IGNORED

THIS is why fundies scare me

Koala

generationcedar.com/main/

To start off I want to be very clear. I am in no way criticizing those who are struggling to put food on the table. My mother was that person and but for the grace of my grandparents I don't know where we would have been. They covered childcare and many of my meals for her and she nearly worked herself to death to provide the rest. But here's the thing, NEVER, even once during that time did it occur to her to purposely produce another child to share our meager resources with. But Kelly? Not so much. No, Kelly is posting this week about their food struggles (making it sound like a really fun game to be rationing food) and in the meantime she is yet again pregnant. See the difference? Good.

My first issue is this:

*Chicken casserole

I had 2 small, frozen chicken breasts, a wilted stalk of celery half an onion, 4 mushrooms and some rice.

Boiled the chicken in water with celery stalks, a bit of oil/butter and onion. I sauteed the (finely chopped) mushrooms with some garlic, then made a creamy sauce in that pan with oil, some of the broth and milk (I think I used half and half). Browned the chicken and put it in the blender, chopping rather finely. I poured everything over rice (which I cooked in the chicken broth) and it was SO yummy. Served with salad. I had cheers all around. (I set about 1 cup of excess rice in the fridge for later.)

Now maybe we are just complete gluttons around here, but is 2 chicken breasts really enough to feed a family of 11? 3 of those people are adults and the rest are growing children.

The second issue I have is the picture of her fridge. It is this _ close to empty. Scares the crap out of me. I've got two kids and I spend a small fortune keeping them fed. They are growing and I swear they eat more than I do in a day. Actually I spend more on groceries in 2 weeks than I do on my mortgage. If you told me to take $180 and try to feed a family of 11 3 meals a day for 2 weeks I would flip the fuck out.

Which brings me to my next question. What is she feeding her pregnant self and all of those kids for lunch?

Like I said, if they were just a struggling family it would be one thing, but they're more than that. They are a struggling family who is single handedly trying to repopulate the state of Alabama. I believe Kelly has mentioned food rationing before and that really concerns me. I know Kelly thinks god will provide everything, so maybe she should email him that pic of her fridge. It may be time for the great provider to make a Wal-mart run :roll:

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! I am at a loss for what to say about this other than she should go on food stamps and WIC. They would have enough food for everyone. I agree that the family doesn't have to eat meat at every meal, but 2 chicken breasts are not enough protein for 11 people to share. I hope they really do eat a lot of beans and lentils like she said in her post. The oatmeal casserole sounded gross to me. Why wouldn't they just eat oatmeal and save the other ingredients for another day?

11 people????

Unless those are some enormous, mutated chickens, exclusive to the States, that result in the sort of massive burgers I see in Man Vs Food...

.....no way. I'm doing Sunday dinner tomorrow for five people, and I have two small pheasants, and I'm broke.

Bloody hell. If she's serving food like that often, what, are her kids going to get rickets or something?

Maybe she's thinking that her stories of deprivation will spur readers to send money her way. After all, this is a woman doing the LORD'S WORK so why shouldn't people send her money? At the very least they could send her gift cards to her favorite grocery stores. The Lord will provide (even if people have to go hungry until he gets around to the providing).

The comments are as bad as you would expect:

Lunch question answered:

Kelly~

–I’m with ya. Lunch IS the hardest…so no brilliant ideas, huh? My favorite is “hodgepodgeâ€â€¦nuts, cheese, crackers, fruit. But that’s not always the most frugal. Soups cooked ahead (or extra for leftovers) are a regular around here.

Makes me kind of fear that "hodgepodge"= a little of this and a little of that. Not a very cohesive meal, considering what they probably have for dinner.

From a sheeple:

I would love to hear more about your portions!

I have 9 daughters and almost all of them (except for the youngest two) eat just as much if not more than I do! My oldest (12) will eat double what I eat and still complain that she’s hungry (which isn’t fair since she’s as thin as a bone!). I have felt bad for the past two weeks because after almost every meal at least one of them say they are still hungry, but I just don’t have it in our budget right now to fix more. If I, as a pregnant mom, am satisfied with how much I eat, you would think those who are much younger and eating more than me should be full, right?!

If she feels so bad about not having enough money to feed her kids then WHY is she having another???

Ironic, considering one of her earlier posts is entitled "A Letter to My Children About the 'Good Life.'" Have lots and lots of kids, then write articles about their birdlike appetites, and rationing food.

Kelly is one of the craziest of the crazies. She also turned down any ebil gummint FEMA assistance after the heart-shaped tornado destroyed their home.

I feel sorry for those children.

My concern with that casserole is partly with the lack of protein, but mainly with the lack of vegetables. 4 mushrooms, one stick of (wilted) celery and half an onion? She could have majorly bulked that meal out by throwing a $2 bag of frozen mixed vegetables in and made it larger and healthier.

That breaks my heart, for those kids! I've been a blubbery mess lately, anyway, but I can't bear to think of that many young people having to share such a little bit of food.

Repeat to self... you can't take on the world's problems, you can't, you can't.

The comments are as bad as you would expect:

Lunch question answered:

Kelly~

Makes me kind of fear that "hodgepodge"= a little of this and a little of that. Not a very cohesive meal, considering what they probably have for dinner.

From a sheeple:

If she feels so bad about not having enough money to feed her kids then WHY is she having another???

'Round these parts, hodgepodge is a legit recipe, it's a dish of fresh garden veg (peas, beans, baby carrots, corn) in bechamel sauce. Quite yummy.

I thought "oh, that sounds like something I might try next time the fridge needs clearing" until I read the part where that's a meal for 11 people. My eyes popped. I was thinking of the SO and I, not another 9 people to feed. Those poor, poor children! Now I'm just pissed off at Kelly. Stop having babies you can't feed, for eff's sake! It's not your deity's will that your kids go hungry, but your effed up priorities that make it so! :angry-cussingblack:

This is awful. If she cant feed her kids, why is she having another and why isnt she searching for a job?

2 small chicken breasts, a stalk of celery, half an onion, 4 mushrooms and some rice doesnt seem like a big enough meal for 11 people.Even if she serves it with salad. I dont think that would feed more than two or three people.

Rice. The staple of the poor in China. Yet I am pretty sure she would hate the comparison. Evil communist regime and all that she chooses for her deprived children, struggling to see the difference.

Children first. Food. Heat. Adults. The way my Mum told me it went in hard times. Wonder how much her internet costs in relation to chicken breast.

I secretly want to be fundie, but I don't see many African American who are and having my own home and job probably throws me out of the running.

Those poor children, telling her that they are still hungry. To them another sibling is probably, "less food for me", I can't believe how irresponsible they are being, to have so many kids without the means to provide for them. This is not to knock parenting who are struggling financially, it is more a criticism of adults who CHOOSE to maintain severe poverty by CHOOSING to have more kids.

Uh, they make me so mad.

And even if meat is out of budget, black beans are fairly cheap they, at least, have protein, and I'm not seeing enough of them in her recipes, and I'm seeing a lot of cheap starches, potatoes, pasta, and rice. Which are fine, but shouldn't be all of a diet.

edited for spelling

For all of the trumpeting about how fundies are glorifying god I think this post is very telling. They like to point out how they don't live of but in the world (ie what they wear, how they worship) and promote how much better they are then the general, presumably atheist, public. They tout self control & point to how their children are better then yours. Only, one of the primary reasons that they don't have to deal with obesity is the fact that they don't have enough food.

I'd rather deal with my children having to get more exercise then having them complain that they are hungry. I've been hungry, if I have my way my children will NEVER have to deal with that. Not having snacks is one thing, having to deal with the hunger pangs is something else entirely!

Just take a look at Josh Duggar is you want to know what happens when someone is given unlimited access to food after it being limited their whole life.

:shock: Does this dingbat have a garden? She could easily add bulk and nutrients to her meager food supply with a garden. Aren't all these fundies into gardening and canning. What about chickens? Does she have room for chickens? I don't really read much about this blogger except for what is posted here.

Someone has now addressed the chicken casserole debacle:

That chicken casserole recipe is not enough for 11 people. 2 chicken beasts divided between 11 people is NOT enough protein, especially for growing children! I urfe you to consider Wic and food stamps, God would not want his children to go without.

Of course Kelly replied with her typical nonsense:

Don’t be silly, Mary. One meal with two chicken breast is not going to deprive my family of needed protein (besides that, store-bought chicken is hardly “nutritiousâ€). We get probably more protein than the typical family who lives largely off pre-packaged and fast food. Beans, fruit, nuts, etc…â€His children†aren’t going without.

Notice she only addressed to protein issue. She didn't make a peep about the fact that it's simply NOT enough food.

Chicken puree sounds revolting at the best, but deliberately starving your children so you can breed more mouths to starve is beyond understanding. How can any parent complain about their kids going hungry after meals, and then turn around and justify having another mouth to feed? Why are they doing this? They wibble on about nutritionand healthy eating, but hungry kids aren't healthy kids. But oh! Pregnant mom is eating plenty so she and the baby are healthy! I'll go hungry before my kid ever will. Every parent instinct in me wants to take these parents and shake them senseless, and then take the kids home and feed them a good solid meal with lots of veggies and fruit and plenty of milk and juice.

There is no way that can be a decent amount of food. We spend a he k of a lot more for our family (total 7 - 5 kids and

2 adults). This kind of mentality really upsets me. Kids need to eat. They

are growing. When our older three kids were smaller, my husband

worked double shifts or took the night shift to make more

money so we had what we needed. I get saving money but don't

push it. That measly 2 chicken breasts and whatever else

would maybe feed DH and I. Yikes.

And she says that they have two cows and a deer, or two deer and a cow(I refuse to go back there to see which), in the freezer. Why would she just serve two chicken breasts and then brag about it????

This sort of fundie upsets the shit out of me on a very personal level (as opposed to the more academic level like most of them) because I am LIVING that. I am mad poor right now. I feed my house of three - two growing boylings and myself - on a budget that's more safety pin than shoestring most days. When the kids are with their dad I survive on black beans and rice, cheap pasta dishes, or the like. But when the kids are with me? I will totally make it a point to buy veggies and fruits on sale, make sure they have enough protein, and keep enough vaguely healthy snacks like whole wheat crackers or string cheese or raisins or whatever around to keep them from being hungry if a meal isn't enough for them.

This means that *I* go without. *I* cut back my cell phone plan, *I* don't buy new clothes, *I* don't replace the sunglasses I lost, etc. Because I had these two kids and I owe it to them to do the best I can for them at all points. If these fundies would get their heads out of their uteri for a few seconds they might realize that nowhere in the damned Bible does it say "And then Jesus said 'Starve the little children, that your wife might not work and you might have MORE little children, in order to best serve Me.'"

At least, I'm pretty sure that isn't in there. It's been a bit since I read it. :P

I think they just upset me so bad because there's no way that this situation that we share is serving any higher power, there's no way that choosing this on purpose is noble, there's no way that anyone should be yammering on the internet about how awesome they are for being in a position where their kids can (and apparently in this case DO) go hungry. Making the best of a bad situation is one thing, but making the bad situation and then patting themselves on the back for handling it in the most mediocre manner possible makes me crazy!

:shock: Does this dingbat have a garden? She could easily add bulk and nutrients to her meager food supply with a garden. Aren't all these fundies into gardening and canning. What about chickens? Does she have room for chickens? I don't really read much about this blogger except for what is posted here.

If only she could grow a brain in that garden... :(

I totally agree with you. My parents were by no means rich, but we did have a huge garden, and chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. It always kept us fed. But then my parents also had the good sense to limit their "blessings".

*disclaimer* I also don't follow her, so just know what I read here.

Archived