IGNORED

The Arndt Lego Adventure continues

0 kids n not countin

While I agree he has first amendment rights I also think he is taking advantage of people who cannot simply walk away or say anything in opposition. It feels wrong, as if he is violating some sort of patient/doctor boundary. My Primary doctor is a very devout Jew. His name, and his yarmulke make that clear. And since its a small community I know he attends a very Orthodox synagogue. The only mention he's ever made to me about his religion is that he has another doctor answer ER calls for him on Saturdays. That's how it should be. Strictly medical and professional. I don't see there being much difference between him selling his religion and trying to solicit the patient for a date/sex.... They are both equally inappropriate.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anybody watched the Safe at Home series the Arndt's put out. I can't watch them on my iPad but I have a feeling they are very telling. Did any of them go to college? How do they support themselves and their mini media empire? Fascinating.

I got sucked into their videos not too long ago and watched a lot of them. I can't help but like this family, even though I know I shouldn't! In their videos they seem so very friendly and funny and hard working. I can't help but think I would like them if they were my neighbors (as long as they kept their religious views to themselves). That said, I know that it is VERY STRANGE that none of their children have really grown up and started lives of their own. Very strange, indeed. But... they all seem happy in their little child-proof bubble!

As for college, I do not believe any of the kids went to college. They are SOTDRT trained. They are all very articulate and well-versed in many subjects. Their videos can sometimes be entertaining and aren't completely awful. The shame is, I think these "boys" have some real talent and if they had been allowed to enhance their education they might have been successful in the real entertainment industry doing local news, documentaries, etc. The one boy (Mark? The one who is bald...) can be a real ham and seems to have great timing and a good camera presence. I could see him being a sports caster on a local affiliate station. He and a few of the other boys also do wedding photography and they seem to have talent there, too. With their outgoing personalities I imagine they get some good candid, natural shots of the bridal party and guests.

Sometimes I wonder if it is all a front and if the older boys really have lives of their own and just "pretend" to be man-children for their You Tube videos. I know that is wishful thinking, but it is the only theory that makes any sense in my mind.

I don't think free speech applies in a professional relationship such as the dentist. It is just as inappropriate if my family doctor began talking about his church. The patient has the absolute right to say I prefer not to discuss religion/church, etc. If he continues, I'd report him to the state dental ethics board. It may not be an exact ethics violation, but it's definitely inappropriate.

The Arndts fascinate me in a morbid sort of way. It's kind of like the Duggars. Twelve or thirteen kids wasn't totally strange. But 19 kids with many being adults with only one married and no one doing anything "real" with their lives is tragic. When I first saw the Arndts the boys were young enough that it wasn't so odd that none had left home. Now that they're older, it seems extremely peculiar.

While I agree he has first amendment rights I also think he is taking advantage of people who cannot simply walk away or say anything in opposition. It feels wrong, as if he is violating some sort of patient/doctor boundary. My Primary doctor is a very devout Jew. His name, and his yarmulke make that clear. And since its a small community I know he attends a very Orthodox synagogue. The only mention he's ever made to me about his religion is that he has another doctor answer ER calls for him on Saturdays. That's how it should be. Strictly medical and professional. I don't see there being much difference between him selling his religion and trying to solicit the patient for a date/sex.... They are both equally inappropriate.

While I agree it's not professionally appropriate for a doctor or dentist to push - or really even discuss - his religious beliefs with patients, I don't agree it's the same as trying to solicit a patient for sex. I think one is far more likely to lead to loss of license than the other, at least in the US where religion itself is revered as a God. (Islam excluded, of course.) And where do we draw between chatting and proselytizing and who gets to draw it?

As an atheist since childhood, I'm frankly sick to death of anyone trying to convince to believe in their god. Over the course of my life I've had Catholics, Jews, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Muslims, Mormons and members of pretty much every Protestant denomination in their own ways try to "save" me. It's their right. Just as it's my right to say, "I think you are all fucking nuts". And if a dentist, fundie or not, tried to preach to me while I couldn't say that to him, I'd make sure I let him know that once I could. Politely, of course. :)

:o Holy crap!!! :shock:

I remember getting a new toothbrush at my dentist...When I was 6 yrs old!!

I think the toothbrush thing may have been a joke, though. For all that they are sheltered and manboyish, they do interact with adults in baseball and the working world. I don't think a moment of sarcasm or teasing is beyond the Arndt boys.

I am not sure about the dental board, but what that dentist did would be an ethics violation if he was a doctor. Doctors (and medical students) are not allowed to use their position to promote a personal cause (including a religion), because as other posters have expanded upon, it is an abuse of power in an unbalanced relationship.

I don't have time to look for the specific mention of this now but I specifically remember it being brought up in my ethics class and readings. It doesn't preclude you joining whatever religion you want, or even talking about religion or politics with your patients, just using/abusing your position to promote an agenda, especially if it interferes with quality care (2 hours? How much of that was actually spent on the dental visit and how much was spent proselytizing?) or if the patient or family is in a vulnerable state.

And fwiw, I don't think it matters that you asked. He still should not have been proselytizing and should not have gone into detail stating that is not something he can discuss with his patients.

What? He was working alone with a female assistant? We all know what happens with dentists and their female assistants. That seems very unchristian.

A while back someone posted that they saw the Arndts at Wal Mart and I was so jealous. Well, this morning I went to a new dentist cause we moved and I could not shake my spidey sense that the picture of 6 kids on the wall triggered. Turns out that I had my own real life encounter that lasted 2 hrs(swear am not making that up-he loved to witness). When I asked him point blank was he a member of partiarchal legalism (while he was reading Titus 2 to me about purity and godly womanhood) he just looked at me kind of blankly. I had to use an example (Duggars) and then he denied it, but as the assistant was finishing my cleaning & polishing my teeth she was quietly whispering that I was right in my assumptions. I know this is off topic, but I don't know how to start a new thread and I was just busting to tell someone who would know what the hell I was talking about. Told my husband about it and told him not to get any fancy ideas when he goes the 23rd to get his teeth cleaned and talks to the dentist. He totally failed to understand my excitement so I decided to post here and tell my people :D ;)

I guess Arkansas isn't sooo boring now. :dance:

I got sucked into their videos not too long ago and watched a lot of them. I can't help but like this family, even though I know I shouldn't! In their videos they seem so very friendly and funny and hard working. I can't help but think I would like them if they were my neighbors (as long as they kept their religious views to themselves). That said, I know that it is VERY STRANGE that none of their children have really grown up and started lives of their own. Very strange, indeed. But... they all seem happy in their little child-proof bubble!

As for college, I do not believe any of the kids went to college. They are SOTDRT trained. They are all very articulate and well-versed in many subjects. Their videos can sometimes be entertaining and aren't completely awful. The shame is, I think these "boys" have some real talent and if they had been allowed to enhance their education they might have been successful in the real entertainment industry doing local news, documentaries, etc. The one boy (Mark? The one who is bald...) can be a real ham and seems to have great timing and a good camera presence. I could see him being a sports caster on a local affiliate station. He and a few of the other boys also do wedding photography and they seem to have talent there, too. With their outgoing personalities I imagine they get some good candid, natural shots of the bridal party and guests.

Sometimes I wonder if it is all a front and if the older boys really have lives of their own and just "pretend" to be man-children for their You Tube videos. I know that is wishful thinking, but it is the only theory that makes any sense in my mind.

I've watched little bits of some of the videos, but I can't stand too much at a time. These people grate on my nerves. In what sense do you find them hard-working? They seem BUSY to me, but busy in a non-productive way with their little projects, videos, games, etc. They don't seem like they do anything useful, really. And they seem like they have a lot of time on their hands . . . Lego projects, stuffed animal vignettes and what have you. They seem rather full of themselves. They video and blog every aspect of their lives and show it on TV/You Tube because they're just so unique and hordes of people are waiting with bated breath to see what the Arndts are up to now (sarcasm).

I've watched little bits of some of the videos, but I can't stand too much at a time. These people grate on my nerves. In what sense do you find them hard-working? They seem BUSY to me, but busy in a non-productive way with their little projects, videos, games, etc. They don't seem like they do anything useful, really. And they seem like they have a lot of time on their hands . . . Lego projects, stuffed animal vignettes and what have you. They seem rather full of themselves. They video and blog every aspect of their lives and show it on TV/You Tube because they're just so unique and hordes of people are waiting with bated breath to see what the Arndts are up to now (sarcasm).

I agree. While some of them clearly have marketable skills, they seem to spend most of their time playing games. It's probably because there isn't enough work to go around, but seeing that they're oh-so-special Christians, wouldn't Jesus prefer they be out in the world doing good works for those less fortunate instead of spending their days building Lego forts and pretending to be sportscasters? They seem to believe the play-time videos and those with Daddy’s ridiculous analogies and metaphors (“This leaf reminds me of Jesus because it has veins. And Jesus shed blood from his veins for us.†Okay, so I made that one up, but it’s not too far off the mark) are all they need to enter the Kingdom.

You can buy Rick Arndt's life story for just $225. It comes in a 32 volume set of CDs. Each volume 45 mins. so that's 24 hours of Rick Arndt telling you his whole bullshit life story. You can buy a hard cover autobiography from him for just $30 too... and autographed too! :dance:

The "manboys" are nice enough in a weird, awkward way, but the dad is an egomaniac.

http://www.famteam.com/resources/cwd/index.php

They say "suggested donation" but then you can't change the "donation" amount. I'd be glad to donate 1 cent to hear a volume but no way am I giving that nutjob 5 bucks to listen to his mp3 of idiocy.

He is the only dentist around(we are all apparently a captive audience in this blip on the map). We live in the mountains and the closest other dentist I could find is about an hour away across the mountain. Heights give me vertigo and I can't drive here. Poor hubby has to drive me to get haircuts and nail fill-ins an hour and a half away. Will be so glad to get back to Atlanta next year. The whole conversation got started cause he asked me where we moved from and then we talked about his and his wife's work at an inner :pray: city mission and what they did there. Then it just shifted and I was being read the Bible and actually having my mind blown. Like I said he wasn't a jerk and I really need some dental work that can't wait. I did feel a little uncomfortable with the looks I got from a few patients in the waiting room. We had some freaky snow here yesterday that started sometime during my appt that nobody knew was coming and the roads were super bad and those poor people hopefully didn't hate me when their cars were gliding on the streets. I know I cussed a blue streak trying to pick up my kids at their school after I left.

eta: got my own shiny new toothbrush too! :lol:

Yall think I should wear tight jeans, makeup, and thigh high leather at my next appt?

In what sense do you find them hard-working? They seem BUSY to me, but busy in a non-productive way with their little projects, videos, games, etc. They don't seem like they do anything useful, really. And they seem like they have a lot of time on their hands . . .

I didn't say they were hard working at useful things... just hard working in general. :) I know in one "episode" they were fixing up their house for a big picnic, cleaning up the yard around the big lake, painting the deck, etc. That took a lot of work and they all seemed to pitch in and do their part. In another episode, the older "boys" put together a scavenger hunt for the younger kids and it was quit in-depth... would have taken me days to plan that out and the older boys even followed along with the kids the whole time, rather than just retreating into the house until the game finally ended. Again, maybe not overly useful by some standards but they do seem to put all their effort into their tasks. This ability to work hard and follow-through with tasks would serve them well if they were ever out in the real world, and I think they would make good spouses and parents if they were ever allowed to have a home and family of their own. ... But of course, it isn't looking promising that this will ever happen with this group!

It's almost like a camp situation, where there are about 1.1 adult counselors for every child under age 13 or so.

Do you know that the Arndt laundry room sports not one but four front-loading machines? I'm unclear as to whether it's 2 washers & 2 dryers or 4 of one. A still photo somewhere on the site shows Cleavage Cathy doing some laundry while one of the younger boys talks with her. There are four red machines on one side of the wall. I"m guessing that court reporting and the occasional photography session pay much better than one might think.

It's almost like a camp situation, where there are about 1.1 adult counselors for every child under age 13 or so.

Do you know that the Arndt laundry room sports not one but four front-loading machines? I'm unclear as to whether it's 2 washers & 2 dryers or 4 of one. A still photo somewhere on the site shows Cleavage Cathy doing some laundry while one of the younger boys talks with her. There are four red machines on one side of the wall. I"m guessing that court reporting and the occasional photography session pay much better than one might think.

I've often wondered about their money situation... I know Cathy inherited her share of her dad's business when he passed. It's called PTL manufacturing in Belleville and it's a multi-million dollar enterprise; so don't assume Rick earned EVERYTHING they have just because Cathy never held a job. Rick used to court report but over the last 2-3 years he has turned it over to the older boys.

The thing I wonder about is how much NRB network is paying them for their stupid show and how many idiots are paying them $10 a month to view their site's entire content.

Also, remember this, they are a 501 C-3 tax status, AKA "church" which means all of their "ministry B.S". income is tax free.

They are white. The rest of your point stands. ;)

famteam.com/today/images/full/20130112_121222.jpg

They are white. The rest of your point stands. ;)

famteam.com/today/images/full/20130112_121222.jpg

All washers in the shot, from what I can tell.

The bit about Cathy inheriting some $$ definitely explains how they are able to afford their lifestyle. It didn't add up to me otherwise.

The Duggars ought to take a lesson. it appears Mommy Arnt does at least some of the laundry, rather than bringing in a senior citizen relative to do it. :)

Yall think I should wear tight jeans, makeup, and thigh high leather at my next appt?

Yes!

and

The thing I wonder about is how much NRB network is paying them for their stupid show and how many idiots are paying them $10 a month to view their site's entire content.

:? Why? This reminds me of my super-duper brief, almost messianic days ( :oops: ) where the only "fellowship" I could find was online, but you had to pay a monthly site fee in order to hear or view the "teachings". I totes get that pastors, priests, or whatever are paid by tithes of the congregation, but at least members of the congregation have the option to pass the plate along if they can't or don't want to contribute.

I wonder what extra sheshul goodies they have to offer the duped who pay.

I wonder how the boy's hardworking grandfather would feel about his money being used to hobble his grandchildren. :(

I vote some of us Free Jinger singletons run in and perpetrate a reverse Seven Brides for Seven Brothers situation. They shouldn't be that hard to de-program, and could be molded into picture-perfect house husbands.

I've often wondered about their money situation... I know Cathy inherited her share of her dad's business when he passed. It's called PTL manufacturing in Belleville and it's a multi-million dollar enterprise; so don't assume Rick earned EVERYTHING they have just because Cathy never held a job. Rick used to court report but over the last 2-3 years he has turned it over to the older boys.

Also, remember this, they are a 501 C-3 tax status, AKA "church" which means all of their "ministry B.S". income is tax free.

What are your sources for PTL and the tax status?

PTL--that throws me for a loop. PTL was Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker's organization.

(Praise the Lord or People that Love, depending on the day)

probably coincidental, it still raised an eyebrow.

I didn't say they were hard working at useful things... just hard working in general. :) I know in one "episode" they were fixing up their house for a big picnic, cleaning up the yard around the big lake, painting the deck, etc. That took a lot of work and they all seemed to pitch in and do their part. In another episode, the older "boys" put together a scavenger hunt for the younger kids and it was quit in-depth... would have taken me days to plan that out and the older boys even followed along with the kids the whole time, rather than just retreating into the house until the game finally ended. Again, maybe not overly useful by some standards but they do seem to put all their effort into their tasks. This ability to work hard and follow-through with tasks would serve them well if they were ever out in the real world, and I think they would make good spouses and parents if they were ever allowed to have a home and family of their own. ... But of course, it isn't looking promising that this will ever happen with this group!

Gotcha. Like the Maxwells - working hard at their own little projects that seem oh-so-important to them but utterly useless to the world at large. With all those big strong Arndt man-boys, you'd think they could do some Habitat for Humanity work or do home repairs for senior citizens or something (in Jesus' name, of course). But then, they'd be out in the world, not SAFE AT HOME. :roll:

ETA: and oh, dear god - 32 VOLUMES! They should play Daddy Arndt's life for people in prison for heinous crimes. That would constitute torture, though, wouldn't it?

What are your sources for PTL and the tax status?

I'm from the same town as the Arndts and it's common knowledge about the business. According to the company website, some of her siblings still run it. It makes sense then that when the parents died that the business was passed down to the kids. I should have wrote "I assume" rather than "I know" Nevertheless, who believes that Rick supports 14 kids and builds a huge new home on acreage all by himself with court reporting and his rinky-dink little show? I don't. As for the 501 c-3 status; it's on famteam.com.

Archived