IGNORED

TWoP Howard Does It Again

Coconut Flan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read TWOP for years (since well before the acquisition by Bravo), but never posted there. I always get antsy about what kind of message their crazy posting rules might send to non-native English speakers or those with disabilities who are using adaptive technology to post, when some mods get so nitpicky about grammar or punctuation. Sure, you don't want all of the text-speak that's rampant on the Internet now ("ur" and "u" infuriate me) but at the same time you can be just absurd about it.

I also don't get why certain shows are recapped and have entire forums even when they're not as popular as other shows that have huge single-thread discussions. I've watched The Office from the beginning but there's no need for them to have a full forum anymore (it's virtually dead), while NCIS is one of the most popular prime dramas on any network and has been for several years but they still have only one thread.

I just looked at the 19kac twop thread and there is a poster there that I think might be someone who used to post on the IMBD boards for 19kac. On IMDB,there was a poster there who homeschooled her kids. I got the vibe that she was mainstream or evangelical Christian. She wasn't a huge Duggar leg humper, but she did have a hard time believing certain things that came out about the Duggars and Anna's family.

I also don't get why certain shows are recapped and have entire forums even when they're not as popular as other shows that have huge single-thread discussions. I've watched The Office from the beginning but there's no need for them to have a full forum anymore (it's virtually dead), while NCIS is one of the most popular prime dramas on any network and has been for several years but they still have only one thread.

They apparently seem to find NCIS "boring" or something along those lines. I notice they say it every year when it's time for the "Watch, Skip, DVR" (or whatever it's called). I don't get it either, especially since that thread could really use some subdivisions.

I've read TWOP for years (since well before the acquisition by Bravo), but never posted there. I always get antsy about what kind of message their crazy posting rules might send to non-native English speakers or those with disabilities who are using adaptive technology to post, when some mods get so nitpicky about grammar or punctuation. Sure, you don't want all of the text-speak that's rampant on the Internet now ("ur" and "u" infuriate me) but at the same time you can be just absurd about it.

QFT to the non-bolded. But also, that's the main reason I could not get into TWOP. It sounds like it used to be fun, but the single-thread discussions about multiple episodes and seasons were way too hard for me to follow. And all my favorite shows had only one thread.

They apparently seem to find NCIS "boring" or something along those lines. I notice they say it every year when it's time for the "Watch, Skip, DVR" (or whatever it's called). I don't get it either, especially since that thread could really use some subdivisions.

I always suspected there was some payment behind the scenes for certain shows to be recapped or promoted on TWoP.

The one thread on TWoP I have been reading and posting on for years is General Hospital (blush at the shallowness). The thread had gotten to about 12k pages without moderator drama. It has mostly been the same posters over the years. We had a few inside jokes, traditions, nicknames. Then Howard became mod. With lots of hand slapping, he made us stop what were were doing.

There was a character who was so widely hated,and when she finally was killed off, it was joked that if anyone mentioned her name she would come back. She got a nickname SWMNBM or she who must not be mentioned. Howard forbade that so now posters refer to her as Courtney, she who the mod wants her to be named. I wonder how long that post will be allowed to stand.

The GH thread was my first exposure to TWOP and I remember the brouhaha about SWWNBM! You brought back some funny memories. :lol:

I always suspected there was some payment behind the scenes for certain shows to be recapped or promoted on TWoP.

I would also strongly suspect that this is the case. Would explain why some awful shows keep getting recapped but some much better ones don't.

That's right sad about TWiT Howard messing up the GH thread when it had been such a fun place. He slapped me (but no formal warning) about saying "as most women get older, blonde hair becomes them and it makes sense that [some character] has gone blonde."

No generalizations! He even edits the posts and then leaves in his words as to why they're edited.

He's a real partypooper at RHONY, forbidding the use of couples' names like Ramonja. For what earthly purpose? It's a freakin' board for discussing TEE VEE SHOWS, for goodness' sake.

There is a definite FJ tie-in to him: His arrival on the scene of companionable, congenial snark discussions

is the equivalent of the arrival of dominionists/fundamentalists where rational, happy Christians are living their lives.

He brings gloom and unnecessary rules and punishments. Shutting down the 19kac thread for days on end! What?! They bring gloom and unnecessary rules and punishments.

The thing is, THEY turn people from the joyousness of the religion - and just like people don't join TWoP because they don't want to deal with Howard, people who might have considered Christianity in its true form don't investigate further.

Ugh. Howard and the Dominionists. If after I die I see him and Doug PHillips, I'll know .... :roll:

Incidentally, I think it's been determined that Howard indeed is male, some kind of minor academic IRL. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. :hand: Do not want.

I have PMed some posters in the Duggar thread there, saying if you like going off topic, check out FreeJinger.

Howard is female; we had a PM exchange one time after another poster moderated me in a thread years ago. TWoP was great before being sold to Bravo. I haven't posted there in a while.

Glark isn't around any longer.

Why doe TWOP let Power Howard be a bully?

Howard isn't the only bully on TWOP. Strega and Gadget have also been bullies. An FJer here mentioned an incident in another thread, in which Strega treated a poster horribly after the poster made a small mistake in a thread. Strega said that the poster was stupid or something in the thread and it was viewable to anyone. Gadget was bully on some of the Glee threads last year. There was one incident where he or she told posters on that thread to get a life.

Howard is female; we had a PM exchange one time after another poster moderated me in a thread years ago. TWoP was great before being sold to Bravo. I haven't posted there in a while.

Glark isn't around any longer.

I've always been confused because Howard said that (s)he had bridesmaid dresses but there's also evidence that points towards Howard being a male.

I think it's because The Office is on NBC (which is owned by the same company that owns Bravo and TWoP) while NCIS isn't. After the site was bought by Bravo, the shows which were recapped changed.

I started reading TWOP after the Aaron Sorking debacle and the forum making an appearance on the West Wing (although the forum was given a different name, LemonLyman.com). The recap for that episode was fantastically defensive and I still giggle reading it. That said, I never post on the forums because I'm not into hand slapping.

I've always been confused because Howard said that (s)he had bridesmaid dresses but there's also evidence that points towards Howard being a male.

Howard's gender might be the mystery of twop. It reminds me of this.

pat-snl.jpg

Howard's profile says female for what that's worth.

TWoP Howard has a superiority complex and displays it whenever it suits him/her. I had my hand slapped nastily once for something I don't even remember, so I don't post there anymore. The thread was closed on a Thrs. night "for the weekend." Since when is Friday considered a weekend? By now the thread should be open by those standards, and there is nothing new there, I lurk and read. Someone needs to make all of TWoP understand that consitentcy is key.

The real issue to me is why is it in Bravo's interest to have people like Howard (regardless of gender) moderate.

Excellent question. Most of the mods there seem to be on a power trip. I was banned with my first ID for no reason I ever figured out and with no explanation. I'm kind of a stubborn sort so I simply registered again in defiance.

TWOP is still a huge site and many threads move very quickly, so obviously there are many people who still post there and can live with the overbearing rules. In some ways, the obsessively strict moderation is TWOP's "brand," their trademark. They market themselves as the forum with high standards, where threads will always stay on topic, where there is no annoying netspeak allowed, the discussion will never degenerate into mememe-ing, and reading the whole thread is required prior to posting, so as to avoid people making the same point over and over or asking the same question over and over. That sort of thing appeals to a lot of people.

reading the whole thread is required prior to posting, so as to avoid people making the same point over and over or asking the same question over and over. .

They seriously have that rule? I just had a look at these forums and there are some threads showing 500, 700, 1000 pages and more, going back years I'd assume! Surely they don't enforce that?

Archived