IGNORED

What's the new fundie 'thing' going to be?

Aisling

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here and overthinking this, but anyway.

When I first started lurking on FJ and stalking fundie blogs, it was back when the SAHD thing was (from what I gathered at least) having a moment. Return of the Daughters was out in, what, 2008/2009? The Botkin sisters were still fresh and ready for a nice early twenties courtship. It just seemed a lot more 'happening' if that makes sense.

I know it's been discussed plenty of times before, but obviously the SAHDs are drifiting into troubled waters with the fact so many of them are unmarried. It's not looking that attractive anymore.

So if the parents of the SAHDs were pretty much the first wave of quiverfull, and their 'thing' was ditching the condoms and having loads of babies, and if once their kids got older, staying at home and refusing to grow up is their 'thing'...which is now getting kind of old...

....what are the fundies going to do next? The way I see it they will have to think of another addition to their ideology in order to rejuvenate the hordes of kids who are going to grow up seeing older siblings miserable because they have no lives of their own and no relationship outside of the family.

So, what could they possibly do that is weirder and more reactionary than what they are up to already?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WELL...

Pick up a bible KJV obviously. Spin it in the air open, wherever it lands open, pick it up. With a blessed needle and eyes closed stab the bible page and whatever verse it lands on, read something deep and meaningful into said verse. Apply this to your family.

That's what they normally do right?

I think they are going to go more extreme and isolationist, and possibly start arranging marriages.

I often forget this, and it's scary, but the fundies we snark on are actually the more mainstream, presentable face of the movement. The truly extreme fundies don't let their wives blog or have an Internet presence, the less pretty, educated and middle class don't have a media presence or a business selling the lifestyle like the Maxwells, Duggars, Phillips, Bontragers etc. There is also a whole other group of fundies homesteading off the grid and living as survivalists, waiting for the end times.

So I see the fundies becoming more extreme and more isolationist if they see their hundred year multigenerational plans not doing so well in the next generation. They'll decide the problem is that they are still too worldly and retreat further.

Yeah, I can see arranged marriages as well, they cant let the movement die out by not allowing their kids to marry and have kids. The problem with that is that they have more children than they can take care of, and need SAHD's to manage all of the children.

If they time it right, by the time the middle daughters are marrying the older daughters will have growing families of their own and will be able to throw their mother's last few kids into the mix and care for them without many problems. They just need to make sure they start young.

I think they are going to go more extreme and isolationist, and possibly start arranging marriages.

I often forget this, and it's scary, but the fundies we snark on are actually the more mainstream, presentable face of the movement. The truly extreme fundies don't let their wives blog or have an Internet presence, the less pretty, educated and middle class don't have a media presence or a business selling the lifestyle like the Maxwells, Duggars, Phillips, Bontragers etc. There is also a whole other group of fundies homesteading off the grid and living as survivalists, waiting for the end times.

So I see the fundies becoming more extreme and more isolationist if they see their hundred year multigenerational plans not doing so well in the next generation. They'll decide the problem is that they are still too worldly and retreat further.

This is what i think....arranged marriages will become Godly, but they will have to have match makers to do it, because even the parents have a hard time meeting other families to marry the kids into.

This will probably lead into the Duggar girls singing a bastardized version of "Matchmaker" from "Fiddler on the Roof" at their performances/speaking engagements.

I've seen some blogs touting "betrothal"--which appears to be courting with even less contact between the boy and girl before the wedding. Some fundies going this route have a "betrothal ceremony" in which the boy and girl get legally married, then save the religious ceremony for the wedding day, which makes it even more difficult to break an engagement since it would require an actual divorce.

homeshalom.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-is-betrothal-how-does-it-compare.html

ecclesia.org/truth/betrothal.html

This is what i think....arranged marriages will become Godly, but they will have to have match makers to do it, because even the parents have a hard time meeting other families to marry the kids into.

This will probably lead into the Duggar girls singing a bastardized version of "Matchmaker" from "Fiddler on the Roof" at their performances/speaking engagements.

Maybe they'll start having "coming out" presentations for the daughters like debutantes. After all, it's an old-timey thing and we all know how much better things were "before." Of course there won't be balls and drinking, but maybe some sort of big party where three or four families at a time will work together in order to present their daughters of marrying age. Everyone's calendars would fill up and everyone would be very, very busy during the season.

They already do that. The Morton's BYE ball has a heavy meat market component. And then there's the endless conferences-how many sermons do kids want to hear (or adults for that matter)? It's all about social networking & match making between adult children.

I've been thinking about this too. Just yesterday I posted this in another thread:

"I wonder if some of these fundie families will start feeling convicted of the LORD once they realize the extreme sheltering of their children means they, personally, are responsible for limiting the re-population of fundamentalists?"

I find it very disingenuous that some of the fundies felt like they needed to have large families to control as a way to accept God's blessings but they don't allow their own children the same chances for these blessings. The first generations got married young, had children often, preached their way of life, and now will not let their own children go to do the same. I mean, right now Michelle Duggar has FOUR daughters that are older than she was when she married Jim-Bob. Four!

I think some of the heavy hitting fundies parents actually have disordered thinking, control issues, and god complexes. I don't think that they will ever let the children go (Maxwell daughters and Arndt sons are staying single forever because daddy and mommy are fucked up, respectively.) I honestly think the rest of them may eventually feel some conviction of God and, as a result, loosen the rules for dating. At some point it's got to be a bigger sin for individuals (controlling parents) to keep babies (precious flowers, of which we cannot have too many) from being born than it is for consenting adults to actually kiss and cuddle before marriage.

Next trend: more relaxed dating.

I hope.

I think (hope?) within the next few years we are going to start seeing bestselling 'my horrendous childhood' books from those who manage to escape. Particularly from kids from families where the Pearls' words are law. Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I just hope the fundie world is exposed by someone on the inside.

If they allow BGLT marriage in America, it'll probably be putting ads on the net to bring back "traditional marriage" whatever the hell that means, lolz. :D

I'm just thinking along the lines if America becomes more secular, what will they try and do to stop it. Is it OT? Europeans, do you have fundie movements like the Quiverfulls, survivalists, and such likes in Europe? Or is it just an American thing? * forgive me for being an ignorant American :oops: *

I could see arranged marriages (betrothals) being a thing since they are struggling to get the courtship model to work out. Families seem to be too interested in maintaining the status quo and/or they live too far away from each other to find easy partnerships.

Pintrest seems to be very popular in the fundie circles. It's sad window into the desires of many of the SAHD and how much they don't match reality.

Maybe they'll move en masse to somewhere they can set up their own patriarchal utopia. That way they can take over the government of that locale and make their own laws and not have to be defrauded by pants-wearing females every time they go to the grocery store. I also think matchmaking will occur on a wider scale. And when a guy feels the Lord has led him to a particular girl, and her father agrees, marriages will happen immediately so she doesn't have time to come to her senses. After all, if the Lord says this is the one for you, who are you to disagree, and why do you need an engagement period? Immediate obedience = immediate marriage. I think they'll start really pushing for arranged loveless marriages among the 30-and-up hopeless crowd.

What I worry about with the courtship thing not working out so well is arranged marriages and with that Gothard deciding to take a page out of Warren Jeff's book, and preaching that parents should marry off their kids young. It is a fact that in Biblical times and throughout much of history girls married young. I can see them marrying off their girls at sixteen or younger, and the boys at 16 or 18 what better way to trap them in the Quiverful lifestyle than to marry them off super young, saddle them with a couple kids before they reach twenty, and make sure the young man who already has a wife and a gaggle of kids can't leave the lifestyle because he has no education, a family to support and daddy owns the business he works for. The girl can't leave because she married so young she was pushing out her second or third kid when she should have been getting a diploma. If you think about it lots of poor families around the world marry off their kids young to get them out of the house to cut household expenses and to make room for younger siblings this would work for the fundies the don't really give a shit if the wife is about to collapse from exhaustion or have a nervous breakdown trying to care for half a dozen babies and small kids. The Quiverful moms in desperation will keep at least one SAHD around well into her teens, and there will be daughters as young as eight or nine taking care of a "little buddy".

Followed by Lard Lad singing "If I was A Rich Man."

If I were a rich man,

Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.

All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.

If I were a wealthy man.

I wouldn't have to work hard.

Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.

If I were a biddy biddy rich,

Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.

. . . .

I see my wife, my Golde Anna, looking like a rich man's wife

With a proper double-chin.

Supervising meals to her heart's delight.

I see her putting on airs and strutting like a peacock.

Oy, what a happy mood she's in.

Screaming at the servants, day and night.

Nevermind. Aside from servants, they mostly live like that already.

Fiddler on the Roof--another movie the Duggars will never let their children see. The girls in the movie pick their own husbands while asking for their parents' blessing, not their permission.

I could see an emphasis on very young marriages. The FLDS started doing this to keep women in their cult. If they married them before they were old enough to want to run away, they would be trapped and having babies before they got independent. Once you have a family it's extremely hard to leave.

I think they are starting to introduce more things for their children to be afraid of. All the emphasis in Vision Forum on raw milk, making your own cheese, salsa and yoghurt, making "key lime pie" from avocado. It seems they are telling their followers that mainstream food is toxic. I don't recall them focusing as much on that previously.

If they allow BGLT marriage in America, it'll probably be putting ads on the net to bring back "traditional marriage" whatever the hell that means, lolz. :D

I*

Marriages is between one man, one woman and as many concubines as you can afford.

I think they are going to start pushing their grown up children more and more into politics and government. I've got a million reasons for this but not the time to list them atm. Think: Patrick Henry College. That used to be my dream school. Thankfully I never made it in (due, incidentally, to my mom deciding I needed to stay home from college to home school my younger siblings so she wouldn't have to quit her full-time job).

I think they are going to start pushing their grown up children more and more into politics and government. I've got a million reasons for this but not the time to list them atm. Think: Patrick Henry College. That used to be my dream school. Thankfully I never made it in (due, incidentally, to my mom deciding I needed to stay home from college to home school my younger siblings so she wouldn't have to quit her full-time job).

This I hope never ever happens I shudder at the thought of it as it'll overspill to other countries and then we are fucked.

Archived