IGNORED

WTF Daddy Arndt

0 kids n not countin

Is there such a thing as group autism?

I have wondered if Mark's alopecia was a possible catalyst for the homeschooling and the beginning of the social isolation of the kids. He and his two older brothers did attend school (which means Paul probably went until at least the second or third grade) and from the old videos, we know Mark’s hair was completely gone by the time he was of school age, making him a possible if not likely target of bullies. Rick and Cathy have always been completely obsessed with their kids and something like that may have caused them to begin to close ranks.

But I think it is worth noting that they have never been completely isolated. Most of the kids grew up in an older house on a busy street with neighbors close by. They do host those softball events and other parties that are attended by people outside the family. All of the kids, Wizzie included, go to a local Y and they've gone to places like museums (even a real science one) and historical landmarks all across the country. They watch sporting events on TV so they see the commercials, and they frequent ice cream parlors and fast food joints. The sons that do the court reporting travel into the big city where they hear all sorts of things at depositions and trials and interact with attorneys, judges, doctors, plaintiffs and defendants. And the ones who do the wedding photography must see all sorts of people in all manner of dress at the non-fundie weddings they shoot. One of them even filmed a pre-wedding video of some clients essentially making out all over the place.

If they were truly isolated they'd make more sense to me. But although they are a disturbingly insular family, they are not completely sheltered from the outside world (especially the older ones) which makes their behavior all the more bizarre.

They were already being home schooled before Mark's alopecia occurred. They all spent their entire grade school years being home schooled. It was when they reached high school age that Cathy's dad was worried about the isolation issue, and he offered to pay to send all those kids to Althoff Catholic High School in Belleville. I believe that Paul, John, and Mark attended for one year, and then, were pulled out.

Mark later wrote that he was outraged that evolution was discussed in his biology class. He then posed the question: "If man descended from apes, why do apes still exist?", as if the fact that apes still exist proves that evolution is false. :doh:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were already being home schooled before Mark's alopecia occurred. They all spent their entire grade school years being home schooled. It was when they reached high school age that Cathy's dad was worried about the isolation issue, and he offered to pay to send all those kids to Althoff Catholic High School in Belleville. I believe that Paul, John, and Mark attended for one year, and then, were pulled out.

Mark later wrote that he was outraged that evolution was discussed in his biology class. He then posed the question: "If man descended from apes, why do apes still exist?", as if the fact that apes still exist proves that evolution is false. :doh:

Dammit Mark, your grandfather paid good money for you to take that class and you screwed it up to the point where you don't even understand common ancestry? :naughty:

Dammit Mark, your grandfather paid good money for you to take that class and you screwed it up to the point where you don't even understand common ancestry? :naughty:

I hate that argument. Some Creationists use it as their trump card as if it proves anything. Argh

Gahhhhh. My sixth-grade teacher gave us the simple explanation that humans were descended from "ape-like animals." No, evolution wasn't considered even the slightest bit controversial--NEARLY FIFTY YEARS AGO.

Gahhhhh. My sixth-grade teacher gave us the simple explanation that humans were descended from "ape-like animals." No, evolution wasn't considered even the slightest bit controversial--NEARLY FIFTY YEARS AGO.

My question is, even if you disagree with what's being taught, why take your toys and go home? Why not grow up and have a real discussion where even if you walk away with your same ideas, at least you've opened your brain up a little bit and seen that yours isn't the only opinion out there? Why are you so scared you're living in a house of cards? If your beliefs are correct, shouldn't they be able to stand up to scrutiny? If they can't stand up to scrutiny shouldn't you learn all you can about other beliefs so you can decide which ones will stand up to scrutiny? Wouldn't a school other than SOTDRT be a better option for that?

My question is, even if you disagree with what's being taught, why take your toys and go home? Why not grow up and have a real discussion where even if you walk away with your same ideas, at least you've opened your brain up a little bit and seen that yours isn't the only opinion out there? Why are you so scared you're living in a house of cards? If your beliefs are correct, shouldn't they be able to stand up to scrutiny? If they can't stand up to scrutiny shouldn't you learn all you can about other beliefs so you can decide which ones will stand up to scrutiny? Wouldn't a school other than SOTDRT be a better option for that?

It's pretty simple: Allow one little bit of critical thinking in, and the whole fundie house of cards collapses. For instance, questioning a literal six-day view of Creation could lead to questioning the divinity of Jesus. (I visit an ex-Mormon forum, and it seems most of the members there, once they decided that their religion didn't stand up to scrutiny, morphed immediately into agnostics or atheists.)

It's pretty simple: Allow one little bit of critical thinking in, and the whole fundie house of cards collapses. For instance, questioning a literal six-day view of Creation could lead to questioning the divinity of Jesus.

This is what doesn't make sense to me as a non-fundie Christian. Remember that the ebil evolution-teaching school in question was a Catholic school! Millions of people manage to believe in the fossil record and Jesus simultaneously. It's not difficult.

This is what doesn't make sense to me as a non-fundie Christian. Remember that the ebil evolution-teaching school in question was a Catholic school! Millions of people manage to believe in the fossil record and Jesus simultaneously. It's not difficult.

Yep. Also, when Hane observed:

It's pretty simple: Allow one little bit of critical thinking in, and the whole fundie house of cards collapses. For instance, questioning a literal six-day view of Creation could lead to questioning the divinity of Jesus. (I visit an ex-Mormon forum, and it seems most of the members there, once they decided that their religion didn't stand up to scrutiny, morphed immediately into agnostics or atheists.)

....It's true, many many ex-Mo's seem to go full-bore atheist -- what's interesting is, when I googled ex-Lutheran (some time ago) nearly all the hits were from folks who had gone full-on Episcopalian, or some other Christian denomination.

How this relates to the Arndts is this: without a good theological base, a religious system has to rely on fear and threat and absolutism, no option for dialogue much less argument. So Mark - raised in the Church of Daddy - heard something "wrong" and was fine with going full-bore Arndtist.

I will say, there's one photo of the family during the Xmas-picture-taking event, where an adult son who's really pretty pleasing to the eye has the distinct look of HELP GET ME OUT OF HERE on his countenance. All the rest of the brood are looking to the official photographer's camera, this guy is looking over to whatever onlooker is taking photos of the photo-taking session. Free that one Arndt guy????

I will say, there's one photo of the family during the Xmas-picture-taking event, where an adult son who's really pretty pleasing to the eye has the distinct look of HELP GET ME OUT OF HERE on his countenance. All the rest of the brood are looking to the official photographer's camera, this guy is looking over to whatever onlooker is taking photos of the photo-taking session. Free that one Arndt guy????

Here's the photo - guy in red. Can't miss him.

famteam.com/today/images/thumbs/20130101_140257.jpg

Hmmm, son number 6 maybe? Anyone have a name on him?

That's Luke. I believe he's number 4 and he's the one I get a slight ping from.

He's had that look about him before. He was also the one who was obese as a teenager, and I'm sure that did sit well with his health-nut parents.

Free Luke Arndt!

That's Luke. I believe he's number 4 and he's the one I get a slight ping from.

He's had that look about him before. He was also the one who was obese as a teenager, and I'm sure that did sit well with his health-nut parents.

Free Luke Arndt!

Luke: start looking for a job NOW that doesn't involve your family so that you can get out and start your own life!

Archived