IGNORED

anesthesiologist allegedly assaults 21 women in OR

linnea27

WTF? How in the world could someone do that another. It is disturbing to think that could happen with others right in the room and no one noticed. Did he seriously think that he could get away with it, when these women were semi-conscious and could see and hear everything that is going on around them? I hope that he is put away for the rest of his life even though that wouldn't be enough.

This is worrisome. I'd always thought that in an OR, much like at a doctor's office, vulnerable patients were never secluded. At the very least this case will hopefully cause hospitals to re-think how their ORs are set up. Those poor women...

The only times I've had that type of conscious sedation has been during my C-section births and, of course, there were way too many people in the OR, not to mention my husband being there. For me, surgeries and medical procedures are traumatic enough. I can't fathom being sexually assaulted in the process...in an OR full of people that we (typically) trust.

We do conscious sedation all the time in the ICU but there's usually 3 people in the room and the RN administers the meds. I've had a colonoscopy done and an anesthesiologist was present for that (damn waste of money if you ask me) along with another doc and two nurses. I don't want to dismiss the allegations but from my experience it would be really hard to find the time and privacy to molest somebody in the OR. I guess every hospital is different.

We do conscious sedation all the time in the ICU but there's usually 3 people in the room and the RN administers the meds. I've had a colonoscopy done and an anesthesiologist was present for that (damn waste of money if you ask me) along with another doc and two nurses. I don't want to dismiss the allegations but from my experience it would be really hard to find the time and privacy to molest somebody in the OR. I guess every hospital is different.

I wondered that too, but really, with 21 different women coming forward, I can't believe they're all lying.

It's not that I disbelieve the testimony of these women, especially 21 of them. However, I cannot wrap my brain around HOW he accomplished this. How did he assault women so violently and sexually in an operating room full of hospital personnel? There should have been AT LEAST four other people in that room every singe time. You're requiring to have a circulating nurse, a scrub nurse, a surgeon and a surgeon's assistant in addition to the anesthesiologist. The circulating nurse does exactly that--they circulate. Even with a privacy screen to protect the sterile field, the circulating nurse would be walking all around where the anesthesiologist was.

I believe them. I just don't understand how those women failed to be SAFE in that situation!

Wow. How brazen! Right there in the sane room with other members of the staff. He just pulled a curtain a bit. What a letch.

My ex is a surgeon you would not believe some of the things that go on. Best case senario is crude humor about patients appearances, this was so common, I was so sick listening to respected doctors talking like a bunch of teen perverts. Sex related stuff happens more often then is known(if you ever need to be shaved for surgery DO IT YOURSELF) , alot of time the scrub tech or low level guy gets blamed. Check your state dept of professional liscencing and you will see lots of people discplined in the OR. The other stuff that makes me ask a million questions before surgery right now was how unsanitary it was, operating room staff eating especially during long surgeries, kids visiting their parents(dr, nurses) in the OR area, bugs falling into patients. There were monitors but I saw sports on them. I saw this at more then one hospital, all were larger academic hospitals. The more academic, with lots of residents "watching"(well doing the doctors work for peanuts) the more it happens.

The testimony

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/a ... ng-surgery

How could someone get away with this DURING surgery?

ETA - this just re-enforces the need for cameras during surgery. Would solve/prevent a lot of things.

O.O

I don't know what to say... This is just about the creepiest thing I think I've read in a long time. More creepy than men in the chamber of a porta-potty.

Archived