IGNORED

This Blog Post Makes Me Sad For The Writer

debrand

I suppose that all fundamentalist blog post make me sad. However, occasionally I'll come across one that saddens me for the writer.

(The writer, Jess has visited before and she always leaves when the questions get more difficult.)

makinghome.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-12-01T15:14:00-06:00&max-results=4&start=4&by-date=false

Jess' husband has a flu or food poisoning. When she wrote the post, she was twenty-six weeks pregnant. While her brother and sil visit, her son, Moses gets ill. Any normal person would be stressed, tired and probably need help.

And you know what horrific thing I saw each night? No, I don't mean the physical sights... YUCK.

I saw my own ugliness of heart. I saw my own selfishness, desire for sleep despite the needs of people I love. I saw my own impatience as I grumped at Doug last night. I saw a demanding of my own rights, even if internally, though Jesus "was in the form of God and did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the form of a servant."

Discipline. God is disciplining me. Showing me my weak spots and training me. Giving me opportunities to do right or do poorly, and then shining light into ugly corners of my heart.

Not only is the above very sad but it makes me overjoyed not to be a Christian. I could tell my brother, "Hey, help me. Why don't you let me get some sleep?" without guilt. If I get cranky, I can apologize but I don't have to beat myself up over a momentary lapse. After all, I am not aiming for perfection.

I'm not certain what she means by 'my rights." Certainly, the person who is well should care for those who are sick but afterwards, it would be perfectly understandable to expect your spouse to let you take a rest. She didn't write what she meant by the phrase, my rights so I don't know.

HUMAN PARENTAL DISCIPLINE:

Human fathers disciplining their children is assumed to be a universal truth for all parents/children. (v. 7)

Those children who are not disciplined are being treated like illegitimate children, not sons and daughters. (v. 8)

When earthly fathers discipline, earthly children respect them. (v. 9)

Discipline in the life of a child happens in a "short" window of time. (v. 10)

Human discipline differs according to "what seems best" to the parent. (v. 10)

All true discipline will seem painful rather than pleasant. (v. 11)

True discipline will yield a peaceful fruit of righteousness in the lives of those who have been trained by it. (v. 11)

I know that some Christians don't consider the word, discipline to mean physical punishment. However, Jess has a link to the site Raising Godly Tomatoes on the right side of her blog.

I saw my own selfishness, desire for sleep despite the needs of people I love.

This really stuck out for me.

Sleep is not a "desire". It is a human need. People need sleep, particularly pregnant people!

Archived