IGNORED

Ahh what is wrong with Fundies sometimes? Medical Stuff

homeschoolmomma1

Okay so a Fundie friend of mine posts this message

Hubby is really sick. 105.4 fever. Please pray for him.

Everyone says- take him to a doctor ASAP. She says she gave him Tylenol extra strength and temp went down to 103.4. Guess he isn't going to ER, She said he said NO!

Why does she just not take him to a doctor? I mean come on! Who cares if he refuses. Oh wait she is his helpmeet not his equal :roll:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my husband refuses to go to the hospital there's little I can do to make him. I've called 911 before when he had a high fever and the paramedics would not take him without his consent. I eventually had to wait until he was seizing and called again, this time he was "altered" (postictal stage) and so they took him even though he didn't want to go.

I'm not the person on FB obviously, but if someone won't go to the hospital there are very few circumstances where you can make them.

Unfortunately, I think that if this woman's DH says he won't go to the ER, there is probably nothing she legally can do to force him to go as long as he is conscious and deemed capable of making that decision for himself. Even if she were to call an ambulance, I believe that if he refused to go, he couldn't be forced to go. Now if he were unconscious, that would be another matter.

That said, isn't 103.4 a possibly dangerously high temperature in an adult? I'm pretty sure 105.4 is. Bad judgment on their part not to at least get it checked out.

Or, what snarkbillie said.

I threathed to club mine over the head and drag him in when he refused to go. He was DNX with a collapsed lung.

I'd do it again if I had to.

I would assume by that high a temp a person is not thinking clearly. I would have just put him in the car and went. I realize he has to yes to going to the ER, but if it were my husband I would get him in the car and say we are going. Sorry.

His temp is going down and all her fundie friends think it is because they are praying. Yes, part of that may be but not 100% of it

My husband is about twice my size and three times as strong as me. There is no way for me to safely get him down the stairs, out the door, and into the car. Sorry. I'm not an internet super hero. I also don't threaten him with violence or even perpetrate violence on him. He's a grown ass human being who doesn't deserve abuse, even when he's being a bit of an idiot. There's a reason the paramedics won't take someone who doesn't consent, you know. It's called human rights or something, I can't quite remember.

Anyway, yeah, it's dumb not to go to the doctor when you're sick.

Yeah... I don't have a husband but I'm trying to imagine forcing my dad to go to the hospital if he was refusing. There's just no way I could do it. Arguing with him would never work. He's bigger and stronger than I am. If I tried to drag him, even if I could lift his weight, he would probably resist. If I thought his life was in danger I would call 911 and demand help, but that's really all I could do.

Okay so a Fundie friend of mine posts this message

Hubby is really sick. 105.4 fever. Please pray for him.

Everyone says- take him to a doctor ASAP. She says she gave him Tylenol extra strength and temp went down to 103.4. Guess he isn't going to ER, She said he said NO!

Why does she just not take him to a doctor? I mean come on! Who cares if he refuses. Oh wait she is his helpmeet not his equal :roll:

There are days when I quietly regret muscling the xman into the car for a trip to the hospital when he was having his heart attack, but that's me...

This just makes me mad. Fortunately my parents never had that problem. Granted, Daddy didn't run to the ER every time he had a low-grade fever or the sniffles, but when he felt very sick, he went to the doctor or ER. By BIL is the same way, and I hope my new SO is that way too.

Sometimes I wish I had somebody to get me to the ER. Every year to two years I get a migraine so bad that an ER or urgent care trip would get it under control a lot faster, but I would have to call somebody to get me there. Luckily I have doctors who have prescribed stuff that helps (anti nausea suppositories, injectable imitrex), but isn't as effective or quick as what a doctor could give me.

There are days when I quietly regret muscling the xman into the car for a trip to the hospital when he was having his heart attack, but that's me...

just wanted to add i heart experiencedd

The two times I've had a fever of 105 I wound up in the hospital (kidney infection and appendicitis). That man probably needs to go to the hospital, which God put right handy by for a reason!

Update- he is at home drinking the emergen c and having a hard time doing so. Sleeping a lot. He never is sick according to helpmeet.

I don't know... I don't just think it is a cold like she says... but I'm no doctor

Fever is also coming back

You can drag a child to the doctor, but it is a lot harder to get a grown man there against his will. And once you are there, if he is still conscious and coherent, and has not been declared incompetent, they cannot treat him withouct his consent, so the trip might not be worth it. I mean, one would hope that between home and hospital she would be able to get him to see sense, but....

105 F is an extremely dangerous temperature for an adult. It went down to 103 F because of the Tylenol. It will spike again. If I were her, I would not give him another dose of Tylenol. He will become delusional and THEN she can call an ambulance. Emergen C is like using a band-aid to hold back the ocean. He really is in a life threatening situation. :(

Like another poster, when I had a 105 F fever, I had a ruptured appendix that did not present in the classic way.

Update- he is at home drinking the emergen c and having a hard time doing so. Sleeping a lot. He never is sick according to helpmeet.

I don't know... I don't just think it is a cold like she says... but I'm no doctor

Fever is also coming back

He's likely seriously ill. The only way I got my husband to the doctor recently was to straight say to him "if this was me, and I had these symptoms what would your advice be?" and when he thought about it he knew he had to go. Maybe you could pass that advice along if you thought it would help?

103.3 reduced me to a shivering teeth chattering mess even with multiple layers of clothes and under multiple blankets, I think 105 would have killed me. Emergen-c isn't going to do a damn thing for the guy.

There have been similar situations like these on fundie blogs. Zsu's blog has a few incidents. Outside of the fundies, there are people who at times refuse medical care. There was a couple that lived next door to my parents a few years back. There was an incident where the wife refused medical care and it caused a huge fight and the police were called in. With the fundies, I think some refuse to get medical treatment in certain situations because of money and not having insurance.

:lol:

He's got a sustained fever of over 103 with a peak of 105, and she's fucking posting on FB? WTF? Seriously,I can't imagine this having a happy ending after two days of treating him with OTC meds.

I don't think this is necessarily a fundie thing. But it's certainly a stupid thing. I wouldn't go to the doc or the hospital for the cold I have now (bleah, first one in several years, I've been so stressed the last couple of months I think the bugs finally got through a chink in my immune system) but if I was running a temp of 103 with a spike to 105 (!!!!!) I sure as hell would.

When my stepdad was having bleeding from a duodenal ulcer once he nearly decided not to wake my mom up and drive himself to the hospital. He knew he needed to go, and stat, but he figured he could drive himself. While bleeding internally. He changed his mind for some reason though. Yeah, if he ever even thinks about that again, he's going to be in trouble. Some people have what I see as odd priorities concerning when or how to get medical care.

Well, I guess this is what happens when you have such a piss-poor relationship with your husband that he refuses to listen to you when you say he needs medical attention. Not surprising given the lack of respect fundie men have for their wives.

Archived