculous chicken paste. So many people are just afraid to stop using meat a staple, but it's quite freeing once you stop insisting to yourself that every dinner must have meat. It's much healthier too.

I wish I could "like" your post more than once. I completely agree. And if you know even just a little bit about factory farming in the US, you wouldn't buy most affordable meat. Blech. We have steadily been working meat out of our diet for the past few years.

This thread made me so hungry, so I made homemade chicken and noodles. I used an entire chicken (6lbs) and homemade stock. Made my own noodles (flour, eggs, milk, salt and pepper) and on the side, asparagus (fresh, yummy) and because my husband hates good green veggies, he had peas and carrots (I had beets, not pickled. Just beets). Took me back to my granma. She always made Turkey and Noodles after Thanksgiving. (three meals out of that turkey, she knew thrift but fed us all) I learned how to make the noodles from her. I'm teaching my daughter.

What I find the saddest about Kelly and her ilk, is that you can make so many memories with your kids by cooking with them. My mom didn't cook (She did but she hated it) but my granma was a fabulous cook and she taught my brother, sister and I all three how to cook. My husband's mother taught him and his sister how to cook and we all have fond memories of cooking with our mom (or granma). My son, who is autistic, makes pancakes with daddy every saturday and will go to school on monday and tell his class about making pancakes. Memories can be made.

But no, Kelly has to play one upmanship and be holier than thou and better than everyone else.

She is lower than slime mold.

Oh . My . Word .

Generation Dinosaur is AWESOME! :) Scary, because it's so accurate, but still funny.

Sidenote: The whole time I was reading this thread, I was planning ways to fatten up the dinner meal tonight. I already added quinoa into the white chili (a huge pot of white beans/garlic/green chilis/corn/chicken stock that my toddlers will eat by the cupful), and was proud of that, but now I'm like..."Should I add potatoes too?! Let's have biscuits...and veggies..." And this is just a meal for two adults and a 2.5 year old - who barely eats, btw, but is naturally tiny and growing at her own rate, steadily :) - and a 1 year old who is also small but eats like a full grown man. If I'm this paranoid about feeding my TODDLERS, who snack all day and aren't even very old yet, a fattening meal - what in the h - e - doublehockeysticks is wrong with this woman?!

My husband and I are Baptists. We believe children are blessings...we don't purposefully try not to have them (except in the first few months...I'm really fertile then. Weird, I know.), but don't purposefully try to, either. We practiced ecological breastfeeding because we believe it's the best way to bond with babies. (the one you have, not the one you weaned so you could have another) If she's really only feeding her children this much as a matter of course - even one meal like this is sad, but if they had really tough times, I can see doing one really, really, really pathetic meal to scrape by until payday - this woman is 1) a disgrace to "Christians" 2) a disgrace to "mothers", 3) a disgrace to decent humans who look at the budget, look at their life situation and say - "Hmmm...let's practice self control and use condoms for a little while. Ya know, because having HEALTHY children is better than having MORE children."

Knuckleheads. (as my grandmother would say ;))

That's awfully broad generalization. For some people, like my husband, it would be very UNhealthy. Anything with large amounts of fiber sends him into the bathroom for hours since it triggers his IBS. This includes beans, lentils and large amounts of veggies. If we eliminated meat, we'd largely be left with carbs. Since my husband is also diabetic (secondary to pancreactomy), that would be a very bad idea. There are other reasons to eat meat besides my husband's issues, including just plain not having the energy or knowledge to create healthy well rounded meals without it.

• 1 year later...

I only read through part of this thread and am disturbed.

Who is this Kelly person on here feeding her kids two chicken breasts? I take it she has a website? Can I get a link please or a full name? thanks!

I only read through part of this thread and am disturbed.

Who is this Kelly person on here feeding her kids two chicken breasts? I take it she has a website? Can I get a link please or a full name? thanks!

Nishi, there are multiple links in the first two posts.

I loved this thread.

I grew up on a rigidly restricted diet. No lollies, no soft drink, no cake, icecream, etc. We were also strict vegans. When I left home I stacked on a massive amount of weight because all I ate was the stuff I'd never been allowed to.

I was never hungry as a child though. There were never locks on cupboards or fridges and if I said I was still hungry I was always given more. I can't fathom having children and denying them food!

We have one child. We'll never have any more. We have the financial means to ensure the best for one child, no more. He'll never go without food, new clothes, toys or education.

I didn't grow up in a family where any food was restricted. But I did not eat junk only. There were days I would want cookies or a soda when I got home from school, and then ate the meal my mom made for dinner. I am raising my kids almost the same. No food is restricted in our house, but I may tell my kids not to have three sodas in a day or a whole package of cookies. I want them to make good food choices in their lives. Even when we occasionally have fast food for dinner, they will grab a banana or orange for dessert.

I see families, not just fundie families, that want to severely limit what the kids eat. No sweets, no junk, no soda, no seconds, no eating between meals. That causes more problems than are solved by limiting food. I've seen kids sneaking food on Girl Scout camp outs because they are not allowed to have it at home. I've run out of marshmallows, chocolate for smores and granola bars more than you would think on a 3 day camp out.

I didn't grow up in a family where any food was restricted. But I did not eat junk only. There were days I would want cookies or a soda when I got home from school, and then ate the meal my mom made for dinner. I am raising my kids almost the same. No food is restricted in our house, but I may tell my kids not to have three sodas in a day or a whole package of cookies. I want them to make good food choices in their lives. Even when we occasionally have fast food for dinner, they will grab a banana or orange for dessert.

I see families, not just fundie families, that want to severely limit what the kids eat. No sweets, no junk, no soda, no seconds, no eating between meals. That causes more problems than are solved by limiting food. I've seen kids sneaking food on Girl Scout camp outs because they are not allowed to have it at home. I've run out of marshmallows, chocolate for smores and granola bars more than you would think on a 3 day camp out.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
You're cool. Seriously. We had similar rules at home but sodas was something we just didn't do at home. Maybe once a year at McDonald's or at a birthday party. Never at home, though. When I started college I gained some pounds due to drinking Coke ALL.THE.TIME. I didn't even eat a lot or unhealthy or anything but every other day I'd devour a bottle of coke like I was in the desert and this was the last drink.

Mom was CONSTANTLY worried about how much sugar we ate, because she was terrified we'd get diabetes.

I don't know why, because I was always more likely to out out in potato chips than chocolate.

That said, we were allowed cookies and candy and such, but it was not an every day occurrence. I wouldn't call it restricted so much as "not something that happens every day."

Parents who are incredibly strict about sugar make me inwardly cringe, because, while I get where they are coming from, I think it's ridiculous. I think if you teach moderation, things will fall into place.

When my kids were little, we didn't have junk food...mostly because it was expensive. Cookies were homemade, I'd make a treble batch of oatmeal-raisin cookies weekly, substituting bananas and applesauce for the butter and shortening...made 'em a bit healthier. The kids ate them like they were going out of style. Soda was a rare treat. They drank milk, juice and Kool-Aid. However, they were never restricted on quantity of food...they were welcome to eat until they were full. I remember my older son's favorite snack was raw broccoli dipped in melted cheese.

Fast forward about 20 years...they're all grown now, 32, 27 and 24. They still retain the healthy eating habits they learned as kids. I can't imagine restricting food and not feeding hungry children. My grocery bill then was outrageous for the time, I think I spent about 100 bucks a week on food.

Yes, it's expensive to feed a bunch of growing kids...I go into shock when my grandchildren come to visit and I have to do a stock-up grocery run. But, they will never go hungry at Nona's house. I can't imagine how these QF children feel knowing that their bellies will never be full and they won't get the nutritious foods they should be eating.

If you can't feed it don't breed it.

I recognise that accidents happen so I wouldn't want to be too proscriptive but, deliberately having more children when you are struggling to feed those you have properly is cruel and wrong. Children deserve better, especially when they live in the richest country in the world!

This thread just scares me!

I'm a full-time student, and my wife just accepted a permanent job at 35,000 US/year. But, we live in a city, and rent is high (860 or so a month for a one-bedroom and parking), and we just recently decided to start paying for my own phone and health insurance to get out of my controlling parents' grip (I married young and they were still giving this, albeit very limited, help). We also have a good 2012 small SUV, because my wife's commute is 20 minutes highway each way, her old car was always breaking down, and we needed something with more clearance because of the abundant snow here (but it's a major cost, along with insurance each month), and a kitten to feed.

I also have asthma, which has gotten much more severe, lately. I go to a university clinic; generics are covered/heavily subsidized, but guess what? Inhalers aren't generic! So I pay $25 each and try to stretch each of them to buy less. Plus, we have copays for counseling or when I need to go to an urgent care for nebulizing treatment.

I have about $600 to buy Christmas stuff, half of the groceries, caffeine for exam day next week, medicine, laundry ($3.00/load to wash and dry), dinner with a friend, plus any incidentals (extra pens, snacks, etc.), until the second or third week of January.

It's really tight, and I have anxiety, which makes it seem worse. I worry about running out of food, (even as I stuff popcorn into my mouth while writing this post- yes, anxiety's ironic that way!)

Still, I know on a rational level that we will never be as hungry as those kids. If needed, we would cancel the Netflix and Internet (we have our own internet, but our apt complex also provides crappy access), and return our new phones that we got when I went off my parents' plan and onto my wife's. And she's already delayed visits to her family 16 hours away, because we can't afford the trip and still buy food. I feel so bad for those kids, and I just feel so lucky that I only have to deal with the fear, and not the actual hunger (if anything, we get too many calories)- we deal with that now by pre-removing the "leftovers" portions and serving one (reasonable) plate each with equal amounts for each of us, and filling half the plate with veggies.

Also, I've only been married for 10 months. But, I know my wife would take less food, or even skip meals, so I could eat too, because she knows that between my various medical problems (anemia, former struggles with anorexia/disordered eating, anxiety), plus that I work out every day, I need to eat or I might literally crash to the floor! She batch cooks on weekends, so I have food I like for breakfast/lunch (I go to school near home and so I eat mostly at home), and gets really annoyed with me if I don't get 3 meals a day with 3 food groups. It really says a lot that Kelly, who has raised her kids for many years, doesn't see what my (fairly new) spouse does, and isn't willing to put in the extra work and care and love needed to feed her own. :angry-banghead:

Because of this post bothering me so much, I've eaten some mini Reese's cups, half a bowl of 99% fat-free popcorn, and a cookie. We may be young and broke, but I can almost always eat when I'm hungry.

Parents who are incredibly strict about sugar make me inwardly cringe, because, while I get where they are coming from, I think it's ridiculous. I think if you teach moderation, things will fall into place.

I have yet to meet a person who enjoyed a sugar-free diet during their childhood (due to their crazy restrictive parents) WHO DID NOT indulge in heavy binge eating of sugar once they moved out.

So, every time I hear an over-protective over-concerned mother tell me the amazing news of her reducing her child's sugar intake to 0 I'm viciously laughing on the inside, rubbing my hands, and secretly wishing I could be a fly on the wall the day this child grows up and is able to buy its own sugar. :nenner:

The original recipe as Kelly describes (chicken, a celery stalk, four mushrooms, rice) would be a decent dinner -- for me. If I added some spices and probably a carrot, some green beans, and stir-fried everything but the rice. That's dinner with leftovers.

And my kitten eats better than I do, some months -- because there's no kitten-food equivalent of "pasta/rice and beans and canned veggies" or "everything in the crockpot soup". Monster needs actual kitten food, formulated for her, made by a company that is actually making nutrient-rich kitten food rather than filler-full. (My roommate's cat gets the UTI-prone version from the same brand.) If I had any intention or interest in having human kids, I'd feed them the best I could afford and make sure they're never really hungry -- "when's dinner" hungry is okay, "I can't stay focused because I need food" is not. And locking food up? Evil.

I grew up hungry. Regular dinner was a box of mac and cheese, half a box of spaghetti, or two cans of soup -- split five ways. Because it was all my parents could afford and all my mom had time to make after work. And now, at 30, I'm re-learning the best portion sizes. Because the inherent reaction when you have more money is to buy what you WANT and eat as much as you WANT and then your ass expands. Or you never get the chance to only feed yourself and you keep being hungry.

Archived