IGNORED

Purity culture is rape culture

lilah

I usually stay out of these threads because I'm a sexual assault survivor (not victim, I will never be a victim) and these sorts of threads are indeed a trigger for me. But I clicked on the link and yes, its bang on correct. Even if you take away all the religious bullshit, we ALL still live in a patriarchal society where women are judged by what goes in their vaginas and where men still think it their right to abuse women. I'm not a man hater, far from it. But we do need a MASSIVE change in attitudes and it needs to start with youngsters.

What I don't get is how we can have the concept of private property and still live in a rape culture. If someone knocks down my door and forces their way into my home, that is criminal invasion. If someone knocks on my door, I say you cannot come in, and they proceed to knock down the door and enters my home, that is criminal invasion. If I'm away from home with the doors unlocked, and someone waltzes in, that is trespassing. If someone comes over, I invite them in, and after a while I tell them to leave and they don't, that is trespassing.

But yet with a woman accusing a perpetrator of "trespassing" or "invading" is always questioned. If someone broke into my home, it wouldn't matter how many stereos I had or even if I had an apple pie cooling off in the window to entice intruders...trespassing is trespassing and theft is theft. But if someone assaulted me, society would ask if I was wearing something too revealing, or if I was sending mixed signals. It's ironic that legally we used to be considered property, but it seems like many in our society still have more respect for personal property than women's bodies. There are still goons that believe that we are just pieces of meat to be used and thrown out at their discretion.

I'm glad for this thread.( Although I will admit, I thought I had posted on it.) Some men have an entitlement mentality. They believe that women owe them not just sex but their time and attention. A woman is not a bitch if she doesn't allow a man to open doors or smile at him. Yet, I've been on threads where men have expressed anger at the thought that a woman would refuse to let a man open doors for them. Rape and door opening might seem unconnected but the mentality is the similar. The man wanted something and the woman should provide, whether it be gratitude for his attention or sex

What I don't get is how we can have the concept of private property and still live in a rape culture. If someone knocks down my door and forces their way into my home, that is criminal invasion. If someone knocks on my door, I say you cannot come in, and they proceed to knock down the door and enters my home, that is criminal invasion. If I'm away from home with the doors unlocked, and someone waltzes in, that is trespassing. If someone comes over, I invite them in, and after a while I tell them to leave and they don't, that is trespassing.

But yet with a woman accusing a perpetrator of "trespassing" or "invading" is always questioned. If someone broke into my home, it wouldn't matter how many stereos I had or even if I had an apple pie cooling off in the window to entice intruders...trespassing is trespassing and theft is theft. But if someone assaulted me, society would ask if I was wearing something too revealing, or if I was sending mixed signals. It's ironic that legally we used to be considered property, but it seems like many in our society still have more respect for personal property than women's bodies. There are still goons that believe that we are just pieces of meat to be used and thrown out at their discretion.

THIS.

Archived