IGNORED

Lori Alexander and Ice Dipping

According to Lori, all you need to do to heal a broken bone is to dip it in ice water for a week.

I was at a good friend's house several years ago and while I was standing talking to a friend, her dog decided to sleep at my feet. I didn't see him there so when I turned around, my feet were stuck under him and I landed on my right arm in agony.

I didn't go to the doctor...but I'm sure it was broken. I didn't want a cast on it because I knew ice dipping it would heal it much faster. {We did have an x-ray taken and no bones were out of place.} Within a week of ice dipping, it was so much better.

I'm confused though, if she had xrays she must have gone to some sort of medical facility and she must of been told if it was broken or not.

This is also the post where she talks about trying to kick her cat, but kicks the wall instead. Thank you karma.

Ice dipping? That would feel great on a 20 degree day in January, I'm sure. :roll:

And if no bones were out of place, her arm wasn't broken. Oh, wait, it's Lori. If she says it was broken, what is an x-ray to argue with her? :?

Shit, why didn't I know about this before my friend broke her neck last year? We could saved her the nightmare of 4 months in a head brace by just lying her in a bath full of ice. :doh:

Can't wait to tell my husband about this when he comes home from work at the hospital where he x-rays peoples' broken bones...

I doubt she had a fracture. I suspect she had a sprain or strain - which we do treat with rest and ice. Her whole anti doctor thing is getting irritating. Doctors don't treat fractures for fun - we do it to help proper healing. Lori had best be careful about the medical advice she doles out.

I doubt she had a fracture. I suspect she had a sprain or strain - which we do treat with rest and ice. Her whole anti doctor thing is getting irritating. Doctors don't treat fractures for fun - we do it to help proper healing. Lori had best be careful about the medical advice she doles out.

This. Of course ice is going to make it feel better if all that's really wrong with it is some swelling :roll:

Broken bones do not heal in one week. That is physiologically impossible. However ice would hep a strained injury and it would heal in about a week usually. Although, I get a chuckle out of the though of Lori putting herself through some unnecessary torture since RICE would have been more than sufficient and she didn't actually need to dip her elbow in ice water.

Even if it was fractured, medical protocol no longer necessarily dictates casting (like they used to do) in all cases. My dad slipped and cracked a bone in his arm, but it wasn't out of place, nor was it in danger of becoming so, so the doctors, much to my surprise, didn't chose to cast it. They didn't even give him a sling because they said they wanted him to continue using the arm to keep the muscles from atrophying. Ice baths of the area, though, wouldn't have done anything but cause him more discomfort.

According to Lori, all you need to do to heal a broken bone is to dip it in ice water for a week.

I'm confused though, if she had xrays she must have gone to some sort of medical facility and she must of been told if it was broken or not.

This is also the post where she talks about trying to kick her cat, but kicks the wall instead. Thank you karma.

A stupid fundie is a pleonasm.

I guess when DS was 2 and broke his leg we should have used an ice dip for him? WTF is she thinking telling people they don't need to have a cast on a broken bone? The doctor did say that if he was older she would not have put a cast on him considering it was a hairline fracture of the growth plate, but being so young there was no way to keep him off of it. He only had the cast on his entire leg for 4 wks. Full-leg cast so that he could walk on it. After that he was stiff for about 2 more weeks before he didn't limp anymore. Since it was in the winter we had to put a boot (his big sister's old pink boot) on his cast so he could play in the snow.

Archived