IGNORED

The inspiring Steve and Teri Maxwell

kpmom

I found this blog in a google search, Raising Servants of Christ.

This woman, the married mother of two teens, seems to have become more fundy in the last couple of years. Apparently this came about from watching the Duggar show on TLC. She then read their book, which led her to MOTH, which led her to the Maxwells.

My guess is she'll become more and more fundy as she gets deeper and deeper into the Maxwell books and tapes. She has bought several, and is saving her money for more.

She seems very easily led.

http:// raisingservantsofchrist.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/the-inspring-steve-and-teri-maxwell-and-why-we-love-their-books/

ETA: She had her tubes tied after her second child was born, and of course became "convicted" of not being able to have more children. They decided to become foster parents after realizing a reversal would be too expensive. I'll give them credit for being foster parents. Not an easy decision to make.

Edited by SouthCarolinaGirl79 to break link.

If she means inspiring like "these people are scary beyond all reason and have inspired me to run far far away from them" I agree.

At least they can't beat the foster kids.

The beginning of the blog post:

I would have never even heard of the Maxwell’s if I hadn’t read the book, The Duggars: 20 and Counting!. I would have never read that book, if I hadn’t watched TLC’s 17 Kids and Counting, which is all about the Duggar’s. It is amazing how things get around if God gives it a blessing, isn’t it?

It's a freakin' miracle! Some famewhores who are trying to make a buck and get the world to live like they do recommended some other people who are trying to sell crap! :roll:

. When my books arrived, I almost hugged the mailman in my excitement!

Don't defraud the mail carrier, lady!

It all came down to this folks….we went from Little House on the Prairie, The Duggars, to the Maxwell’s, and I couldn’t be more grateful.

She does seem easily led, kpmom.

Ooooh, let's send her copies of . . . hm, let's see . . . Fifty Shades of Grey, The Communist Manifesto, Mein Kampf, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Dianetics, and Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Dummies (why yes, there is such a book), and see what happens!

Keeping Our Children’s Hearts. My children are on board now, but not too long ago they probably would have liked to have made a phone call to Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell, asking them “Why, oh why did you have to record this CD!â€. I know I have said it before, but home schooling in the middle is not so easy when your kids are teenagers. This CD will tell you why. Good news? It will tell you how to reverse rebellion, why you should censor every single thing that your kids do, and how to ………well, keep your children’s hearts.

I can't even crack wise about this one. Her poor children. What a betrayal that was.

At first, the way they spoke sounded a little like a preacher on TV, sort of pleading and getting really soft like a whisper in places. It made me feel instantly ashamed, because I was not leading this type of lifestyle, not even close. However, after listening to them for about five minutes, something clicked inside my head and I realized that they weren’t preaching but they were indeed pleading. They were pleading for my children, (whom of course they didn’t even know, yet seemed to care about), and your children, and their children……God’s children. I barely got anything done that day, I was so mesmerized by their words.

Whoa. Cue Twilight Zone music.

Those poor children. They haven't agreed, they just realized that they have to suffer through it until they are 18 and can run.

She makes me sad. She sounds like a vibrant, fun woman who is perhaps a bit unorganized and easily led. Thankfully, the Lord hasn't convicted her to remain skirts only or to give up Harry Potter next, but who knows what will come with time. (I am envious of her trip to Harry Potter theme park. I so want to go!!!)

I am just so tired of this "I am a SAHM and I don't care what the feminists think!" Why is she trying to offend someone? I am a SAHM, and I am a feminist. This is my choice (to stay at home with our kids, though I do some work part time now), and I had to defy my husband to do it (though now he gets why it is important, when we first started he was very against it, because it caused his mother a lot of depression). I don't defer to him in everything because he values me, and it has nothing to do with my vagina or Jesus. Pretty sure Christ is cool with it. He's never given me any hints otherwise, and I know that my work serves others.

I guess she comes off as a bit lonely to me. I am glad they've made some good changes in their lives, but that doesn't have to mean you jump in with both feet into the Ocean o' Berry Blue Kool Aid. Take what helps, leave the rest.

And if she finds this and reads here: you are homeschooling now. Please learn grammar and punctuation with your kids. "Manager's of their Homes" means "Manger IS of their Homes". ManagerS is how you make it plural. And watch your "your/you're" usage. Just because other convicted Christians make grammar errors, doesn't mean you have to do so as well.

I really question the sanity of people that want to turn fundy after watching the Duggars, especially knowing what I know now, thanks to this site...

At least she's not completely on 'EVERYTHING IZ EVIL!' train yet though her teenagers will HATE her

Thoughtful, I'd like to send (to her kids, not her) the following:

The Handmaid's Tale

Fahrenheit 451

Slaughterhouse Five

Little Women

Oliver Twist

The Feminine Mystique

Anything byRichard Dawkins or Stephen Fry

and just for shits and giggles:

The Princess Bride and Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

I found this blog in a google search, Raising Servants of Christ.

This woman, the married mother of two teens, seems to have become more fundy in the last couple of years. Apparently this came about from watching the Duggar show on TLC. She then read their book, which led her to MOTH, which led her to the Maxwells.

My guess is she'll become more and more fundy as she gets deeper and deeper into the Maxwell books and tapes. She has bought several, and is saving her money for more.

She seems very easily led.

http:// raisingservantsofchrist.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/the-inspring-steve-and-teri-maxwell-and-why-we-love-their-books/

ETA: She had her tubes tied after her second child was born, and of course became "convicted" of not being able to have more children. They decided to become foster parents after realizing a reversal would be too expensive. I'll give them credit for being foster parents. Not an easy decision to make.

Edited by SouthCarolinaGirl79 to break link.

You just don't know how close that was to being me. Seriously. Bought the books and everything cause I bought into the whole supermom thing that Michelle projects because I was a terrified new mother and thought the Duggars practiced a different kind of fundamentalism than I was familiar with. When I read about Gothard and the whole clusterfuck I realized that the reason she looked like she had her shit so together is because she had so many sistermoms to do the dirty work. I had that breakthrough when my daughter had taken off her diaper and was skating in her own poop. I lost the baby voice and hollered and felt so guilty. Then I had a revelation. Actually said out loud to nobody "Fuck Michelle Duggar. Bitch has live in help all I have is fucked up nerves."

Then I found FJ and all is well. Thank you, you crazy fools for saving my sanity. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't even crack wise about this one. Her poor children. What a betrayal that was.

Oh HELL yeah. I wonder just what the process of getting them "on board" involved, because... horrifying stuff.

I have a copy of "Keeping Our Children's Hearts" (purchased off eBay) and I've quoted large parts of it here on FJ in various Maxwell threads over time because I think the best way to understand the Maxwells is to let them speak for themselves in their own words - their own horrifying words. That book is just over the top in so many ways, this is the book where they explain in excruciating details how children do not need friends, and how the best way to shelter and avoid "bad appetites" that lead to wasted time is to eliminate ALL activities and then only add back in specific activities that will further the children's "goals in life" (read: "the parents' goals for their children" because this starts far too early for the kids to really have any independent ideas about anything at all).

If this family forced this on the kids as teenagers it must have been terrible, but on the other hand if they're teenagers already, it's not so long before they are legally able to tell their parents to STFU and move out.

Speaking of teenagers... the Munck family only went to their first Maxwell conference and started getting pulled into the Orbit-O-Steve when Elizabeth (the one who was engaged to Joseph Maxwell last year before calling off the wedding) was SIXTEEN. Sure, her family was fundie, but even that had to be quite the wtf situation. Not sure how the rest of the kids are faring now, I have to admit I'm curious.

The only thing Steve and Teri Maxwell inspire me to do is run the other direction from them and their methods of running a family.

Those poor children. They haven't agreed, they just realized that they have to suffer through it until they are 18 and can run.

ITA. Those poor kids :(

The only thing Steve and Teri Maxwell inspire me to do is run the other direction from them and their methods of running a family.

QFT

I'm still new to the site and crazy fundies, but these people really frighten me.

edited because I'm too stupid to use smilies

I use them as an example of how NOT to raise my kid!

At first, the way they spoke sounded a little like a preacher on TV, sort of pleading and getting really soft like a whisper in places. It made me feel instantly ashamed, because I was not leading this type of lifestyle, not even close. However, after listening to them for about five minutes, something clicked inside my head and I realized that they weren’t preaching but they were indeed pleading. They were pleading for my children, (whom of course they didn’t even know, yet seemed to care about), and your children, and their children……God’s children. I barely got anything done that day, I was so mesmerized by their words.

This just sounds creepy.

On a bright note if you play it backwards a la Black Sabbath. Teri is actually saying 'I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, Coke..it's the real thing!'

Her post about taking her daughter off ADHD medication is making me see red.

If she misses a dose or takes it later than usual, she pays for it dearly the next day with stomach cramps, exhaustion, lethargy, and weeping.

THEN GIVE HER THE MEDS CONSISTENTLY. Jesus, that's your job as a parent, especially if your kid is too young to do it herself.

She has “ticks†from the medicine, not facial tics, but nervous tics like having to have something to chew on 24/7.

Well, yes, then just take her off a control II substance COLD TURKEY because you don't like that your kid chews on things. Know what? She's trying to self soothe herself, and instead of consulting your doctor, let's just stop all together and witness your child go through MAJOR withdrawals.

but off of her medication she struggles with math. It will also take a load of patience from me, diligence in showing her over and over again how to organize herself, count to ten (or twenty or thirty) before making a decision that could have consequences, and persistence to show her how to calm herself when calmness is called for. All of this I will do with a smile because God has a sense of humor.

Now, I hate the idea of medicating a child to "fix" them, but if your kid has a genuine issue with ADHD such as not being able to do math and controlling her impulses, then have it treated!

Holy crap, do I feel sorry for those teens. I can't even imagine what must be going through their heads. And fuck her for forcing her daughter to get off ADHD meds. I don't have ADHD, but I can tell you from experience that getting off meds you need and trying to "teach" yourself to self-manage anxiety and depression work REAL WELL (not). My dad pulled me out of therapy and off Prozac when I was 15 because he didn't want to pay for it and said I should just "pull myself together." I stayed depressed until I was old enough to manage my own healthcare.

This just sounds creepy.

On a bright note if you play it backwards a la Black Sabbath. Teri is actually saying 'I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, Coke..it's the real thing!'

Except in Teri's case, it's Pepsi that's the real thing. :obscene-drinkingchug:

Holy crap, do I feel sorry for those teens. I can't even imagine what must be going through their heads. And fuck her for forcing her daughter to get off ADHD meds. I don't have ADHD, but I can tell you from experience that getting off meds you need and trying to "teach" yourself to self-manage anxiety and depression work REAL WELL (not). My dad pulled me out of therapy and off Prozac when I was 15 because he didn't want to pay for it and said I should just "pull myself together." I stayed depressed until I was old enough to manage my own healthcare.

I identify a lot with these fundies. My parents were against any type of therapy and medication even though I was a highly stimulated child who battled with behavioral problems. My teachers advised them to have it treated, but they wouldn't hear of it and I got shipped off to BOCES. I identified in my teens I had a problem and took it into my own hands to seek treatment. I found a medication that worked for me (it's not always easy and you have to switch medications or alter dosage) my parents were like "omg, you're so different! I guess you do have a problem and you aren't a defiant child after all!" :roll:

I hope they don't deny her treatment when she realizes she needs medication for her ADHD. It sucks to realize that you could have succeeded in school and with personal relationships if your problems were paid attention to and treated properly and not because "Jebus solves all your problems if you believe in him." The most courage thing to do is see you have a problem and address it properly, God help those that help themselves.

We had a thread on these folks a while ago:

http://www.freejinger.org/viewtopic.php ... tsofchrist

I agree that she seems to be easily led and is throwing herself headlong into a lifestyle that is more dangerous than she realises.

If you check the archives of FJ the Maxwells have a new thread almost weekly! I tried, for awhile, to merge them, but it gets irritating. If it is not on the front page, and sometimes even if it is, people still make new threads. Oy, when the Duggars came out about Jubilee, there was a pinned post and, still, a new post would pop up nearly every hour! But they are up there with the Pearls for parental fuckery.

All Teri Wanted was a Pepsi!

I don't find Steve and Teri Inspiring at all...I find them rather frightening..

I wish the Muncks (others who are in the know) would spill what the Maxwells are REALLY like.

I don't find Steve and Teri Inspiring at all...I find them rather frightening..

I wish the Muncks (others who are in the know) would spill what the Maxwells are REALLY like.

Same here. It really bothers me that r Maxwell Wanabees who want to raise their kids like they do. Many of them consider Steve & Teri ones to look at when it comes to parenting & raising kids.

All Teri Wanted was a Pepsi!

Just one Pepsi, and Steve wouldn't give it to her! :lol:

I just couldn't resist that.

Back on topic: the Maxwells, to me, only serve as a warning about what to avoid if you want to have a happy life.

Archived