IGNORED

Rape, Football, and Social Media

Peas n carrots

They will serve a minimum of 1 and 2 years respectively, in a juvenile facility. Then it will be determined if they will remain incarcerated (in juvie) until 21. Any bets they will serve more than the minimum? No? I don't think so, either.

Also, those who are saying they will be registered sex offenders....no. At 21, their sexual offender status will be determined. I suspect that they will have records expunged and be free to have learned nothing.

Petetitions are circulating to have Jane Hanlin recalled. There's plenty of muck in Steubenville to go around. Ironic that it's fundie Central for Trad Catholics at Good old F.U.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am saying I doubt they will repeat it as it did not get them off. they did it for the lark of it not because they wanted an orgasm. I am not condoning what they did was ok I am saying that I doubt they will repeat it as it was more of a thrill then a sexual satisfaction thing.

Doggie, you are a fucking idiot and I am going to venture to call you a rape apologist. I'm not surprised after spending years reading your sexist posts, not saying anything because I was afraid to since you generally are let off easy here. But I don't care anymore. Even if people swoop in to defend you and I get my hand slapped, I don't care. I need to say this.

People like you are the problem, the reason why we live in a rape culture. I get that you're a product of it too, but you obviously don't care to change. A young girl was violated and had her life forever changed. She will bear the burden of living with her trauma for the rest of her life. She was violated, urinated on, mocked, treated as if she had no worth, has received death threats, had her character dragged through the mud by adults and former friends, had her name released by the media, and has had to put up with journalists and regular people like you downplaying what happened to her and openly expressing pity for HER RAPISTS. And you say that they "just" put their fingers in her, like it ain't no thang. She may never be able to trust another human being again or be able to function. Whatever her dreams were, she may never be able to achieve them because if what happened to her that night, and what she has had to go through in the aftermath.

I believe wholeheartedly that these boys will offend again. I hope that they don't, but I believe they will. When you get to the age of 16 and you have so little empathy that you will treat another being, especially one in a vulnerable state, in such a way, I believe there is no hope for you to change. I think they are sociopaths. They have absolutely no remorse for what they did to this girl. All of their tears are for themselves. Even the apology wasn't saying sorry for raping her, but for posting evidence of it online. They are only sorry they got caught. They will do it again if they can get away with it. And sadly, I fear they will be able to get away with it next time. All they learned from this is how to avoid getting caught.

I find it extremely disturbing that you think that since they didn't "get off" (and believe me, they got off in a power trip sort of way), that you doubt they will offend again, as if rape is about sexual satisfaction and not about the feeling of power a rapist gets when they violate someone who is more vulnerable than they are. This wasn't about sex. This was about degrading this young woman. Again, if you (general you) are the kind of person who thinks its fun on a "lark" and gets a "thrill" out of violating another living being in that way, and then feel no guilt and go on to mock your victim publicly, you're probably a sociopath who will strike again. Why do I have to explain all of this to a middle aged man who is the father of a young girl? Oh right, because we live in a patriarchal rape culture where men have the privilege of not having to think about these things. It's a shame that somewhere between posting links to articles about "slutty" 16 year old girls and making sexual comments to female posters, that you haven't been able to soak up any of the feminist thought.

Oh, and rape isn't sex. Rape is rape.

Doggie, you are a fucking idiot and I am going to venture to call you a rape apologist. I'm not surprised after spending years reading your sexist posts, not saying anything because I was afraid to since you generally are let off easy here. But I don't care anymore. Even if people swoop in to defend you and I get my hand slapped, I don't care. I need to say this.

People like you are the problem, the reason why we live in a rape culture. I get that you're a product of it too, but you obviously don't care to change. A young girl was violated and had her life forever changed. She will bear the burden of living with her trauma for the rest of her life. She was violated, urinated on, mocked, treated as if she had no worth, has received death threats, had her character dragged through the mud by adults and former friends, had her name released by the media, and has had to put up with journalists and regular people like you downplaying what happened to her and openly expressing pity for HER RAPISTS. And you say that they "just" put their fingers in her, like it ain't no thang. She may never be able to trust another human being again or be able to function. Whatever her dreams were, she may never be able to achieve them because if what happened to her that night, and what she has had to go through in the aftermath.

I believe wholeheartedly that these boys will offend again. I hope that they don't, but I believe they will. When you get to the age of 16 and you have so little empathy that you will treat another being, especially one in a vulnerable state, in such a way, I believe there is no hope for you to change. I think they are sociopaths. They have absolutely no remorse for what they did to this girl. All of their tears are for themselves. Even the apology wasn't saying sorry for raping her, but for posting evidence of it online. They are only sorry they got caught. They will do it again if they can get away with it. And sadly, I fear they will be able to get away with it next time. All they learned from this is how to avoid getting caught.

I find it extremely disturbing that you think that since they didn't "get off" (and believe me, they got off in a power trip sort of way), that you doubt they will offend again, as if rape is about sexual satisfaction and not about the feeling of power a rapist gets when they violate someone who is more vulnerable than they are. This wasn't about sex. This was about degrading this young woman. Again, if you (general you) are the kind of person who thinks its fun on a "lark" and gets a "thrill" out of violating another living being in that way, and then feel no guilt and go on to mock your victim publicly, you're probably a sociopath who will strike again. Why do I have to explain all of this to a middle aged man who is the father of a young girl? Oh right, because we live in a patriarchal rape culture where men have the privilege of not having to think about these things. It's a shame that somewhere between posting links to articles about "slutty" 16 year old girls and making sexual comments to female posters, that you haven't been able to soak up any of the feminist thought.

:clap: QFT

OMFG doggie has a young daughter? And he thinks rape is a lark, just something to get out of one's system? Wow.

Dinaberries, thank you for putting words around what I have been thinking all day.

Can we please talk about the fact that this poor girl is getting death threats now?

I saw that earlier and it makes me sick - http://news.msn.com/us/2-arrested-for-a ... ape-victim

I'm glad they're being arrested and I hope the charges stick. It seems even worse to be coming from girls that were probably the victim's peers. What a sick society with messed-up priorities we live in.

But will they do it again? not sure but they did not have sex with her they only put their fingers in her.

Wow, I'm totally disgusted by this view. So doggie, the next time some man [or woman] simply puts their fingers in the vagina of an infant or a five year old or a twelve year old, that's not sex, that's not what...real rape...that's just putting some fingers inside of them to violate them. That is rape, plain and simple. Rape is not just penetrating with a penis. I'm so p.o.'d seeing this I am spitting nails.

Sorry also, I think I was the one who initially said one was in detention til 21. When I reread my post I realized that I meant to type he was given 2 years, but the courts reserved the right to keep him til 21.

I had discussions in my classes last week and today about this case. It was good to hear my students, especially the males and those who are athletes, condemning this kind of behavior. We talked about what they should do if they ever found themselves in that situation...such as, try to stop the crime, who to contact, etc. Not once did any student blame the young girl for overindulging in alcohol, of course I believe her drink was spiked, but nonetheless that never ever means that someone has the right to take advantage of someone in that type of situation.

I'm also glad they're going after 16 more people. I read that at least one of the coaches was well aware of what happened early on, but never reported anything to the police. For those in authority positions to refuse their obligations as mandated reporters to court sickens me. I hope they throw the book at the adults who worked to keep this all on the down low.

Can we please talk about the fact that this poor girl is getting death threats now?

Because in *some people's logic*, it's worse for a woman to press rape charges against a promising student athlete than it is for the promising student athlete to rape a woman.

What the hell?

She is brave. There's a relatively small proportion of rapes in response to which victims file charges, and a smaller proportion in which victims go to court. And this kind of response is precisely why. Unless you're filing against a scary dude who jumped out of the bushes (the kind of rapist who's common in Anecdote Land but who's statistically much rarer than a boyfriend, classmate, family member, or acquaintance), you're going to have your character assassinated in court, in the name of defending your attacker. You might have your name leaked, in violation of journalistic ethics. And if, heaven forbid, your rapist was an athlete of some skill and promise, you will be accused of dragging a good man down, ruining a man's career and reputation, lying, and / or looking for a settlement.

Never mind that the rapist made a decision to use a fellow human when she was not capable of giving consent, in full knowledge that it is illegal and wrong to do so.

It is not illegal or wrong to go to a party. It is not illegal or wrong to trust a stranger. It is both illegal and wrong to rape someone.

She is so brave, and it grieves me that what's she's going through isn't over yet. I hope she has a good support system.

I agree it is not really guilt when it only happens after you are found guilty. People are noticing that CNN and the way they treated the boys. But will they do it again? not sure but they did not have sex with her they only put their fingers in her.

Here is what I can say calmly:

You are using a very narrow definition of rape that is no longer the legal standard. By the standard you are using, for instance, men cannot be raped. Sometimes there are good reasons for the law to change.

Signed,

The ex of a male rape victim

Here is what I can say calmly:

You are using a very narrow definition of rape that is no longer the legal standard. By the standard you are using, for instance, men cannot be raped. Sometimes there are good reasons for the law to change.

Signed,

The ex of a male rape victim

I mean that they did it more because it was a fun or cool thing to do. to brag about it more then for the sexual thrill. they could have done the full sexual act and if they did I think they would be more likely to do it again if they had not been caught. But this was more of a prank that went wrong in their minds so they most likely will not repeat it.

The problem is that these boys don't understand that peeing on and sexually molesting a girl in her sleep is not funny. At all. I do think there were more followers than instigators. People in a group will do things that they would never, ever do alone. I believe they were trying to target the ringleaders. Not that being a sheep is an excuse. I still think they should be punished. Hoping that the two they specifically targeted are the two the police believe are the ones with the real problems. It would have been harder, I think, to get cooperation to convict had all the boys been involved. Sometimes the law is just not fair, but it's better than no charges at all.

Wait, what? It was just a prank? WTH?

A prank is wrapping saran wrap under the toilet seat. What those boys did is a crime, hence the court finding them guilty and sending them to jail. Holy hell.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... shland-mom

This is the kind of thing that happens when the star athletes are allowed to continue having things swept under the rug and status trumps.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

And I'm sure my 9 year old neighbor wasn't probably feeling raped as the sick fuck prodded her with just his fingers. I'm sure she was aware it was just a prank by the time her own mother and the rapists wife began doing it to her too.

Ugh. I'm done. I'm pre-menstrual and come out of bed raging anyway. I don't think I'm suited at the moment to listen to some of these comments bout this. Why are there so many freaks in Ohio anyway?

I mean that they did it more because it was a fun or cool thing to do. to brag about it more then for the sexual thrill. they could have done the full sexual act and if they did I think they would be more likely to do it again if they had not been caught. But this was more of a prank that went wrong in their minds so they most likely will not repeat it.

Good Lord, it DOESN'T MATTER that they used fingers instead of penises. It was still rape, not some fucking prank gone wrong. If this was your daughter who had been victimized, I doubt you'd be saying, "It's not as bad because they just shoved their fingers in her vagina!"

Only a sociopath would think it was a "fun or cool" thing to forcibly penetrate a minor who's unable to consent, and then filmed it on a cell phone camera. There are so many things very wrong with this scenario...

I was going to PM the following to Dinaberries but I decided to post it here instead:

I knew there was a reason I kept putting off opening this thread. You are spot-on about doggie, but there's no fucking point. I honestly do think that he's too stupid to understand. You could guide him through, step by step, and he wouldn't get it, he'd still be there herp-derping it up, inflicting his important man opinions on the rest of freejinger even after the community has repeatedly shown irritated tolerance, at best, in response to his posts. Like, his latest post is on how it was a "prank" so they won't do it again, and I could go in and say "what evidence do you have to suggest that that mindset prevents re-offending" but there is no. point.

I honestly don't have the willpower to go back and comb the internets for the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure there was reference during trial testimony to the victim having semen on her, or a substance the witness thought was semen. And there was some reference to her being "penetrated" in the back seat of a car. That may have been just fingers, or it may have been something more. She'll never know exactly what they did to her, or who saw it happening, and that's part of the horror of this. Anyway, it seems likely that sexual gratification for the perpetrators was part of their assault. I don't understand the point of minimizing their behavior, especially after they've already been legally convicted of rape. Should we think of all the things they could have done, and give them a cookie for each empty box on the rape checklist?

I doubt you'll get handslapped by many (if any) people over this. I don't get the impression doggie is well liked here (though the fact I personally dislike him may cloud that assessment) I think not too many people call him out on the stupid, sexist shit he says here because a lot of people either have his posts blocked or just ignore him.

So you're going to ignore the very well stated posts calling you out for being an asshole and just continue down asshole lane by explaining that if you rape someone as a 'prank' it won't be repeated but if you rape someone for the sexual thrill it will?

DIAF.

Keep digging that hole, doggie. You just keep on digging.

Ignoring Doggie for now....

Even though the prison sentences are short, it is great news that this got such high media coverage. Outside of their small towns, I'm pretty sure their football careers are over. What kind of reputable college would let any of the convicted boys play for their teams? With scholarships? Parents paying tuition would have a field day, as would students footing their own bill. I know as a female I would switch colleges and take my business elsewhere.

Edited for clarity

Archived