IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures Blog

StarrieEyedKat

The topic discussing Sparkling Adventures/Lauren/her son's death has almost reached 100 pages, so I'm starting a new topic with a slightly less unwieldy name. Here's the last post from the first thread:

amydamy said:

I was reading some old posts and it looks like she cuts it because she doesn't like hair on her face. I wish Lauren would just buy her some barrette or head bands to keep the hair off her face or take her somewhere to get a straight up pixie cut rather than let her hack hunk of her hair off.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her children aren't wearing shoes in public building? I totally missed that. That is just nasty and unhygienic. Things may be different in other cultures and I get that, but where I come from it is just the trashy people who let their children walk around in Wal-Mart barefooted. Not having the money for proper footwear is one thing, but when the mother has on shoes and is filling a buggy up with crap while her children are walking around barefooted on a nasty Wal-Mart floor, it is trashy.

Before it gets lost, here's the link to the old thread, mostly for my own benefit because I haven't read it yet, but wonder why it got up to 100 pages.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11137

Thank you, I meant to add that to the OP.

Surely theres an easier way for the girls to not have hair on their faces without giving eachother ugly self inflicted haircuts-even Lauren doing it for them, or even just tying their hair back would work.

As for shoes, I dont know why Lauren wears shoes but her children never wear any. Sure, if theyre playing in a safe place where theres no glass on the floor, but surely on the streets it will get hot (I tried taking my shoes off in public in the middle of the summer as my feet were hot, the floor was burning hot, so I got myself some sandals instead), there might be glass or stones that could hurt feet and in public buildings its just unhygenic and I am suprised they let her in with all the barefoot kids.

Her children aren't wearing shoes in public building? I totally missed that. That is just nasty and unhygienic. Things may be different in other cultures and I get that, but where I come from it is just the trashy people who let their children walk around in Wal-Mart barefooted. Not having the money for proper footwear is one thing, but when the mother has on shoes and is filling a buggy up with crap while her children are walking around barefooted on a nasty Wal-Mart floor, it is trashy.

I don't give a toss about nasty or trashy. Wear what you want when you want. However, in public places and especially stores, no one cleans up broken glass particularly well. Glass in your feet hurts, and is really hard to get out!

I really like listening to a child's preference for their own hairstyle. But why does it have to be ugly? Oh, that's right, if she had a pretty pixie cut, no one would know that Lauren is so sparkly she encourages her to cut her own hair?

The pictures of those little girls make me so sad. Their hair is nearly matted and Calista and Dell both routinely have hair chopped off. Their clothes have stains and now Lauren can't even be bothered to keep shoes on their little feet. What the hell do people think when she shows up with them in this condition? She doesn't even make sure they have proper baths.

As a mom I just don't understand it. My daughter had a head full of gorgeous curls when she was a toddler and I spent lot of time brushing it for her and then pinning it up so it wouldn't be in her little face while she played. Both of my children were allowed to get dirty, but afterwards they were given baths and fresh clothes. I just don't understand...

That was the first thing I noticed about that post! When I was growing up, I hardly wore shoes and the result was that I stepped on many things that injured my feet, including a brass candle holder with a spike in it (ouch!). I would never let me children run around in public without shoes, it's just gross, not to mention that it looks trashy.

The pictures of those little girls make me so sad. Their hair is nearly matted and Calista and Dell both routinely have hair chopped off. Their clothes have stains and now Lauren can't even be bothered to keep shoes on their little feet. What the hell do people think when she shows up with them in this condition? She doesn't even make sure they have proper baths.

As a mom I just don't understand it. My daughter had a head full of gorgeous curls when she was a toddler and I spent lot of time brushing it for her and then pinning it up so it wouldn't be in her little face while she played. Both of my children were allowed to get dirty, but afterwards they were given baths and fresh clothes. I just don't understand...

Right?! I had curly hair that was hard for my mom to manage, so she took me and got my hair cut short. I did not chop it off myself and my playmates did not chop it off either (granted, I was an only child). My cousins occasionally would have their hair cut by their siblings, but it would only happen once and their parents learned to a)keep the scissors out of the kids' reach and b)teach the kids not to cut each other's hair. Of course, that wouldn't work for Lauren, because telling the kids not to cut each other's hair would violate her children's sovereignty.

Unless you live in a place where people defecate on the ground it's not really any less hygienic than walking around without gloves or a face mask. That's actually why, contrary to what many believe, the health department simply doesn't care (and if you want you can write to them directly and ask).

Unless you live in a place where people defecate on the ground it's not really any less hygienic than walking around without gloves or a face mask. That's actually why, contrary to what many believe, the health department simply doesn't care (and if you want you can write to them directly and ask).

What about where animals defecate? Isn't that pretty much everywhere?

I wonder if she makes them wash their hands after letting them play with dead animals.

I wonder if she makes them wash their hands after letting them play with dead animals.

Of course not. Germs are sparkly, like little pieces of glitter.

And considering how many people wear shoes in their house, tracking all the dog crap and road dirt and muck inside. (eeeeeeew!

When a human does not wear shoes they develop tough soles like hobbit feet. Especially if they go barefoot year around. I'm not condoning children being shoeless in stores, restaurants, etc. I firmly believe children need to learn "town manners" even if they run wild at home. Eventually children become adults and need to fit somewhere in the world.

It is really sad to see adults in their 50's who have no skills, cannot learn, and who cannot fit in or take care of themselves. We had a housemate like that last year and it was a really sad thing to see.

Just my two cents. :)

When a human does not wear shoes they develop tough soles like hobbit feet. Especially if they go barefoot year around. I'm not condoning children being shoeless in stores, restaurants, etc. I firmly believe children need to learn "town manners" even if they run wild at home. Eventually children become adults and need to fit somewhere in the world.

I agree. I think Lauren either wants to hobble her children so that they will never fit into mainstream society, or she imagines that her 4 girls will somehow be able to change mainstream society by going shoeless and with butchered hair and no education.

Exactly. And animal feces isn't all. Those people go everywhere and those poor girls could step on glass on any matter of garbage people throw on the ground. Not to mention when she takes them to the bathroom. The thought of those kids standing barefoot on a public restroom floor is about enough to make me gag.

What about broken glass and other sharp objects? The sidewalks in parts of the city I live in are covered with spit, loogies, and discarded gum. Don't forget about the bird crap all over the sidewalks and the occasional dog and cat turds. Then there are the piles of vomit from the drunks and vagrants.

For the people who asked - you sometimes see people going barefoot on beachfront streets in Australia, but more often they are wearing thongs (flip flops). The streets get very hot, not comfortable for bare feet. The road surfaces even melt on the hottest days. Aside from that, it's pretty unusual to see anyone barefoot in an urban environment.

Australian kids do, however, often play in the bush or their backyards barefoot. I know people have a perception of Australia as full of venomous snakes and spiders, but although they do exist, its generally pretty safe to go barefoot in cleared areas if you are aware and take basic precautions.

The picture of Calista sitting with her bare dusty dirty feet in the magnet bowl - words fail me. O Sparkling One, pick up your daughter for heaven's sake instead of holding the camera. Others don't need to be gifted whatever your daughters' feet picked up on the street.

Hmm, when I was around the younger girls' age I had a somewhat similar haircut, though it was cut by my mother so it didn't look choppy. I didn't particularly want long hair/to wear it up, so she cut it for me. Simple as that. I kind of agree with the attitude that if your child expresses a clear wish regarding personal appearance that isn't damaging you should probably try to accomodate it. Wanting a child to have long hair when they are capable of saying they don't like it does to me seem controlling. In my opinion she should be giving those girls the haircuts they want so they don't look like they did a chop job themselves in the bathroom. If they want long hair but need help dealing with it, do your best to help them brush it and put it up. If one of them is so adamant about not liking hair in her face that she chops it off regularly it sounds like a sensory issue to me, not just harmless play. It must be very uncomfortable for her if that's the case.

For the people who asked - you sometimes see people going barefoot on beachfront streets in Australia, but more often they are wearing thongs (flip flops). The streets get very hot, not comfortable for bare feet. The road surfaces even melt on the hottest days. Aside from that, it's pretty unusual to see anyone barefoot in an urban environment.

Australian kids do, however, often play in the bush or their backyards barefoot. I know people have a perception of Australia as full of venomous snakes and spiders, but although they do exist, its generally pretty safe to go barefoot in cleared areas if you are aware and take basic precautions.

That's very much like how things are here in the US.

What about broken glass and other sharp objects? The sidewalks in parts of the city I live in are covered with spit, loogies, and discarded gum. Don't forget about the bird crap all over the sidewalks and the occasional dog and cat turds. Then there are the piles of vomit from the drunks and vagrants.

I generally don't plant my foot directly on top of broken glass or other sharp objects no matter WHAT sort of footwear I may or may not be wearing. I spent three days limping in high school because a thorn went right through the sole of my shoe and into my foot (from one of those thorny trees we get around here, the thorn itself must've been a good foot long). I would never have expected that, indeed, hadn't expected that, and I promise you I would've been much more cautious about stepping on a stick in my path if I'd been barefoot! Probably would've just gone around.

Of course, I do this funny thing where I pay attention and I look where I'm going as I walk, and if I see something in my way I don't step on it. I look where I walk if I happen to be barefoot, and I look where I walk if I'm wearing shoes. It seems a lot of people don't do that, as I frequently have heard people talking about "all the glass" in my neighborhood when a quick glance around would show them that there IS no glass on our sidewalks here, people sweep. But for some reason, when this is pointed out to them, the answer is always "well, there could be", as though that changes the fact that there isn't. I just don't get it.

If we did have copious amounts of glass and shit and all on the ground, I wouldn't ever go barefoot around my block when gardening or taking out the trash or whatnot, in the same way that I put on rubber gloves if I have to clean the toilet. My clothing choices aren't all or nothing, after all.

In the long run, I'm more concerned about the disease I get from breathing air people have coughed in and touching surfaces with my hands that they may have touched after using the toilet but not washing adequately. My hands often go near my mouth, after all, but my feet hardly ever do.

Others don't need to be gifted whatever your daughters' feet picked up on the street.

I fail to see how there is a difference between being "gifted" what comes from bare feet and what comes from shod feet that have traveled the same path. Or do you mean to say that nobody should wear outside shoes inside...?

The streets get very hot, not comfortable for bare feet.

Sure, there are plenty of great reasons to wear shoes some, much, or all of the time, starting with personal choice and moving from there. But "oh, it is never safe to take them off and feet are so gross" is not actually one of them. Or if it is, then we have to acknowledge that the same exact argument must be used to require the wearing of protective gloves in all environments as well. Your hands are not immune to being cut with things (I nick myself each and every time I cook, though I acknowledge I'm klutzy), touching yuckies that are invisible to the naked eye, being burned on hot surfaces, spreading disease of various sorts, looking funny, and so on.

I think she is referring to the picture where one of the girls has her feet in a bowl/table set up for playing with magnets. I'm sure the next person who comes along will not be thinking someone had their dirty feet on the table and in the bowl. She shouldn't be putting her feet in there with or with out shoes.

That is exactly what I meant. It's like not wiping down gym equipment when you're done with it. Will the next person catch a deadly disease when they use the treadmill after you do? probably not. Does it say something about your regard for your fellow gym-goers? you bet.

Conuly, I understand your argument: in a public space, when you don't take your shoes off at the door, what is really the difference between stepping inside wearing street shoes or in bare feet? Still, it somehow feels wrong.

Cultures, of course, vary wildly in their approach. In Israel there's a great divide between people who say it's rude to come into someone's home and leave your shoes on, and those who say it's the epitome of rudeness to expect your guests to keep their shoes on, just in case they're uncomfortable showing their socks/feet. I adopted the Canadian stance: shoes off at the door.

Archived