IGNORED

Duggars buy Bates a $1300 camera

denimjumper

Read in today's comments section on the Gil Bates blog. Kelly confirms the the Duggars gave their daughter a Canon 20D camera. Retailed for $1300. Maybe Jinger's old one? Maybe a new one?

Love that Kelly replies to comments and questions.

That's actually really nice of them. I have to give the Bateses some credit, at least they seem to encourage (cringe) their children's hobbies and interests. Mind you, still very much within the fundie way but it seems like the kids have some freedom to pursue their own interests a bit more. Lawson with his movie thing and Alyssa with photography.

OT--I found this little tidbit in the comments:

By Gil, July 25, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Dear Anna,

We do not know what the quiverful movement is and are not associated with any movement of any sort, so I can’t speak for that group. There are a wide variety of opinions of what courtship is and what it should or should not involve. We are almost leary of using that term because it has become associated with so many opposing opinions. However, we used it because it does show that we’re choosing a different route than traditional dating. As for guidelines, there are a lot of suggestions people make, but the decision ultimately will rest on Zach and Sarah. We feel that the couple should spend time in prayer seeking God’s will for themselves, along with listening to counsel from others. Zach and Sarah chose to not hold hands during courtship, not because of any movement or any suggestions, but because they thought it could help them focus on learning to communicate with one another first. One thing we have come to realize is that every body is different… each example of marriage in the Bible is very different. Josh and Anna chose to hold hands after courtship and during their engagement. Zach and Sarah may gleam insight from the examples of others, but they will have to seek God for direction for each step along the way! Love, Kelly

That's actually really nice of them. I have to give the Bateses some credit, at least they seem to encourage (cringe) their children's hobbies and interests. Mind you, still very much within the fundie way but it seems like the kids have some freedom to pursue their own interests a bit more. Lawson with his movie thing and Alyssa with photography.

OT--I found this little tidbit in the comments:

By Gil, July 25, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Dear Anna,

We do not know what the quiverful movement is and are not associated with any movement of any sort, so I can’t speak for that group. There are a wide variety of opinions of what courtship is and what it should or should not involve. We are almost leary of using that term because it has become associated with so many opposing opinions. However, we used it because it does show that we’re choosing a different route than traditional dating. As for guidelines, there are a lot of suggestions people make, but the decision ultimately will rest on Zach and Sarah. We feel that the couple should spend time in prayer seeking God’s will for themselves, along with listening to counsel from others. Zach and Sarah chose to not hold hands during courtship, not because of any movement or any suggestions, but because they thought it could help them focus on learning to communicate with one another first. One thing we have come to realize is that every body is different… each example of marriage in the Bible is very different. Josh and Anna chose to hold hands after courtship and during their engagement. Zach and Sarah may gleam insight from the examples of others, but they will have to seek God for direction for each step along the way! Love, Kelly

Well, they do think everyone is different but I bet they don't think everyone is so different that they would condone premarital sex. I also doubt that they would ever believe that God might direct a couple to have sex and heaven forbid that God would ever direct someone to homosexuality or feminism. IMO, the Bates (and the Duggars) sugar coat a lot of their opinions so that they seem more palatable. I'm glad Kelly Bates answers questions but to me most of what she says seems like "double speak".

Didn't the Duggars also buy all the supplies for expanding their house? I know regarding the labor, a lot of it was left to the Bates to finish but the Duggars paid for the supplies right?

Okay first Kelly didn't even know what Quiverful was, and now she is backing away from the term "courtship" itself even though Zach and Sarah are, like, courting?

The camera's definitely some kind of ulterior motive. Probably a donation to the Bates 'church' as a tax write off for JB.

Kelly doesn't know what QF is? That's like her claiming not to have ever heard of Jesus.

Hmm, kind of sounds like someone is trying to buy a courtship. JD and Erin perhaps?

A camera for a dowry (SP?) ?? I thought the usual & customary was 2 goats and a sheep.

The 20D is no longer available to buy new. It has been discontinued as far as I know. There are 4 levels of DSLR cameras made by Canon. The 300/400/500 Series. Those are all pretty entry level. Then the 20D-60D (and the 7D falls somewhere between these and the 5Ds). Then the 5D/5D Mark ii (which are more professional cameras) and then the big boys: the 1Ds.

I somehow don't see a $350 camera with battery grip (ebay.ca) would be much of a dowry! LOL!

I would imagine that Jinger or whoever had outgrown the capabilities of that camera (the ISO capabilities are pretty limited) and that they upgraded.

Are Gil and Kelly Bates the Duggars poor relations, or maybe the Duggar's latest charitable cause? Gil and Kelly seem quite capable of supporting their own family.... they do have college degrees, after all. At what point do the Bates tell the Duggars to back off and take care of their OWN family?

A camera for a dowry (SP?) ?? I thought the usual & customary was 2 goats and a sheep.

That is true. However, when it comes to goats and sheep, you can't buy used and save the difference.

The 20D is no longer available to buy new. It has been discontinued as far as I know. There are 4 levels of DSLR cameras made by Canon. The 300/400/500 Series. Those are all pretty entry level. Then the 20D-60D (and the 7D falls somewhere between these and the 5Ds). Then the 5D/5D Mark ii (which are more professional cameras) and then the big boys: the 1Ds.

I somehow don't see a $350 camera with battery grip (ebay.ca) would be much of a dowry! LOL!

I would imagine that Jinger or whoever had outgrown the capabilities of that camera (the ISO capabilities are pretty limited) and that they upgraded.

This is pretty much part of my job (ahh, shopping for a living) and everything here is pretty spot on. This was almost certainly a cast-off of a Duggar, but if this was recent, it's probably more of a gift between friends than a bribe. If it had been a more recent model, then I'd say bribe.

This is pretty much part of my job (ahh, shopping for a living) and everything here is pretty spot on. This was almost certainly a cast-off of a Duggar, but if this was recent, it's probably more of a gift between friends than a bribe. If it had been a more recent model, then I'd say bribe.

So why give it away instead of seeing if there is another budding photographer in one of the howlers? While it is great to give to others, why not start with your own family first?

So why give it away instead of seeing if there is another budding photographer in one of the howlers? While it is great to give to others, why not start with your own family first?

Do we know that they didn't check and see first? I imagine that many of the kids have been able to futz around with a camera. All we know is that it was given as a gift.

Are Gil and Kelly Bates the Duggars poor relations, or maybe the Duggar's latest charitable cause? Gil and Kelly seem quite capable of supporting their own family.... they do have college degrees, after all. At what point do the Bates tell the Duggars to back off and take care of their OWN family?

I have wondered about that too. It seems the Bateses have a much smaller income that the Duggars. I think even if the Duggars weren't on TLC's teat, they would probably have more financial security than Gil and Kelly. I hate to sound cruel but I think the Bateses like getting stuff or help from the Duggars. The Bateses also sort of like being on TV and I remember there was a Yahoo article about them last year. If Kelly carries to term this time, I wouldn't be surprised if TLC began negotiating with them to have a show. I think TLC knows there is a big chance Michelle might not have more kids and I could see them giving the Bates family a show.

That is true. However, when it comes to goats and sheep, you can't buy used and save the difference.

*insert regional-ist joke about used goats, hurr hurr hurr*

Oh, also!

...Dear Anna,

...There are a wide variety of opinions of what courtship is and what it should or should not involve. We are almost leary of using that term because it has become associated with so many opposing opinions. However, we used it because it does show that we’re choosing a different route than traditional dating. As for guidelines, there are a lot of suggestions people make, but the decision ultimately will rest on Zach and Sarah. We feel that the couple should spend time in prayer seeking God’s will for themselves, along with listening to counsel from others. Zach and Sarah chose to not hold hands during courtship, not because of any movement or any suggestions, but because they thought it could help them focus on learning to communicate with one another first. One thing we have come to realize is that every body is different… each example of marriage in the Bible is very different. Josh and Anna chose to hold hands after courtship and during their engagement. Zach and Sarah may gleam insight from the examples of others, but they will have to seek God for direction for each step along the way! Love, Kelly

For me, this is encouraging, from the standpoint of overbearing legalism. I think the culture they're in, and following their friends a bit, will rub off on them, so they don't necessarily have to be super legalistic to do things that look that way.

Didn't the Duggars also buy all the supplies for expanding their house? I know regarding the labor, a lot of it was left to the Bates to finish but the Duggars paid for the supplies right?

The Duggars made some contributions, but if you check the acknowledgements section of their blog, there are a huge number of "special thank yous" to different companies who helped with the house. It looks like lots of materials were donated, and some people gave them some special deals:

gilbatesfamily.com/special-thanks/

The Duggars didn't even pay for all the finishings on their own house, so I doubt they covered the Bateses building expenses. They were still working on that house for nearly a year after the Duggars left. TLC may have chipped in as well, for the parts that were done during filming.

So the Duggars can afford a 1300 dollar camera, but they cant afford new shoes for all those kids, or new beds for those baby girls? Pfft.

FYI, brand new sneakers at Wal-Mart for all the kids would be at the most 380 dollars if they set a 20 dollar limit.

So the Duggars can afford a 1300 dollar camera, but they cant afford new shoes for all those kids, or new beds for those baby girls? Pfft.

FYI, brand new sneakers at Wal-Mart for all the kids would be at the most 380 dollars if they set a 20 dollar limit.

Fundies not buying their kids new shoes really grosses me out for different reasons. I agree they could buy shoes at Wal-Mart, Target or even Payless.

I don't see such gifts as odd. When we upgrade computer equipment, cameras, etc., we either sell it to recoup costs and use it towards the new one, or we give it to a family member. We have given a few cameras, at least four or five computers/laptops, one or two phones, a game system, and various other things to family - often with new parts or freshly updated. I see nothing wrong with giving away things that are still in good condition, if someone could use it more than we can use the re-sale money.

Let me state that hubby is a software engineer and does video shooting/editing on the side, so he needs newer versions of software and equipment to keep with the industry.

FMJ, I bet they didn't buy that 20D for $1300 either. I'm pretty sure this is something they would have bought "used, save the difference".

I agree, though, that beds (even if not new) and some new shoes should be a priority!

Here's my take: It was a nice gift regardless of price. I have always said the Duggars seem very sincere in their giving and take the flack that comes with their visible gifts.

I'm sure Alyssa wants to do the Gothard teenager-dream-course on Photography. It's one approved way of self-expression--still within tight limits of course, but it is a way of expressing herself.

Archived