IGNORED

Michelle Duggar on Guiding Kids into Adulthood

Boogalou

I think josh has referred to social security an entitlement benefit on his instagram.

Yea Michelle taught the kids about bankruptcy at the SODRT and completely skipped over social security.

Yet, when it's his time to collect he'll gobble it up like it's Tater Tot Casserole.

There are two different kinds of social security. Social security retirement and social security disability. You have to pay into social security retirement in order to get it. Its automatically deducted from all of your paychecks. I dont know if Josh is paying into it because I dont know how he is being paid. I kind of doubt that he is paying into it because it makes it sound like the government is just handing out free money to people. There is also social security for disability. You dont pay into this. You get it if you are too disabled to work. Your dependents also get it if they are under the age of 18. It helps pay for your daily needs like housing, food and clothing. Many people on it also get food stamps because it is not a living wage.

Michelle Duggar is the last person I would ask for advice on this subject. There are FJ members I have asked for parenting advice, in part because I admire their skills as evidenced by having fulfilled, functional adult children. I don't want twenty-something daughters in my house who are not working toward a career and independence. I don't want an adult son who lives in a family-owned home and gets the profit/credit/perks of a family-owned business without making any contributions. Not to be a snob, but I expect that my children will make the most of their gifts and interests, find some fulfillment and financial stability in the process.

Honestly, I would turn to Michelle for advice on how to hobble your children so that they can never be a functional adult, how to use religion as a means of abuse without breaking any laws, how to make your children afraid of the outside world, how to parent without actually interacting with a child. But I don't want to accomplish any of that.

There are two different kinds of social security. Social security retirement and social security disability. You have to pay into social security retirement in order to get it. Its automatically deducted from all of your paychecks. I dont know if Josh is paying into it because I dont know how he is being paid. I kind of doubt that he is paying into it because it makes it sound like the government is just handing out free money to people. There is also social security for disability. You dont pay into this. You get it if you are too disabled to work. Your dependents also get it if they are under the age of 18. It helps pay for your daily needs like housing, food and clothing. Many people on it also get food stamps because it is not a living wage.

There are 2 types of social security disbility, SSI and SSDI. SSDI is based on how much you worked and made. This is what I was reffering to. I have a friend that is 48 and worked for over 30 years and became disabled. The last 10 years she made over 50k a year. She gets a little over 2k a month in SSDI and 1k for her kids. Another lady in her support group who is 50 but made less money gets $1200 a month and $600 for her kids. So working does matter towards ssdi. There is a big diffference between $1800 and $3000 a month in having a comfortable standard of living. I have a cousin that is 33 but only worked 3 years and she doesn't even qualify for SSDI because she did not work enough quarters. She gets SSI which is around $700 a month and nothing for her kids.

I guess they would think this is a government handout? If a ATI/Duggar gets disabled do you just move in with an older sibling or back with mom and dad? Does Mrs Query not collect SS for her kids because her husband passed and they were under 18?

The Duggars have been honest about Josh living in Mary's rental, but they haven't been honest about the car lot. Those lies annoy me quite a bit. If the Duggars were honest about the help they give Josh, I think some people would be understanding. I know people slightly younger than Josh that are in college and they get help for certain expenses from their parents. In a way Josh's situation looks bad, it is one thing for a couple to help out a single adult child in college and it is another thing for a couple like Boob and Mullet who are pretty much supporting an adult son, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren. Josh and his family are heavily supported by the dog and pony show. I predict J&A will try to make money as "Christian motivational speakers", they will get a few gigs at first, but then things will go down hill.

I think maybe the J'Slaves will try to get speaking gigs after the show ends, but again things will dry up. All of the older Duggar kids are awful public speakers. Jill says "ummm" and "uhhh" way too much. Josh and Anna were awful in that church speaking video from last year. I hate to make this prediction, but I see one of the Duggar kids ending up on government assistance as an adult.

I think if the Duggars or another fundie family had a family member that became disabled and unable to work. I bet they would end up taking SSDI or other forms of assistance. ETA: I wonder if the Muncks get any government assistance for Jonathan. I wonder quite a bit with that family, because they seem to deny other forms of help. Elizabeth's is Jonathan's teacher and I'm sure they could get better teachers or programs for Jonathan via assistance.

if the J'Slaves went and worked in a restaurant for a week, I can see tons of problems. The Duggar time attitude would mess them up. I can't see them doing well under pressure or during dinner rush time. I can also see them having problems with co-workers.

I can see them wondering what the heck they are supposed to do with all the reusable dinnerware.

Another to add is that Mullet admitted on the show that the kids have to schedule for one on one time with her. I think that is stupid because she is home a lot.

Holy shit, that REALLY happens?! I thought Kid Farm was exaggerating about that!

Holy shit, that REALLY happens?! I thought Kid Farm was exaggerating about that!

Yup it does. I think it was in the first or second season that Mullet admitted to it on camera.

The Duggars have been honest about Josh living in Mary's rental, but they haven't been honest about the car lot. Those lies annoy me quite a bit. If the Duggars were honest about the help they give Josh, I think some people would be understanding. I know people slightly younger than Josh that are in college and they get help for certain expenses from their parents. In a way Josh's situation looks bad, it is one thing for a couple to help out a single adult child in college and it is another thing for a couple like Boob and Mullet who are pretty much supporting an adult son, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren. Josh and his family are heavily supported by the dog and pony show. I predict J&A will try to make money as "Christian motivational speakers", they will get a few gigs at first, but then things will go down hill.

I think maybe the J'Slaves will try to get speaking gigs after the show ends, but again things will dry up. All of the older Duggar kids are awful public speakers. Jill says "ummm" and "uhhh" way too much. Josh and Anna were awful in that church speaking video from last year. I hate to make this prediction, but I see one of the Duggar kids ending up on government assistance as an adult.

Jill also says "Aannnnddd...." a lot. Drives me up the fucking wall. Anna too.

I forgot about that too. I still remember listenting to those audio clips of the J'Slaves speaking at conference last year. I think with the Duggars, nobody has told the older kids that they suck at public speaking.

As bad as the um's, uh's, & and's are, imo it's her total lack of enunciation that will prevent her from continuing to get speaking gigs once the show's over.

I forgot about that too. I still remember listenting to those audio clips of the J'Slaves speaking at conference last year. I think with the Duggars, nobody has told the older kids that they suck at public speaking.

It does not matter that they can't speak or play music or sing. all that matters is that they are uber Christians that breed like rabbits and have home schooled kids.

I personally think everyone should work customer service for a year. It will teach them humility.

I've often said exactly the same thing. I learned some amazing life skills during my years in different customer service jobs.

I think josh has referred to social security an entitlement benefit on his instagram.

Josh is good at forming opinions on something he knows nothing about- a lot like Chris Jeub. Before the show, I am sure the Duggars got entitlement in the form of deductions (eg. home church) and child tax credits.

It seems we'll never get the non-existent home church tax deduction story killed, will we? It may be the greatest Duggar untrue rumor ever. Sorry Roddma. I know it's spread so far and wide that it seems true.

I never believed the home church tax deduction rumor. But I agree with roddma, the Duggars have taken child tax credits in the past.

They had to have taken the child tax credits when they were eligible. They probably don't even see that as a government benefit.

They had to have taken the child tax credits when they were eligible. They probably don't even see that as a government benefit.

Of course not. It's their due for being a godly family.

It was my understadning they stopped home church because of the tax rumor thing. Then, it isn't like they need the money anymore. Even if they never claimed their home as a church, I am sure Jim bob benefited somehow. The TLC income likely prevents them fom claiming any child tax credits or deductions now.I think the cap is like $50K.

And I am for certain JB is teaching his sons all the tax loopholes.

I think they stopped the home church because they ran out of room. First they moved church to the "airport house" and now the place they use looks like a rented warehouse. The congregation has gotten large enough that they may have incorporated it as a church in which case the incorporated entity could claim tax-exempt status by filing the proper paperwork.

Do Jim Bob and Michelle believe in social security system or not? I'm not trying to get into a political debate. I'm sure JB and Michelle will be fine with the TLC and other money they have invested for retirment but what about the kids? I got my work permit at 14. I grew up in an upper middle class home a an only child and there was no reason I had to work but my father marched me down to get a job the day after turned 14. My father also made me start my retiremnt account at 18. I hated back then putting 2k in a year when my friends had all this extra spending money but now I am SO thankful. I worked through high school, college, only stopping when I had to go on bedrest with baby #1 in my late 20's. What I didn't realize until I was dx with a serious vascular/heart condition was if I did want to go on ssdi how much more I would get because I have worked since I was 14 and paid in the extra quarters. Then looking at the retirement side, comparing my mom(worked over 25 years) and mother in law(worked 15 years) and the amount they got at retirement, my mom got more then double what my mother in law got and the quality of life difference was amazing.

I assume that none of the Duggar kids including Josh have paid into SS? Does Jim Sammons cover retirement in his famous seminar? Do those wisdom booklets cover retirement or just bankrupcy? It is one thing for Michelle to tell her kids that the world is full of bad people and evil temptations. This is something the kids hopefully have started to learn is not true because of TLC trips. Having the kids miss out on 10+ years of paying into SS is wrong because it is something that can't be given back. Or even contributing to an IRA/some sort of retirement account in your 20's is worth 25+ years of contributing when you are older. I would assume the over 18 kids give those political contributions to losing campaigns instead of towards retirement.

I certainly don't agree on everything with my parents but I am thankful for the work ethic they gave me at 14 and the sound financial planning.

While I'm sure to some looking at Michelle's SAHV(stay at home virgins) is appealing , I can't believe so many people don't want thier kids to go to college. I have traveled the world and I hear the same things no matter where I go, moms and dads want their kids to be healthy, go to college, and have a family. Plenty of cultures want the unmarried children to stay at home but the older children are working or in university while at home.

Exactly! What are all those kids going to do? They really know how to cripple their children!

Exactly! What are all those kids going to do? They really know how to cripple their children!

For most if not all of these kids, their only hope will be marriage to someone who HAS 10 years or 40 quarters of creditable social security and medicare taxes.

Michelle Duggar has successfully managed to keep her kids breathing, but in now way has she guided them into adulthood. Poor Josh is the only one who's managed to quasi-escape, but even he's crippled by his parents, even though he's a husband and father. I cannot imagine who'd look to the Duggars for parenting tips.

Archived