IGNORED

Making the rounds in my Facebook feed: sacrificing for kids

Hane

Making the rounds in my Facebook feed:

Children shouldn't have to sacrifice so that you can have the life you want. You make sacrifices so your children can have the life that they deserve.

It made me think of the fundies we follow. All too often, without consciously realizing it, they're insisting on living the life they want (rather than an objectively worthwhile life) and sacrificing their kids' lives in the process. And their kids are missing out on the lives they deserve.

Parents and children are all living their lives as best they can, and while parents have an obligation to provide for their kids, they are also entitled to pursue their own lives and their own happiness.

Families sacrifice to support each other.

Making the rounds in my Facebook feed:

It made me think of the fundies we follow. All too often, without consciously realizing it, they're insisting on living the life they want (rather than an objectively worthwhile life) and sacrificing their kids' lives in the process. And their kids are missing out on the lives they deserve.

This. When you have more kids than you can afford, you are doing a disservice to your children in pursuit of your own wants and needs.

This is what a lot of the fundies are forgetting-sometimes they need to think about whats best for their kids, not what they want.

Even though theyd love to have eleventy billion kids, most of the time, its doing their kids a great disservice-like the kids are the ones who have to share a small room with 6 siblings because their parents cant afford a bigger house. Theyre missing out because theyre not having as much time spent with their parents as a child in a normal household does, and the teenagers are missing out as they have to raise their siblings instead of spending time with friends.

The fundie lifestyle is not the best for kids, considering they have no options in life-they dont get to form their own opinions, cant live their dreams, and are pretty much forced into a box that might not fit. Part of being a parent is letting your kids grow up and waiting to see what kind of people they become-not fitting them into a personality and ambition depending on what genitals they have.

This is especially true with the biggest families. I think it would be possible to look after about 8-10 children with a decent sized age gap between oldest and youngest, and still give them all of these things (as long as you have the income to give them food and clothes and have a house that is big enough for the family, and had the kids cause they like kids, not cause they have no choice), but I think having 20 kids is extreme and I dont think anyone could be able to look after all of them and give them all everything that a normal kid would have.

Archived