IGNORED

Whiner lady's house and why I am happy!!

OkToBeTakei

OH WAIT!

Dream over. I just realised most of my budget would go on health insurance huh? :(

And guns- if you want to live in Texas you'll need some guns...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OH WAIT!

Dream over. I just realised most of my budget would go on health insurance huh? :(

If you had to buy it individually, yes (unless you are in perfect health.) If it is part of an employee benefit package, no.

If you had to buy it individually, yes (unless you are in perfect health.) If it is part of an employee benefit package, no.

I get carried away looking at all the houses and forget to factor in the small details like you know, a job, a green card, the health thing, small details like that :lol:

Yes the gun thing, maybe not Texas.

OH WAIT!

Depends on your job. Some employers pay all for their employees, some pay most, some pay about half and others don't offer it. On your own, it would be quite a sum. Otherwise, no.

Texas is cheap. I get a little jealous at apartment prices there because I'm paying much more. But it's also a very socially conservative, hard-core Republican state. It'd probably a bit of a culture shock to someone from the UK. ;)

Edit: Health insurance already mentioned. My bad.

In NE Kansas (Maxwell country): $330,000 will get you a house with ten acres - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 9578-33641

$314,900 will get you four bed/four bath and a great kitchen in a Victorian home: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 0175-52038

Another Victorian with a pool for $259,900: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 5169-28335

Seeing as she's got quite a few kids..She could make like my great granny, who raised eight children in something similar to this. and it's only 29 grand!

http://www.propertypal.com/7-kitchener- ... ast/217832

Bloody hell, some of these houses, for example the ten acre Kansas one, make me weep a little inside. I would do quite a lot for ten acres of land for that sort of money...

Seeing as she's got quite a few kids..She could make like my great granny, who raised eight children in something similar to this. and it's only 29 grand!

http://www.propertypal.com/7-kitchener- ... ast/217832

Bloody hell, some of these houses, for example the ten acre Kansas one, make me weep a little inside. I would do quite a lot for ten acres of land for that sort of money...

That's $50k she could buy 5 in a row and make one big happy Texas home in Belfast :D The bricked up one next door looks available.

In my part of Canada... $350,000 would get her an amazingly huge fancy house with it's own built in butler. :-p

In my part of Canada (I just looked) it would get her 2 or 3 bedrooms in a livable, but not dream-worthy, apartment or small townhouse. But she'd have to put up with not a few hippies and stoners, so she probably wouldn't like it here very much!

That's $50k she could buy 5 in a row and make one big happy Texas home in Belfast :D The bricked up one next door looks available.

The bricked up ones I've seen up for about 10 grand before....she needs Jesus to lay it on her heart to come over and do some missioning at all the Belfast savages, who know not the love of the LORD. We grow fat on sin, and pastie baps.

Three rules of US real estate: location, location, location.

In Kansas you can get a lot of land and a lot of house, but you also get tornadoes and in most of the state not a lot of job opportunity.

In LA, there is job opportunity and the house prices are nothing like whiner's dreams.

Oh yes, tornadoes. Fair enough. I don't think I would relish tornadoes.

Isn't that why a lot of houses are wooden? So they can be built again quickly?

Good, because I want it! Stained glass and that view!

I want it too! I love cramped little spaces haha.

It's interesting to see the differences in US housing prices even just in my family. My mom's parents have a 4 bedroom house about an hour outside of Chicago. That is the closest they could get to the city, where my grandfather worked, and get a house for their budget vs. condo or apartment... which I think is pretty common for many big cities here. They have said the prices have gone way up and they would not be able to buy their house if they had to do it over (and weren't retired, etc.). My parents have pretty much the same-sized house but only 20 minutes outside of a smaller Midwestern city. My other grandparents live on Long Island and they have a little row house. Like my other grandparents, they are about an hour out from NYC and my grandfather worked in the city. (Both of my grandmothers worked too but more locally.) I think it has 4 bedrooms (counting the attic, which they converted into a bedroom) but it is tiny/cramped compared to the house I grew up in and the Chicago grandparents' house. And they had 5 kids! I love my NY grandparents' house because I like small spaces but I would have gone crazy with 7 people living there. I need time/space to myself.

Oh yes, tornadoes. Fair enough. I don't think I would relish tornadoes.

Isn't that why a lot of houses are wooden? So they can be built again quickly?

Wood is just the traditional building material in most of the U.S. That being said, wood-framed structures are seen to be a bit safer in tornado situations because you don't have thousands of individual bricks/stones/blocks being flung around in the air. In my opinion (which counts for nothing seeing as I have no expertise in the area), a very solidly built masonry house (where all the layers of masonry are joined together) could be much safer than a wooden structure. But, again, this is not something I know much about. Grain of salt and all that.

[it's taken me half (?) an hour to write this. I'm easily distracted.]

Oktakai but we do have Costco in the UK, it's right outside Bristol too.

I also agree California prices are very inline with Uk prices. Texas and other places tend to be cheap for a reason, I could never live in Texas myself.

Wood is just the traditional building material in most of the U.S. That being said, wood-framed structures are seen to be a bit safer in tornado situations because you don't have thousands of individual bricks/stones/blocks being flung around in the air. In my opinion (which counts for nothing seeing as I have no expertise in the area), a very solidly built masonry house (where all the layers of masonry are joined together) could be much safer than a wooden structure. But, again, this is not something I know much about. Grain of salt and all that.

I think an other part may be that a lot of construction especially what been posted is relatively new.

My parents went to college in DC in the 60's at that time where my husband grew up was nothing but farmland in the early 80's when his parents moved there it was still considered to be far out from the city. The town we live in now in the 80's had maybe a couple hundred people. I'd say 90% of the construction of the town we live in now was built in the last 15 years.

I also think it's cheaper and faster to build stick frame homes.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/Chanilly-VA_rb/

This is the town my husband grew up in

http://www.zillow.com/homes/jackson-nj_rb/

and where I grew up

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/property? ... ndType=C21

This is the nearest house to me in that price range. My little apartment is appraised at way more (though my lovely husband bought it for way less, 15 years ago). Real estate in Cambridge is super expensive because there's a captive audience of professors at the universities, scientists at the biotech firms, and doctors at the hospitals, so the prices never really softened after 2008.

There are so few timber frame houses here, I wonder if that is part of the price differences. My house is new but traditional build. That is concrete block, space, red brick then a render of stone. Red brick would last less than 10 years in the climate.

My parents are in a 1900's Sandstone house. Still same construction. 2 lots of masonry. We have a high salt content in the air, it eats buildings. All my doors windows are double glazed and hardwood. My interior is also traditional hardwood although the floors are pine. Having grown up in an old traditional property I have a love/hate relationship with my house. But I like not having to think about constant repair. Whiner could not afford my house but trust me it is fecking tiny. There again I can not afford the house I would like in my dreams, but I am grateful to have a lovely space to call home. I wonder how she would feel about my kid's 8ft by 9ft bedroom.

Wood's also better in earthquakes. But mainly it's cheaper. Roofs are the cheapest material, too.

Bad news, Mr. Womb and I live in a small rental condo that costs more than the rent we receive from our two considerably larger rental properties in another state (both of which we tried to sell at a loss, but could not.) And yet, I still manage to not complain about my horrible lot in life on a blog.

We pay $500 a month less than the owners of our place pay for the mortgage.

Not these days. We pay $600 a month, my husband's employer pays over $2000. (this is a very good job, very big employer). Just because it's included doesn't make it cheap.

Welcome to South Boston, bitchezzz:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 8036-13001

Note, this is about the size of my apartment, except there are three bedrooms and no living room; we just have sort of a sitting nook in the kitchen. Yep, I share a 700 sq ft apartment with two other girls and a moody cat.

Archived