IGNORED

Ahh what is wrong with Fundies sometimes? Medical Stuff

homeschoolmomma1

I don't think this is necessarily a fundie thing. But it's certainly a stupid thing. I wouldn't go to the doc or the hospital for the cold I have now (bleah, first one in several years, I've been so stressed the last couple of months I think the bugs finally got through a chink in my immune system) but if I was running a temp of 103 with a spike to 105 (!!!!!) I sure as hell would.

When my stepdad was having bleeding from a duodenal ulcer once he nearly decided not to wake my mom up and drive himself to the hospital. He knew he needed to go, and stat, but he figured he could drive himself. While bleeding internally. He changed his mind for some reason though. Yeah, if he ever even thinks about that again, he's going to be in trouble. Some people have what I see as odd priorities concerning when or how to get medical care.

I agree with it being a stupid thing. Like when my MIL had two strokes and didn't go to the ER for three days because she didn't want to be a bother. It's a miracle she's as able as she is. And I must say, I have zero respect for people that don't take care of themselves or otherwise try to martyr themselves. It's such a selfish point of view- "Oh, I know I'm sick and need medical attention but I'm going to ride it out, even if I end up being a burden because I end up debilitated. At least I didn't trouble them to take me to the ER." Like my MIL can still take care of herself day to day but she had to take early retirement because she can't work anymore, has no medical insurance (as a result of early retirement) and can't drive anywhere on her own. So now the family has to drive her everywhere and pay for her medical care out of pocket.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like he is VERY dangerously ill. With a temp that high, he's likely delusional to an extent and unable to make proper decisions. At that point he's not really a capable adult able to give consent. The hospital/EMS probably has a duty to provide care then until he becomes capable. If I were this woman, I'd call EMS and insist that they take him to the hospital. I know this will be very controversial but, I'd actually consider giving him something like dimenhydrinate (dramamine) to sedate him, so when EMS comes, they'd just take him right away.

Nice headship btw. This guy could die and leave his family without his godly direction, but this doesn't seem to phase him.

Well we all know that doctors are the evil spawn of the big Pharma, right? (And who knows, they may even have something to do with the ebil govenment!) I mean, after all, they only went to school for 8+ years so they could rob us all blind and try to kill us with drugs. And hospitals are terrible places where Really Bad Things happen :roll:

So I guess, if they are fundie it doesn't surprise me why they wouldn't think of going to ER. I mean, really, let nature take it's course. :doh:

It sounds like he is VERY dangerously ill. With a temp that high, he's likely delusional to an extent and unable to make proper decisions. At that point he's not really a capable adult able to give consent. The hospital/EMS probably has a duty to provide care then until he becomes capable. If I were this woman, I'd call EMS and insist that they take him to the hospital. I know this will be very controversial but, I'd actually consider giving him something like dimenhydrinate (dramamine) to sedate him, so when EMS comes, they'd just take him right away.

Nice headship btw. This guy could die and leave his family without his godly direction, but this doesn't seem to phase him.

I'd have no trouble doing that if I thought it would result in appropriate medical treatment.

Controversial? How about crazy??? Dangerous???

Drugging someone is bad enough, but doing so and not informing EMS that he has the medication in his system, so that they'll assume he's unconscious because he's so sick? Really dangerous and stupid.

Not to mention, if he has a viral or bacterial infection, his respiratory system might already be compromised. Taking any medication that sedates can further depress the respiratory system.

Wow, I hope the guy in question will be okay and hopefully will go to the ER. If he passes out I hope his wife immediately calls for an ambulance instead of waiting to see if he wakes up!

On a side note, years ago, one of my sisters was home for the weekend (from college) and she was dealing with her second relapse with the flu. She was on various meds from the doctor but I will never forget sitting next to her on the sofa and talking with her. She complained about being hot and my Mom checked her temperature. It was 104.3. Holy Moley, we all panicked a bit and at that precise moment, my sister fainted against me. She was so hot that within the few seconds it took for my Dad to reach her and lift her in his arms to carry her out to the car, the clothing on my right side was incredibly damp. As Dad is heading for the car, Mom is calling the doctor. He actually was very calm and told us not to panic, that is was simply the germs making a last stand against the antibiotics. He prescribed her four tylenols to be taken immediately and four more in two hours. My Dad was unsure, but at that point my sister had awakened and we took another temperature and it was 104 now.

We followed the doctor's instructions and she was good as new within six hours. ER trip was averted. Now she did have some hilarious hallucinations (I'm sorry, they were :oops:) but she survived. The huge difference was that she was already under a doctor's care who knew exactly what was ailing her, so my parents trusted his advice. In this guy's case though, it's anyones guess what is causing his high temperature. I would suggest nagging him, but I don't think any fundie women (outside of Michelle in the privacy of her boudoir) worth their salt would do that. :(

Wow, I hope the guy in question will be okay and hopefully will go to the ER. If he passes out I hope his wife immediately calls for an ambulance instead of waiting to see if he wakes up!

On a side note, years ago, one of my sisters was home for the weekend (from college) and she was dealing with her second relapse with the flu. She was on various meds from the doctor but I will never forget sitting next to her on the sofa and talking with her. She complained about being hot and my Mom checked her temperature. It was 104.3. Holy Moley, we all panicked a bit and at that precise moment, my sister fainted against me. She was so hot that within the few seconds it took for my Dad to reach her and lift her in his arms to carry her out to the car, the clothing on my right side was incredibly damp. As Dad is heading for the car, Mom is calling the doctor. He actually was very calm and told us not to panic, that is was simply the germs making a last stand against the antibiotics. He prescribed her four tylenols to be taken immediately and four more in two hours. My Dad was unsure, but at that point my sister had awakened and we took another temperature and it was 104 now.

We followed the doctor's instructions and she was good as new within six hours. ER trip was averted. Now she did have some hilarious hallucinations (I'm sorry, they were :oops:) but she survived. The huge difference was that she was already under a doctor's care who knew exactly what was ailing her, so my parents trusted his advice. In this guy's case though, it's anyones guess what is causing his high temperature. I would suggest nagging him, but I don't think any fundie women (outside of Michelle in the privacy of her boudoir) worth their salt would do that. :(

If she had the flu, why was she on antibiotics?

Sorry Wolfie,

That's my own screwy lingo. I use the term antibiotics as a general coverage for any meds dealing with cold/flu. You are correct, she was on flu meds that were not antibiotics.

Sorry Wolfie,

That's my own screwy lingo. I use the term antibiotics as a general coverage for any meds dealing with cold/flu. You are correct, she was on flu meds that were not antibiotics.

I was just curious because there is an overuse of antibiotics in many areas. From what I understand anti-virals aren't very effective against the flu unless started early. In any case, as you know, influenza is not something to fool around with, and it's good that she'd been going to the doctor.

My headship will barely let me force tylenol down his throat when he's dying. He hasn't been to a doctor in over a decade. Even when we couldn't get pregnant he went directly to an andrology lab without visiting a doctor.

I am a certified EMT in my state. We are legally allowed to transport patients against their will if they are in an altered state, and it sounds as if this man is. She needs to call EMS NOW - that man is very, very ill. A fever that high in an adult is a sign of serious illness.

Controversial? How about crazy??? Dangerous???

Drugging someone is bad enough, but doing so and not informing EMS that he has the medication in his system, so that they'll assume he's unconscious because he's so sick? Really dangerous and stupid.

Not to mention, if he has a viral or bacterial infection, his respiratory system might already be compromised. Taking any medication that sedates can further depress the respiratory system.

Controversial? Perhaps. Dangerous? Unlikely! As a nurse, I'd say most people I've encountered have no adverse effects to dimendydrinate. I'd think that his wife would know whether or not he's previously had side effects or an allergic reaction to it.

We're talking about someone's spouse here, not a stranger or even a friend! Would I medicate my husband to make him a little more drowsy so that he'd be more compliant about getting medical help? ABSOLUTELY!!! Would I do the same thing to a friend? No! Not at all (but I'd definitely call EMS & let them decide). I would hope that my partner would do the same for me as well. I have a life-threatening illness that occasionally leads me to being incapable to consent to treatment. I would sincerely hope that anyone who cared about me enough would do all they could do to get me the proper medical care.

I would not let my husband die or become brain damaged because he was delirious!

And yes, obviously I would tell EMS exactly what medication I'd given him, when I'd given it, and what dose I'd given.

to update- I guess yestrerday his temp was 102 and one of the kids was going to walmart- I don't know what ever happened...

I think it's because they rely on minimal home remedies and pray that God will make them well again.

Thanks for the update. At least the fever dropped some (or they kept him on Tylenol).

Okay so a Fundie friend of mine posts this message

Hubby is really sick. 105.4 fever. Please pray for him.

Everyone says- take him to a doctor ASAP. She says she gave him Tylenol extra strength and temp went down to 103.4. Guess he isn't going to ER, She said he said NO!

Why does she just not take him to a doctor? I mean come on! Who cares if he refuses. Oh wait she is his helpmeet not his equal :roll:

But she has to be obedient and not force the headship into hospital. Just quietly wait out until he kicks the bucket so that she can put him where he belongs. Six feet under. :violin: I'm sorry but I would not stress over a "headship". Good riddance. Sorry again, I know how it sounds.

to update- I guess yestrerday his temp was 102 and one of the kids was going to walmart- I don't know what ever happened...

Several days of a high temperature can't be good for a person, especially when it was so high to start.

Yeah if my DH doesn't want to go to the doc, it's not exactly like I can forcibly make him, you know?

Only exception was when he smashed his thumb working outside with a hammer, and hadn't had a tetanus shot in years. I MADE him go on threat of never getting laid again.

While I think he is not acting very wisely, any partner attempting or actually forcing me to get medical treatment would be an EX partner within minutes. It' s not called "free will until you decide to do something I consider dangerous".

Every time my husband does something I think is dangerously stupid, I tell him I'm taking out more life insurance on him... then debate the merits of various vacations in Cabo.

He takes his Metformin now.

Every time my husband does something I think is dangerously stupid, I tell him I'm taking out more life insurance on him... then debate the merits of various vacations in Cabo.

He takes his Metformin now.

LOL. Note to self.

Gah, if my husband was refusing to go to the ER, sadly, I guess the only legal recourse would be to wait until I judge him close to having an altered mental state and call the ambulance. Still, I hope my hubby isn't that stupid!

I'm glad I won't have that problem with my SO. He's a respiratory therapist at the local hospital and part-time EMT, and his mom's a retired nurse.

It is not just fundies who balk at going to the doctor to get checked out - I've seen people from all walks of life decline to be assessed. Often denial and fear are at the heart of the problem.

It is not just fundies who balk at going to the doctor to get checked out - I've seen people from all walks of life decline to be assessed. Often denial and fear are at the heart of the problem.

My husband who has no real reason to be fearful is like this.

And frustrated by my general like and use of doctors.

Archived