IGNORED

YA fantasy and science fiction (for wtyclf)

Terrasola

I was going to say Terry Pratchett too. His stuff aimed at YA but also his other books... There's nothing "adult" in them.

Yeah, my mom started me off on the Discworld series when I was 10. This was before he published the three YA Discworld books. There's a naughty joke here and there, but my mom correctly guessed that they would fly right over my head until I was old enough to get them. :lol:

Yeah, my mom started me off on the Discworld series when I was 10. This was before he published the three YA Discworld books. There's a naughty joke here and there, but my mom correctly guessed that they would fly right over my head until I was old enough to get them. :lol:

How old were you when you realised that the Guild of Seamstresses weren't so talented at sewing?

Interestingly enough, having started reading Discworld at 10 too, I got the seamstresses joke without actually knowing what they really did... I just knew it was something "naughty". As I learned about prostitution, the gaps filled in nicely.

Interestingly enough, having started reading Discworld at 10 too, I got the seamstresses joke without actually knowing what they really did... I just knew it was something "naughty". As I learned about prostitution, the gaps filled in nicely.

Honestly, I don't remember when I figured that one out. :lol: I've been reading them over and over again for so long that it's all sort of blended together. That said, I could probably pick up a Discworld book I'd read 10 times today and notice something I'd never picked up on before. He packs an amazing amount of research in there.

They are a little bit older (early 80s) so maybe you've already read them, but I really liked Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown, back in the day.

I don't read a ton of YA or fantasy, but I have teenage sisters who give me recommendations from time to time. I just started Eon/Eona by Alison Goodman and that seems to have an interesting premise/setting.

• 2 weeks later...

I could rec YA all day long with my eyes closed, lol.

Unwind (can't remember who mentioned it earlier) is awesome, there's a sequel which is either just out or will be out soon.

the Uglies series is good but the slang gets slightly annoying after a while.

Lauren Oliver: Before I fall, Delirium series

Kiera Cass: The Selection series

Ally Condie: The Matched trilogy

Lauren DeStefano: Chemical Garden trilogy

Veronica Roth: Divergent Trilogy

Michelle Hodkin: Mara Dyer Trilogy (love love love these)

Anna Banks: Of Poseidon series

Kiersten White: Paranormalcy

Ann Aguirre: Enclave

Maggie Stiefvater: The Scorpio Races

Kriten Cashore: Graceling

lol, it's probably easier if you just check the flowchart

http://www.lawrence.lib.ks.us/2012/07/i ... r-games-3/

I could rec YA all day long with my eyes closed, lol.

Unwind (can't remember who mentioned it earlier) is awesome, there's a sequel which is either just out or will be out soon.

the Uglies series is good but the slang gets slightly annoying after a while.

Lauren Oliver: Before I fall, Delirium series

Kiera Cass: The Selection series

Ally Condie: The Matched trilogy

Lauren DeStefano: Chemical Garden trilogy

Veronica Roth: Divergent Trilogy

Michelle Hodkin: Mara Dyer Trilogy (love love love these)

Anna Banks: Of Poseidon series

Kiersten White: Paranormalcy

Ann Aguirre: Enclave

Maggie Stiefvater: The Scorpio Races

Kriten Cashore: Graceling

lol, it's probably easier if you just check the flowchart

http://www.lawrence.lib.ks.us/2012/07/i ... r-games-3/

I love that you listed Delirium! It is one of my favorite YA books.

Have you read the Caster Chronicles? (Beautiful Creatures, as in the new movie that just came out.) It's a bit more syfy but very well written for the genre's stereotypes.

Have you read the Caster Chronicles? (Beautiful Creatures, as in the new movie that just came out.) It's a bit more syfy but very well written for the genre's stereotypes.

I am almost finished with the first of these. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The writing is sometimes good, but at other times a bit overwrought. :). I guess that's YA fir you. I wish it were told from the POV of the girl, b/c I think the authors are having some difficulty capturing the voice if a 16-year-old guy.

I'm reading Voyage of the Unquiet Ice, by Andrew McGahan, sequal to Coming of the Whirlpool. Fantastic childrens/YA nautical fantasy. I love Dow, the main character.

Growing up, I really enjoyed the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper. I also thought the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey were good (though I admit I have only read a couple of the trilogies that were a part of it).

I am currently reading The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers. It's a fun book and has a lot of neat illustrations (the author is also a cartoonist). It's part of the Zamonia series.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived