IGNORED

Blog of 27 year old SAHD

formergothardite

I think it comes from Nuns. Really. It's the only religion where you can end up a spinster and still be highly respected. During the middle ages, Nuns were probably some of the most educated women of their time. Even today, branches like the Dominicans are mainly teaching vocations. My grandmother was pushing me to become a nun, and to this day I still think about time to time, I do believe I had a calling, I thought it was so powerful for a group of women to come together to work for charity. However, I disagree with the Catholic church on the main points, oh, like I'm pro-choice and love teh gays, and I got a bucketload of student debt.

There are certainly times in history wherein I would have chosen nun over wife, especially if I was a in lower social class.

ITA that it comes from the nuns. When I was Catholic they were a highly respected, albeit dwindling, group. It's still nice that it crosses over into the lives of the non-religious. I mean, I could see where they could easily imply, if not outright state, that being a single, childless woman means that you ignored your calling to become a sister. It's refreshing that they don't go that route.

As a group they have their problems (and the inability for women to become priests certainly points to an inequality between the sexes), but non-married women aren't useless, aren't considered a failure, etc., and that is certainly something they have over Protestant fundies.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived