IGNORED

Woman Goes Without Makeup For A Year (and it's news?)

keen23

I am totally disgusted by ABC right now. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2 ... -one-year/

So this woman Phoebe Hyde decides to go without makeup or beauty treatments for a year, and it's important enough to make the "news" and Katie Couric's show on Friday. She even wrote a book about her experiences.

Hell, if I had known there was a market for this thing, I could have written about my decade without make-up (though I confess, I do wear perfume, because it makes ME happy).

Seriously? I haven't worn make-up since the 80s. That should make me worthy of a Nobel Prize and a national holiday.

WTF?

Hyde also stopped shaving her legs during her makeup-less year.

:o

One of my friends only started shaving her legs to audition for roles in plays...

But this is seriously WTF.

Gee, I could've written a book about my... god only knows how long without makeup... maybe I'd even get my own TLC reality show! I could use the money to help pay for college.

Well. Clearly this woman's unwomanly behavior is why we have abortion and gun control. KILL HER!

I wear a tiny amount of makeup two or three times a year -- for choral concerts. I wear it so infrequently I often have to go out and buy more because what I have is too old to wear! That stuff is pricey, even the cheap stuff!

And I don't shave my legs in winter without a damn good reason, so mostly I don't. And that's a good half of the year. I do, however, wax my upper lip every few weeks or so. That's probably the girliest thing I do as far as hair removal goes.

Woopdeedoo. Can I possibly survive?

And I don't shave my legs in winter without a damn good reason, so mostly I don't. And that's a good half of the year. I do, however, wax my upper lip every few weeks or so. That's probably the girliest thing I do as far as hair removal goes.

Some guys are so disgusted with the idea of women participating in "No Shave November," which makes me want to reveal the big "No Shave Winter" thing many of us ladies have going on.

Some guys are so disgusted with the idea of women participating in "No Shave November," which makes me want to reveal the big "No Shave Winter" thing many of us ladies have going on.

Confession: i haven't shaved the pits since baby tchotchkes was born. Its a combination of me being lazy, and me not having the money for a decent razor. :lol: Oh well. Husband doesn't give a fuck, nor do I.

:o

One of my friends only started shaving her legs to audition for roles in plays...

But this is seriously WTF.

I don't shave things. Am I a super hero? I wear make-up maybe once a year. Where's my media coverage!?

I wear makeup for formal events, parties, religious services, nice dinners, and special outings. That's pretty much it. I am wearing blush today because I have my hair completely pulled back and needed to add a little color so I don't look dead, but on a typical day of working from home and errands? Nothing but Chapstick.

It might be "news" if my sister went makeup-free for a year, or even a week (she wears enough to rival Lyndsie). But many, many women rarely or never wear any, and that is our normal.

Confession: i haven't shaved the pits since baby tchotchkes was born. Its a combination of me being lazy, and me not having the money for a decent razor. :lol: Oh well. Husband doesn't give a fuck, nor do I.

I've never heard of "No Shave November." Seems kinda...dramatic, no? It's just that in winter nobody will be seeing my legs, so I don't bother with it. It's not like it's unhygienic to have body hair in general. I'm pale with dark hair and lots of it but whatever.

As for the pits, I've gone through stretches where I didn't, but I honestly feel better somehow with those done. Even though it does seem kind of silly as nobody will be seeing those in winter who isn't seeing my legs either. And if I had a baby I don't think shaving anything would be anywhere on my list of priorities. :)

Huh? how is this news? I know plenty of no-makeup people.

and as for the shaving, I shave the pits (for hygene) and the legs because I prefer the feel. But I've recently learned that the norm of not shaving the muff in the 90's is no longer the norm? All I can think is "ow, itchy" or, "what did the ultrasound techs think when I had the procedures to check my cysts."

Hope she at least washed whilst she was make upless.

Um, not wearing makeup doesn't really indicate lack of hygiene.

Men don't generally wear makeup, and they still wash. Now I'm not working I only wear makeup if I'm going somewhere, but I still wash my face.

I just don't see the connection.

I've never heard of "No Shave November." Seems kinda...dramatic, no? It's just that in winter nobody will be seeing my legs, so I don't bother with it.

Same here. I could understand it in the Southern Hemisphere where November is late spring/early summer, but it's not much of a statement when your legs are covered with winter clothes anyway.

I didn't wear makeup till I was in my mid-30s. It just wasn't a feminist or hippie thing. Neither was shaving. I do shave now, because as an old friend said "Freshly shaved legs feel so nice on freshly changes sheets".

I never wear make up. 1) I suck at applying it 2) my face is super sensitive and it itches or burns 3)I am lazy and 4) I am cheap.

As far was waxing? I have eyebrows that would put Bert to shame. Thick, dark and I usually have a unibrow thing going on. Every time I get my hair cut, they try to talk me into a waxing. I did it, once, and never again! That HURT! It was like ripping tree trunks out of my face. :shock: No thank you. I'll use a razor to make two when I think about it, but the rest stays!

I've always been a tomboy sort of girl. I'd rather buy a reliable tool that I can use to be selfsufficient than purchase makeup. I cannot remember the last time I wore it, perhaps my best friend's wedding that I was in? That was ten years ago, at least.

Add me to the list of people that can easily go a year without makeup. Or getting my hair cut/dyed.

I'd be hard pressed to give up my waxing and shaving, but that's just me.

Not News.

Add me to the list of people that can easily go a year without makeup. Or getting my hair cut/dyed.

I'd be hard pressed to give up my waxing and shaving, but that's just me.

Not News.

I had my hair which was very long cut above my shoulders a year and a half ago. My daughter was 20 then and she could not ever remember seeing my hair short.

ETA: Just started watching the movie Old Acquaintance on TCM. Bette Davis admits that she hasn't shaved and Gig Young ( I think) says he likes when women don't shave.

My skin wants me to be a hippie. I have one of those conditions that makes having smooth nice legs simply impossible. Depilatory creams worked for a while, even made my legs smooth and nice . . . and then I started getting massive itching breakouts. My face is so sensitive that I literally cannot wash it with anything. Even doctor prescribed hypoallergenic items give me a hot red rash. Plain water trickling over my face every day is all I can tolerate; needless to say, I wear no makeup, and I try not to even touch my face if at all possible. My neck and other parts of my body are becoming sensitive to ordinary soap as well. But is this news? Should I get a medal for being so brave?

Why is not wearing makeup transgressive?

I wear makeup because I'm really sensitive about my acne scars. There, I said it. If I'm leaving the house, which is often, I wear makeup. Even just going to class or to the grocery store. And my eyes look bruised without it.

But I have gone makeup less, in times when the scars weren't as visible. Usually in summer, when I get a bit of sun. I blame my mother and sister. No boyfriend I ever had ever cared about whether I shaved my legs, wore makeup, tweezed my eyebrows, as long as I was clean. The only thing that squicked them out was learning that I don't wash my hair every single day... Just seconds after they commented on how beautiful my hair was and how good it smelled and asked what I did to get such awesome hair (which is the one physical attribute I'm proud of :D). I've gone no-poo now, my hair is even better.

However, I don't tweeze my eyebrows or wax because that shit HURTS. Actually, tweezing is worse than waxing for me. I let them grow because that's the least painful option. So where's my book deal? Where's my morning talk show interviews?

I can't believe someone is getting so much attention for this.

I mainly wear make-up (when I wake up early enough, lol) so I don't look like a high schooler (I'm 22). Even then it's minimal. I see some girls with make caked on and it looks awful. I always want to tell them they'd be prettier with less make-up.

Archived