IGNORED

Whiner lady's house and why I am happy!!

OkToBeTakei

I just bought a house this year... 2 bedroom townhouse with a finished basement for a little under $200k. Methinks whiner lady would not approve.

I'm not posting direct links because omgz internet stalkers!1 but suffice to say I am in the suburbs of Philadelphia, which is the cheapest of the major northeastern cities. There's not a lot of choices in the price range at the moment, but $350k will get you:

- 4 bed / 3 ba, 1500 sq ft split level with moderately dated interiors and an in-ground pool

- 3 bed / 2 ba 2400 sq ft townhouse with 1 car garage and pristine 80s kitchen

- 3 bed / 1.5 ba 2500 sq ft 50s ranch with original kitchen & baths and a partially finished walkout basement

To get a house similar to the ones she has pinned, you'd have to spend around a million. Maybe a little less if you are willing to forego the 3+ acres of land. Around here land parcels are generally either a standard sized suburban lot or enough land to run a small farm, with not much choice in between the two. Or condos/townhouses with virtually no land.

From what I understand, there is much more wood available in the US than there is in the UK or Europe so that's why houses here are mainly built from wood - the lower price and the ease of acquiring it. It's also a bit faster which (in my area) would have been important for colonial settlers - need to finish building the house before winter comes. Even most of the oldest houses are wood frame, though there are some that are stone or brick. I think a lot of newer houses in Florida and possibly other hurricane-prone areas have concrete exterior walls, though. And my townhouse has cement block between the units. It's mainly land availability & desirability that drives the price of real estate, though. Lots of empty land + not many people wanting to live on it = dirt cheap real estate, in the less densely settled areas of the US.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor whiner lady, cant join in with all the fundies misery/poverty competitions (Well I have 47 kids and we all live in a 3 bedroom house with them stacked on shelving up to the celing in every room, and I feed them one apple and a slice of bread a day, arent I godly?), so has to make do with whining about her large house.

And guns- if you want to live in Texas you'll need some guns...

No, it's cool. The gun comes with your liquor store purchase! ;)

rPMsfUEyPME

As for houses, this is the place I WANT FOR MY VERY OWN: http://www.trulia.com/property/30138585 ... h-PA-15212 The price is right, but the neighborhood can probably be described as up-and-coming. I'd be less concerned about the sketch factor and more concerned about resale...but then again I'm in no position to buy a house right now anyway...

Can someone explain the Costco shelving refrence? Lol! I know what the shelving is (or I believe I do) but I'm not figuring out the context :)

The Costco shelving reference is from a blog called In a Shoe, where the mom had 10 kids, but only one small bedroom for the kids, so made a really high bunk bed out of shelving, cut mattresses to fit on it cause its really thin, and put loads of kids on it.

Good, because I want it! Stained glass and that view!

That view comes at a price, it's not called Totterdown for nothing - Vale St is reputed to be the steepest residential street in the UK, http://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/185872507/,http://www.flickr.com/photos/mykg/2732843295/

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I've walked up it and can confirm it's bloody steep! (This is about half a mile from my house!).

Why hasn't there been an FJ Bristol meet up yet? Is it because traveling to a "foriegn" country is too scary for fundies or just to damn expensive for them? Our because you need Uriah humping to make a meet offical?

I don't know, she could find somewhere near me, there's some massive old country houses going for next to nothing...

If she comes to N.I though, she'll get her windys done in :D

:lol: I haven't heard that saying in years

Why hasn't there been an FJ Bristol meet up yet? Is it because traveling to a "foriegn" country is too scary for fundies or just to damn expensive for them? Our because you need Uriah humping to make a meet offical?

I've met Artemis!

The Costco shelving reference is from a blog called In a Shoe, where the mom had 10 kids, but only one small bedroom for the kids, so made a really high bunk bed out of shelving, cut mattresses to fit on it cause its really thin, and put loads of kids on it.

inashoe.com/2010/09/4-moms-open-house-linky-bedrooms-part-2/

Enjoy. They LOVE the beds, really. They are the same dimension as navy bunks, and check out the headroom! And for a mattress they get a 6 inch strip of memory foam on top of a metal rack.

That view comes at a price, it's not called Totterdown for nothing - Vale St is reputed to be the steepest residential street in the UK, http://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/185872507/,http://www.flickr.com/photos/mykg/2732843295/

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I've walked up it and can confirm it's bloody steep! (This is about half a mile from my house!).

OT, but in San Francisco there are streets so steep that there are stairs instead of sidewalks. Once my family took the wrong cable car back to our hotel, and had to walk up lombard street. It is crooked for a reason, and it's not even the steepest street in the city.

I've met Artemis!

That is so cool!

Having lived in both cities I think Bristol and San Francisco have a lot in common, especially the lack of properly flat spaces to put buildings, both have some scary roads. But I think San Francisco is tougher to walk, but Bristol is way tougher to drive because of the hills. I lived in the area for a little bit and really liked San Francisco, but never totally loved some of those hills. :D

I will answer :P

Here we would say 'windaes panned in'

It basically means having your windows broken. As in having somebody throw a brick through your window.

Some people just don't like you, the Celts tend to pan windaes :lol:

ETA If somebody is rude in your home the saying is..'Pick a windae...yer leaving' (Pick a window you are leaving..through it)

I will answer :P

Here we would say 'windaes panned in'

It basically means having your windows broken. As in having somebody throw a brick through your window.

Some people just don't like you, the Celts tend to pan windaes :lol:

ETA If somebody is rude in your home the saying is..'Pick a windae...yer leaving' (Pick a window you are leaving..through it)

Thanks. I googled "windys done in" but kept getting results for Wendy's dine-in restaurants, even when I said I spelled it correctly.

OK, I'm lost. About whom are we talking?

zachsgang.blogspot.co.uk/

Lindsay I think her pinterest link is there.

Archived