IGNORED

2 books that made me think of FJ

kiwimusume

I read a couple of books recently that made me think of FreeJinger.

The first is Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka. I downloaded it because of FJ and wouldn't be surprised if it was discussed on here when it first came out (2008) because it's about the kind of fundies we talk about. I'd love to hear from anyone else on here who's read it about what they thought of it.

The second was Beta by Rachel Cohn. Never has a book gone from a four or five to a big fat zero so fast for me. I was devouring this book right up to a chapter or two from the end when the author decided to throw a Renesmee into the mix and decided to do this via anti-choice-for-rape-victims propaganda. It's hypocritical too, as the whole point of the series is that the entire race of clones the protagonist belongs to is built to be owned by humans and to serve them and now they're fighting for their rights. And then the very same person who's helping the protagonist to fight for her freedom and rights is taking a huge freedom and right away from her, and we're supposed to agree with that. If I hadn't been reading this book on my ereader I would have thrown it out the train window.

I'll make notes of those two.

Has anyone read Toni Jordan's "When she woke"? A customer at work recommended it to me and I can't wait to read it.

Hannah Payne’s life has been devoted to church and family. But after she’s convicted of murder, she awakens to a nightmarish new life. She finds herself lying on a table in a bare room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home, for whom observing new Chromes—criminals whose skin color has been genetically altered to match the class of their crime—is a sinister form of entertainment. Hannah is a Red for the crime of murder. The victim, says the State of Texas, was her unborn child, and Hannah is determined to protect the identity of the father, a public figure with whom she shared a fierce and forbidden love.

A powerful reimagining of The Scarlet Letter, When She Woke is a timely fable about a stigmatized woman struggling to navigate an America of the not-too-distant future, where the line between church and state has been eradicated, and convicted felons are no longer imprisoned but chromed and released back into the population to survive as best they can. In seeking a path to safety in an alien and hostile world, Hannah unknowingly embarks on a journey of self-discovery that forces her to question the values she once held true and the righteousness of a country that politicizes faith and love

(from goodreads)

Has anyone read Toni Jordan's "When she woke"? A customer at work recommended it to me and I can't wait to read it.

I haven't read it yet; it's very high on my list. I've heard really good things about it. It sounds like it's in the same vein as The Handmaid's Tale, which I absolutely love.

I haven't read it yet; it's very high on my list. I've heard really good things about it. It sounds like it's in the same vein as The Handmaid's Tale, which I absolutely love.

Exactly what I've heard. Also that it's a take on The Scarlet Letter. Should be very interesting and another to add to the "fundies should read this book" list.

Archived