IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell is 31 today.

Sola

Poor Sarah. Every time I see her name pop up, I think of this post, specifically:

Treemom marched straight to the Maxwell table o'crap and told Sarah and Mary, "I just want to let you that if you want to leave your father's cult, there are people who will help you." Sarah looked bewildered and Mary said, "But I love my Daddy" and made a heart with her hands against her chest.

It just makes me want to cry. 31 years old, infantilized, and trapped in that life.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would not want to see me if my parent or grandparent was being proselytized to while they were in the friggin' nursing home. Now, I hope that neither Grandma or my Mom ever have to go to a home, but if they did and someone was trying to ram Jeebus down their throats I'd probably raise such holy heck that those a-holes would never set foot inside the nursing home again. How dare they try to scare a dying old woman into changing life long beliefs.

Does anyone know which nursing home they are affiliated with?

You would not want to see me if my parent or grandparent was being proselytized to while they were in the friggin' nursing home. Now, I hope that neither Grandma or my Mom ever have to go to a home, but if they did and someone was trying to ram Jeebus down their throats I'd probably raise such holy heck that those a-holes would never set foot inside the nursing home again. How dare they try to scare a dying old woman into changing life long beliefs.

Agree!! The nursing homes in my area don't do any type of service, but they do have clergy people who come in to see the residents though.

Hey Sarah and Steve! Maybe Miss A is Jewish!* gasp You worship a Jew, right? Therefore Jews must be okay just as they are, right? Right?!?

*Yes, there are Jews in Kansas. :)

I was thinking the same thing.

Is it too much to hope that one of the "elderly" will lob a full bedpan at them during one of their harangues? The thought of Steve getting beaked on the noggin is a very appealing one.

Golden Living Center in Lansing, KS. titus2.com/ffj.html

From Sarah's drive-through safari birthday post (bolding mine):

"Settled the question??" I'm assuming this happened during the Maxwells' nursing home Sunday service for the "elderly," and that this "appears to be dying" woman is in a vulnerable physical and mental state. Where are the people in charge of this place? The Maxwells have no business haranguing these poor people with their death-drama obsession!!

:angry-screaming:

I'm a long-time lurker but I have to de-lurk to say that their behavior makes me so fucking angry. I volunteered at a nursing home for several years during college, giving manicures and fixing hair and reading books aloud and hanging out and listening to rambling stories about grandchildren or long-ago childhoods. I am a Christian, but I never once even talked about religion unless they brought it up (quite a few did, this was in the Bible Belt). I bought one elderly lady a large print King James Bible because she asked for it, and got another lady a bunch of Mary Higgins Clark books. I listened and sang old songs and heard the same stories dozens of times and answered the same questions dozens of times. I sat with a woman who was dying and didn't have family left, and I held her hand and told her she was beautiful and loved, always and forever, because I wanted her to take that with her into the dark. I did it because these were human beings who lived and accomplished things and impacted the world we live in, and they deserve kindness and a listening ear. They just do. My faith and my conscience tell me that.

Fuck them and the horse they rode in on, treating a dying woman with such disrespect. I don't regret for a second spending my time loving instead of proselytizing, and while I can't presume to speak for Jesus of Nazareth, I like to believe He'd feel the same.

31st birthday, let me see . . . IIRC my husband took me out to a fancy restaurant and I tried some new kinds of sushi, and then we watched my favorite romantic movie and one thing led to another. A carbon copy of an elderly relative's birthday, I don't think so.

Sarah, your parents are battening on you. And if they can't even be bothered to ask you what you like on your own birthday, do you think you'll ever get a husband if you wait for Steve God to provide? Could any prospect ever measure up to what they want? Go find some nice guy through a Christian dating service or a local church that does not recognize Steve's qualifications to preach or something. Pull off the sucking tentacles for your own sake!

Ohshit, I hope Sarah is reading this and not Steve looking for something else to indoctrinate his useful homegrown workforce preach against.

ETA: The thing that gets me about all this is what a previous poster pointed out: Sarah is being told on one hand that marriage and motherhood are her highest, purest purpose . . . and on the other hand it's quite clear that the person she has been taught to look to for a husband will never, never, never let her marry. If Sarah said that she had accepted the high calling of assisting her parents as a perpetual maiden or whatever, I would be sad for her (stuck at home with the Toxic Two, ugh!) and hope that she really wasn't the marrying kind, but as it stands it's clear that she is being swindled out of marriage and children.

The woman might be a Catholic, or more mainstream Christian. To Stevie, they are not "acceptable". :snooty:

If this woman is truly dying, I doubt Sarah would be allowed anywhere near her. She would be in her room and only her family and friends would be allowed to visit. I would surly hope the Home doesn't allow strangers wondering the halls. It's one thing for the Maxwells to give a "service" in a public area, it's a whole 'nother animal for them to be wondering the halls....Big security no-no.

I wonder if its an explicitly Christian nursing home the preach at. I'm thinking not, cause if it was run by a certain denomination they would run their own services.

I would be so furious if they pulled that in a sick and fragile lived one of mine. Scaring a dying lady with images of hellfire? That's evil,

Guest Anonymous
I wonder if its an explicitly Christian nursing home the preach at. I'm thinking not, cause if it was run by a certain denomination they would run their own services.

I would be so furious if they pulled that in a sick and fragile lived one of mine. Scaring a dying lady with images of hellfire? That's evil,

It's a 'chain' style group of nursing homes that simply says in the brochure that they offer various religious services for people who want them.

I've always felt for the poor buggers on the first floor, whose bedroom windows would look out on the message printed on Uriah's rear window, as it is parked up during the service: "Do you know where you will go if you die tonight?" :shock:

It's a 'chain' style group of nursing homes that simply says in the brochure that they offer various religious services for people who want them.

I've always felt for the poor buggers on the first floor, whose bedroom windows would look out on the message printed on Uriah's rear window, as it is parked up during the service: "Do you know where you will go if you die tonight?" :shock:

I find it difficult to believe that a resident or their family hasn't complained about the Protestant service being provided by lunatics like the Maxwells. I can't imagine Steve toning it down too much, and if I visited Grandma on a Sunday and accompanied her to the service only to be confronted by the clusterfuck of extremism and dysfunction that is the Maxwells I would be having words with the management.

Guest Anonymous

From my experience of once being part of a church youth group that was dragged along to nursing home services to sing, and from once working for a while as a care assistant, the culture of nursing homes tend to depend a lot on the staff who run each one. And in cases where there are few visitors and little in the way of entertainment, churches are often seen as a good thing to enliven the atmosphere. I imagine that few people see beyond the jolly blue-grass singing and really listen to the words that are being spoken. From a distance, it will appear as though a good Christian family are giving up their time selflessly to demonstrate love to the 'elderly'. They have been doing it so long now; they even live-streamed the NR Anna wedding and sent a cake for the 'elderly' to share in the experience, that I expect most people consider them to be benign friends.

That's true, I forgot about the bluegrass. And I'm sure they love the babies (when I used to visit my ex father in law in his nursing home with my babies and toddlers I would be quite literally mobbed by old ladies).

But I do find it odd that staff or family haven't looked further into them, found their website, and suggested that maybe a local ecumenical church would be a better idea

The picture of all the 'children' belted into the car makes my brain scream STEPFORD!

Guest Anonymous
That's true, I forgot about the bluegrass. And I'm sure they love the babies (when I used to visit my ex father in law in his nursing home with my babies and toddlers I would be quite literally mobbed by old ladies).

But I do find it odd that staff or family haven't looked further into them, found their website, and suggested that maybe a local ecumenical church would be a better idea

You wouldn't have been mobbed at the Maxwell church; they have a 'no touch' rule because: something to do with the elderly having germs, I think?

You wouldn't have been mobbed at the Maxwell church; they have a 'no touch' rule because: something to do with the elderly having germs, I think?

Really? That's so sad. So the Maxwell "children" have no physical contact at all with anyone but family till they marry.

Guest Anonymous

I think it is just the small children who are not allowed to be touched. Honestly, I probably wouldn't be keen to pass a baby round a group of strangers myself, but then I'd not pretend they were my friends in the first place.

The ONLY friends that I have noticed that the Maxwell kids have r the elderly. They might have other friends but the elderly seem to be the ones they spend the most time with.

Really? That's so sad. So the Maxwell "children" have no physical contact at all with anyone but family till they marry.

That's interesting I was under the impression that they did touch the elderly.

I'm a long-time lurker but I have to de-lurk to say that their behavior makes me so fucking angry. I volunteered at a nursing home for several years during college, giving manicures and fixing hair and reading books aloud and hanging out and listening to rambling stories about grandchildren or long-ago childhoods. I am a Christian, but I never once even talked about religion unless they brought it up (quite a few did, this was in the Bible Belt). I bought one elderly lady a large print King James Bible because she asked for it, and got another lady a bunch of Mary Higgins Clark books. I listened and sang old songs and heard the same stories dozens of times and answered the same questions dozens of times. I sat with a woman who was dying and didn't have family left, and I held her hand and told her she was beautiful and loved, always and forever, because I wanted her to take that with her into the dark. I did it because these were human beings who lived and accomplished things and impacted the world we live in, and they deserve kindness and a listening ear. They just do. My faith and my conscience tell me that.

Fuck them and the horse they rode in on, treating a dying woman with such disrespect. I don't regret for a second spending my time loving instead of proselytizing, and while I can't presume to speak for Jesus of Nazareth, I like to believe He'd feel the same.

Welcome delurker. I agree with everything you said. Their attitudes regarding the residents at that nursing home have also pissed me off.

As other posters have mentioned, I have also wondered why the nursing home employees or family members of the residents haven't complained or tried to put an end to Maxwell services. I'm pretty sure that at least some of the employees have to know about the titus2 website, especially since Christopher and Anna's wedding was streamed at the nursing home.

I have a feeling that no one among the staff or the residents' families has objected because the Maxwells' brand of Christianity may be considered fairly mainstream in that neck of the woods.

Or that the people who run the home don't care or aren't aware of what the Maxwells are doing to harass the residents who won't turn towards Jebus. Its a very stressful job to work in a nursing home. I wouldn't be shocked if they are just simply unaware of the harassment.

What infuriates me about the Maxwells is that regardless of how you've lived your life, no matter how much good you may have done, how kind and selfless you may have been, it's all for naught if you haven't accepted Jesus. You're just a lost soul condemned to hell. On the other hand, if you've been the scum of the earth, just the lowest of the low, cruel, inhuman, whatever, as long as you say those magic words you're A-OK is Maxwellville. There's seriously something wrong with this picture. The Maxwells' inability to understand or at least tolerate differing beliefs just boggles my mind. Hell, they won't even acknowledge other beliefs as Steve's freakout over the mountain climbing video proves.

Archived