• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
SpeakNow

TTH: Contraception emasculates men

SpeakNow

"Men in this day and age are rarely encouraged to procreate freely; they are asked to step up to the plate a couple of times and then are sort of put out to pasture, for lack of a better term. Their role as father is never fully realized (nor is that of the mother but that is another discussion) – it is always held in check, restrained and controlled and eventually severed, whether surgically or otherwise. Have women been emboldened, and deep inside do they look down upon men, who allow this manipulation of their progeny? And have men in turn been weakened – and have they become intimidated by the huge but beautiful responsibility of providing for a family – due to the false sense of control contraception gives, and with it the temptation to avoid heavy family and financial burdens?"

"The overplanning that contraception allows has led to the view of children as the special creation of the parents alone, pre-planned as they are, with births timed as goals achieved amidst other life goals of career advancement, home-buying and trips taken; these children are born with one or two other siblings and then the line of their would-be siblings is cut short. From this total control of reproduction comes an inflated sense on the part of the parents of their role as the sole creators of life.â€

brashchick

She is certifiably insane. A man's worth is apparently

determined by how many ova he can fertilize. Never mind what kind of life.he can provide for his children,or what he and his wife want or need for a fulfilled life. She must lead a very limited life. I guess I should feel sorry for her but she is hateful.

hapamama

The don't mention the stress of providing for the children men father... not just the self imposed stress, but the stress that society puts on them. When you want to live above poverty level, children are EXPENSIVE.

My husband got a vasectomy. It was his choice and I fully supported that decision. We have 5 children together and he has no need to further prove his manhood.

chaotic life

I admit it, I frequently joke that I had DH's balls disconnected. Perhaps if he hadn't been SO effective at that fertilizing thing that we blew through TWO forms of contraception and he procreated five living children (and three pre-children, which I know the fundies count as full inheritors of progency there), to the point that the pregnancies damn well nearly killed me.....well, he could have kept his nuts connected the way biology had them start.

That said, HE didn't exactly want to worry about another blown contraception method meaning he had to step up and be more than the father to these children, but the MOTHER as well. HE was not okay with more pregnancies after he watched me bleed out on an operating table at the end of the pregnancy which made a mockery of an IUD. HE is an active and involved father (going polar bear camping in a NE winter with one of the Boy Scouts this weekend in fact) and wanted to remain an involved FATHER, not a piss poor excuse for a mother.

Something about watching his wife bleed, nearly lose her uterus and then having to help her hold the baby while she got THREE units of blood to restore what nearly killed her.....made him quite happy to volunteer for that snip job.

Eh, we later burned out my inards anyway so it's not like reconnecting them would help now (at least we hope so cause there had better NEVER be more coming out of this body).

This is the insanity that irritates me about these QF morons. Exactly how many kids MUST you shoot out and call your inheritance before you are allowed to say enough is ENOUGH. Their die-hard standards and myopic nonsense condemns myself and DH as surely as someone who remains fully childless. They NEVER accept that maybe other people opted to use their BRAINS and make logical decisions about childbearing and maybe some people are just smart enough to realize they don't want kids and would make lousy parents! They certainly don't want to acknowledge that birth control reduces abortions AND since unplanned pregnancies are not only a high risk factor for abortion but for child abuse as well, perhaps children planned for and wanted are less likely to SUFFER in general than the whole clown car mentality. BUT, by their standards that you MUST have a whole quiverful....my quiverful is damn well fuller than most of THEIR quivers and yet I am ammoral and sinful because I control it and won't agree to have anymore biologically (and am not too keen on anymore via adoption at this point either, tyvm....eight living and one dead seems to be a good stopping point for ME....though I count the 10 year old who died as the one died not the three miscarriages that darn well do NOT count the same as my dead 10 year old, oh sinful horrible me!).

There has to be a point where you are allowed to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and these people don't permit that point. They don't allow that line in the sand. And, I've bloody well WATCHED some of these QF fundies badger mothers who really and trully were at their limits and needed permission to just stop that they are horrible mothers for even considering it....because God would *never* give them more than they could handle...except he does and their definition of "handle" just sinks deeper and deeper into the physical and emotional neglect level and sometimes into the abuse point because these moms are SOO overwhelmed by the children they are "required" to pop out and the need to HONOR men by popping them out.

If anything, stopping and using birth control allows a man to stand TALL. Since men often get caught up in their career and their ability to provide for their families as integral to their self worth, especially in these fundie families where the men are the ONLY one providing for their families, a family you can actually manage to feed, clothe and provide the emotional needs for is far more rewarding to a man's self worth than trying his wife's hoohah into a clown car to prove every sperm is sacred.

desertvixen

chaotic life: Amen to everything you just said.

"Men in this day and age are rarely encouraged to procreate freely; they are asked to step up to the plate a couple of times and then are sort of put out to pasture, for lack of a better term.

I love how these people act as if this would just happen in a vacuum. We don't need men to spread their sperm to prove they're men; we need men to prove they're men by acting like responsible grown adults. Or maybe that's just me.

Bookworm89
"Men in this day and age are rarely encouraged to procreate freely; they are asked to step up to the plate a couple of times and then are sort of put out to pasture, for lack of a better term.

If they had to carry said offspring in their womb for 9 months and give birth and all that jazz they wouldn't be whining about not being encouraged to procreate they would be signing up for the birth control.

Minerva

I asked Mr. Minerva if my using birth control emasculates him. He laughed.

Any dude who thinks his manliness depends on fertilizing as many eggs as possible needs to sort out his priorities. I think stereotypical masculinity is enforced in ridiculous ways, but I'm pretty sure even bros who drive big cars, buy big guns, judge other men by their ability to grow facial hair and live for sports don't feel particularly driven to make as many babies as they physically can.

Enraged
ADoyle90815

I love how these people act as if this would just happen in a vacuum. We don't need men to spread their sperm to prove they're men; we need men to prove they're men by acting like responsible grown adults. Or maybe that's just me.

It's not just you, I feel the same way.

lilith

It's not like we only allow them to fuck us those two or three times we want to get pregnant.

They get to have sex, as is their biological imperative, but we don't have to commit to a baby every time we want to get it on.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

It's not like anyone is saying that we should eat large quantities of high calorie foods whenever they become available, because that is what our biology encourages us to do because in the past it was one of the most reliable ways to survive long enough to pass on our DNA. Our genetic makeup hasn't caught up with the rapid changes in human lifestyles over the past thousand years, and there is nothing wrong (or emasculating) about using our brains and overruling biological urges that aren't in our (or our children's) best interests.

2xx1xy1JD

I've had experience talking to clients with schizophrenia, where they will tell you stuff that is completely absurd with a straight face and actually expect you to agree that they are totally rational.

Reading TTH feels like that.

Really, when have men ever been encouraged to procreate freely? Yes, there are guys that go from woman to woman without a whole lot of thought about birth control, but society doesn't have a great view of them. Unless you are a wealthy polygamist, there are going to be some societal restraints. Limiting sex to marriage and limiting marriage to one woman are also forms of restraint.

Note also the ass-backward reasoning used: The reasons for contraception being bad don't seem to have anything to do with the well-being of actual children. It's all about feelings of manliness, the need for men and women to feel that they are NOT in control, and the horrible selfishness of those who want to know that they can support their children.

dawbs

"Their role as father is never fully realized..."

Know what allows Mr. Dawbs to realize his role as a father?

Spending time, being a father to his child.

But apparently being a sperm dispenser is the better way to realize that role

tanksmom
"Men in this day and age are rarely encouraged to procreate freely; they are asked to step up to the plate a couple of times and then are sort of put out to pasture, for lack of a better term. Their role as father is never fully realized (nor is that of the mother but that is another discussion) – it is always held in check, restrained and controlled and eventually severed, whether surgically or otherwise. Have women been emboldened, and deep inside do they look down upon men, who allow this manipulation of their progeny? And have men in turn been weakened – and have they become intimidated by the huge but beautiful responsibility of providing for a family – due to the false sense of control contraception gives, and with it the temptation to avoid heavy family and financial burdens?"

TTH, just to make sure that I'm following your line of thinking between this and your other opinion pieces.

If you're a white, christian male- birth control is evil and makes you less of a man. You should happily consider it your responsibility to knock up your spouse as often as possible because it's god's way.

If you're married to said white, christian male- you should be obligated to allow no say over your body. You should smile & keep sweet no matter the circumstances in your life. Pregnancy almost killed you, god's will. Can't afford the kids you have, god will provide. Losing your mind, pray more. Can't have the menz feelings hurt.

However, if you are in any way not a white, christian male or married to such- never have children because your children will be a drain on society. They will grow up to cause the downfall of this nation and you are what is wrong with this world.

Good to know :roll:

SPHASH

What does TTH stand for?

Roycroft

What would be the female counterpart of 'emasculate'? 'Efeminate'? I'm not sure that works.:lol:

Contraception empowers women by allowing them to be people instead of involuntary incubators, and that's what these morons can't stand. If they didn't need women as vessels for their holy DNA, I don't think they'd want them around at all.

NjoyingNsanity
What would be the female counterpart of 'emasculate'? 'Efeminate'? I'm not sure that works.:lol:

Contraception empowers women by allowing them to be people instead of involuntary incubators, and that's what these morons can't stand. If they didn't need women as vessels for their holy DNA, I don't think they'd want them around at all.

No they'd still need us to do all the cooking and cleaning.

slickcat79

Most men who feel the need to prove their masculinity through procreation rarely feel the need to do it with one woman. And why should they? If they are slaves to biological imperatives, it makes much more sense to impregnate as many women as possible. Then they could theoretically have multiple children a day rather than wait 9+ months between them.

It seems like the more freedom that men are allowed to procreate without restraint, the less responsibility they take for their offspring. And under this system the baby incubators are offered no guarantee of any protection or support at all, but I can't imagine any reason why the Lousewife would care about that.

Aggravated
keen23

Contraception has been around probably as long as people have been around. Hell, the story of Onan spilling his seed is all about the withdrawal method of birth control. The ancient Greeks were aware of plants that had contraceptive properties, and even Hippocrates wrote about them. For thousands of years, women have been using plants and other substances to cover their cervix in order to prevent conception. It's ridiculous to suggest that impeding contraception is a "new" concept. It's conceit to believe that only this "modern" generation wants to "pre-plan" their children.

pixydust

So men are feral dogs who need to run around humping everything that they see to produce litters? I think that is insulting to men. My husband doesn't need to attempt to impregnate me every month in order to have self esteem, that comes from his job, our relationship, his role as a father, and as a friend. Oh, and TTH? We have great sexy time with me on the pill (and he is planning on getting snipped as soon as some health stuff gets worked out).

ILoveJellybeans

Having babies doesnt make you a man, any more than it makes you a woman.

Human worth isnt in having as many children as possible, parenthood is not a competition.

Birth control is great, I think people make better parents when they can choose how many children they want to have, whether that is only one, or 15 of them. Having more than you can pay attention to and provide for is selfish, it puts the kids at a disadvantage. Its way more selfless to decide "Nope, not going to have a kid, Im unable to look after one right now" or "I cant afford to have any more children, this one will be my last, its unfair on the ones I have to keep having them when I dont have enough money to provide for more"

infooverload

What a load of crap, but then again her pieces are consistent in there utter craptastic qualities. Blanket statements and not allowing men to have their own automony, if you think about it even goes against her own previous teachings. After all men control their wives bodies and their own. So if they are controlling their own bodies aren't they full filling their headship role.

Stickers

Contraception emasculates men, taking care children emasculates men. Men are so sensitive in TTH's world.