IGNORED

Wives with Beehives

brigita

Pardon me if this has already been snarked on here. I am a dedicated lurker of this website, however, and haven't seen it mentioned (also ran a search and nothing came up). This is some kind of special (possibly a series) on TLC about wives who looove living like its the 1950's and go on about how great things were back then, how stable families were, men were so great... blah blah.

I know our lovely fundies think that the 50's were amazing and evidently so do these ladies, despite the fact that they were all born well after that time. I will admit that I am interested in the time period and love the clothes and hairstyles from it, but goodness, these women are kidding themselves if they really think everything was so idyllic in the 50's.

I just want to hand them each a copy of Stephanie Coontz's "The Way We Never Were"! This is kind of horrifying. Has anyone else seen this show?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the commercials for it and was totally going to watch it but got distracted! What was the deal with these women-do they really truly live as if they're in the 50's?

I saw the commercials for it and was totally going to watch it but got distracted! What was the deal with these women-do they really truly live as if they're in the 50's?

They have a seriously warped view of what the 50s were. Someone made comments about how the 1950s were a happy, relaxed time, and my reaction was just kind of :roll: :shock: The "new girl" is a pin up model, and she seemed to really only be into the aesthetic, but the two main characters were in desperate need of some primary documents or at least an old yearbook. They were more rockabilly than anything, and I think the complaining about "modern" lack of civility and machinery was just ignorant sounding. There was another person who didn't get a lot of screen time, but I think she was more into the trappings.

They didn't really address the gender issues, other than a few "ladylike" comments. The daughter who hated wearing fancy clothes was probably the best thing in the episode. Someone else said she liked "homemade" things and cooking from scratch (while holding a bag of hamburger buns), which made me think she had never opened a 1950s cookbook.

That said, I had hoped this show was going to be more about things like, how long does a high-maintenance aesthetic take? How do you find clothes and vintage furniture? Do you ever feel conflicted about your lifestyle? How do you research your look? Kind of basic topics, really, but far more interesting than the Real Housewives of Retro.

Nope. Haven't seen the show or any commercials for it. Aaand, thank f+@k for that! I'd probably puke on my (new) TV. Sounds annoying and repulsive. TLC is the epitome of everything that is wrong with television. Hello!....Toddlers in Tiaras? Oh, and I guess I don't need to mention 19KAC here.

Just finished watching it. I hope it stay a special and does not become a series. I think thee women are more in love with how they think the fifties were and not so much the actual decade. One thing I noticed in the opening was a Frigidaire Flair range. Those stoves came out in the mid-60s and not in the 50s. I wonder if all the women wear girdles or garter belts and stockings. That was one secret to the smaller size of American women in the Fifties. Well that, and generous use of diet pills. Those women need a good dose of Betty Friedan and it couldn't hurt for them to thoughtfully view Mona Lisa Smile either.

Where does TLC come up with this crap?

I don't know, but I have a suspicion that TLC borrowed an idea from a BBC show and just set it in California. This is based on nothing other than precedent.

Also? I object to the title of the show because no one had a beehive! There was a deflated Veronica Lake sideswoop, some victory rolls, a moderately bouffantish 'do, and an updo involving a lot of pin curls. Don't get me wrong, I love the aesthetic and find the era incredibly fascinating, but there was so much wrong that I was stuck between wtf and secondhand embarrassment.

Another highlight was when one of the women went to a fitness bootcamp in jeans, kind of like a bobbysoxer, and the instructor called her "Rosie the Riveter." She said there wasn't a lot of exercise clothing at the time, which is not correct. There might not have been a lot to choose from, but there definitely was fitness clothing--ask anyone who had to dress out for gym in high school.

Just finished watching it. I hope it stay a special and does not become a series. I think thee women are more in love with how they think the fifties were and not so much the actual decade. One thing I noticed in the opening was a Frigidaire Flair range. Those stoves came out in the mid-60s and not in the 50s. I wonder if all the women wear girdles or garter belts and stockings. That was one secret to the smaller size of American women in the Fifties. Well that, and generous use of diet pills. Those women need a good dose of Betty Friedan and it couldn't hurt for them to thoughtfully view Mona Lisa Smile either.

Or even freaking Pleasantville.

Another thing--I think their look was also derived from the conservative, Eisenhower sort of lines, very middle America. Nothing wrong with that, but it seemed vaguely incongruous that they were talking about the midcentury modern lines of the house and Heywood Wakefield furniture. The sort of look they were going for would have been more ranch houses with colonial furniture. Obviously, people can do what they please with their lives, but it was a bit irksome that they had this random checklist that made them different and speshul: bullet bras, cat's eye glasses, and a passing acquaintanceship with kitschy Americana websites.

edited for better word choice

Watched it. Thought it was dumb as hell, thank you very much. I wear my hair in victory rolls and pin curls, but usually only when I'm going to a concert or some other special occasion. It's part of the psychobilly aesthetic for me. Mostly, because I'm kinda lazy. Oh, and the fact I really don't want to live in an era when I wouldn't have been treated like an equal person. As much as I love kitsch, I enjoy living in the decade I do.

I saw a little of it and thought it was dumb. My hairdresser is a total rockabilly throwback to the 50's and so is her daughter, but they are also well aware that the 50's were not the picture perfect time a lot of people imagine it was. They dress like that every day and their house is all done in mid century furniture. A lot of their clothes are from then50's as well...they go to thrift shops all the time. I have a reputation at work for looking pinup/rockabilly. I wear my hair in victory rolls once in awhile, but I always have hair flowers or bows...if I don't people ask me where they are. I have a certain style of dress, but it's not totally 50's. think Lisa Loeb or Zooey Deschenel.

I'm sure my grandma would love to sit them down and give them a reality check. My grandma was so happy and relaxed she hid bottles of booze around the house and smoked like a chimney. Yeah, totally stress free lifestyle.

Pardon me if this has already been snarked on here. I am a dedicated lurker of this website, however, and haven't seen it mentioned (also ran a search and nothing came up). This is some kind of special (possibly a series) on TLC about wives who looove living like its the 1950's and go on about how great things were back then, how stable families were, men were so great... blah blah.

I know our lovely fundies think that the 50's were amazing and evidently so do these ladies, despite the fact that they were all born well after that time. I will admit that I am interested in the time period and love the clothes and hairstyles from it, but goodness, these women are kidding themselves if they really think everything was so idyllic in the 50's.

I just want to hand them each a copy of Stephanie Coontz's "The Way We Never Were"! This is kind of horrifying. Has anyone else seen this show?

That book sounds awesome. I went straight to amazon, but unfortunately it's not on kindle (neither are her other books) so unless I can find it on iBooks (unlikely) I wont get to read it. I really want to though, maybe even enough to make me buy a paper copy.

I love the old fashioned dresses, shoes and cardigans they wore, I find them adorable. But screw the hair. I wear my hair in a ponytail or a bun.

My mama had a beehive hairdo. When my sis and I were teens she looked at those pics with a "WTF was I thinking" look. But honestly, she could rock that hairdo because it wasn't gigantically huge. She was also a beautician, who's speciality was beehive hairdos.

I wonder if all the women wear girdles or garter belts and stockings. That was one secret to the smaller size of American women in the Fifties. Well that, and generous use of diet pills.

When I became old enough to wear sheer hose (aka "nylons") back in 1965, EVERYBODY wore panty girdles. Those damn things were hardcore, and often went hand-in-hand with their evil twin, the long-line bra. We all used to come home after a long, miserable day of garter tabs digging into our thighs and boning rubbing into our "midriffs" and shuck the damn things off in ecstasy.

We were in seventh heaven when, with the advent of the miniskirt, pantyhose came into being. Many women my age (60+) still feel so happy about pantyhose (Smooth line! No extra uncomfy garments to wear!) that we're a tad surprised that younger women hate them so.

It was even better when, in 1970, our town's school dress code was revised, and we girls could wear pants--even jeans--to school. No more worrying about whether we had a non-runny pair of stockings to wear! Ahh, the comfort of jeans and sneakers. Screw what "they" say about the negative effects of a liberalized school dress code on academics: When I got to wear jeans instead of "dressing up" for school, I got the highest grades of my life.

[/end old-lady historical rant]

I thought nylons were the same as pantyhose. What is a "long-line bra"?

If it restricted your breathing no wonder they thought women weren't athletic. I wore pants that were too tight by accident once and nearly passed out.

When people romanticize the 50s, I think they out to read The Bell Jar or Revolutionary Road. The good ol' times when not comforming to the norm or suffering from depression could mean ending up locked up and losing all your rights.

That book sounds awesome. I went straight to amazon, but unfortunately it's not on kindle (neither are her other books) so unless I can find it on iBooks (unlikely) I wont get to read it. I really want to though, maybe even enough to make me buy a paper copy.

I highly recommend it. It is a fascinating read. Just the other night, one of my friends said, "Wouldn't it have been cool to live in the 50's?" After reading this book, I felt it was my obligation to let her know that the 50's would not have been a nice time for us to live at all. And I had facts to back up my claim!

I lent my copy of this book to a friend almost two years ago which was a mistake! She has moved twice since "borrowing" it and hasn't mentioned that she still has my book so I guess I lost my copy. I will eventually buy another one though.

I also thought the title of the show was a little off since no one on it was sporting a beehive. But I would love to learn how to style hair the way they do.

I thought nylons were the same as pantyhose. What is a "long-line bra"?

Oh, you sweet, lucky young thing, who was never subjected to such torture. Presented for your approval: the long line bra. Except ours were way less smooth and comfortable-feeling, and contained boning. Because God forbid you didn't have a wasp waist.

"Nylons" were two individual stockings held up by garter tabs via panty girdle or garter belt. Imagine wearing those not for kinky funtimes, but Every. Damn. Day.

When I was in junior high (1965-66), there were two girls who wore ginormous beehives, which no doubt took tremendous amounts of work every day. One of them teased her hair up so high you could see through it. My snarky friend and I called her "The-Girl-With-The-Hair-Too-Big." :wink:

[...there definitely was fitness clothing--ask anyone who had to dress out for gym in high school.

"gymsuit", white sneakers, white socks...

Talk about bad memories, especially the gymsuit.

It's a takeoff of a show previously done in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042702/Time-Warp-Wives-Meet-women-really-live-past.html

And yeah, they're just living a fantasy. Life wasn't idyllic, duh, or no one would have desired change. I think Mad Men does a much better job of illustrating what was happening in the early 60's. The thing was, now we know immediately what happens all over the world. Back then, information moved much slower. While you waited, you baked buns and made jam. :lol:

Let me know if you find a link to the show online. I'd love to watch it when my kid is napping, while the Roomba does the vacuuming. ;)

"Nylons" were two individual stockings held up by garter tabs via panty girdle or garter belt. Imagine wearing those not for kinky funtimes, but Every. Damn. Day.

... and more bad memories ...

If you were lucky and very careful, you might get 3 days out of those stockings before you had a run.

Dear God - I just had a flashback to gym class in 1962 and having to wear one of these:

http://www.loti.com/then_now/Gym_Unifor ... nd_60s.htm

I had to wear them until around 1969 when a black gymnastic leotard became an acceptable substitute.

Can you imagine having to do field hockey where the boys could watch wearing those awful blue jumpers? ARGH!

There is a Kindle version, at least in the U.S. - I have "The Way We Never Were" and "The Way We Really Are" on my Kindle.

Eww....I hate nylons. I will not wear them..not even for sexy times with my SO. I also hate pantyhose as much as dresses. When I have to wear a dress or skirt, I make sure they are long enough that I can wear knee-hi stockings (and hide my hideous knee scars. During warm/not weather I got bare legged. Oh, and I only wear dresses and skirts when absolutely necessary. I won't even wear them to church.

When I'm exercising, I always wear loose fitting knit pants and a t-shirt. That's more comfortable for me than yoga clothes, shorts, or sweats. I also never wear a sports bra by itself. None of them can support my naturally huge boobs. I can also never find a long line bra that that fits right. I think I need to find a department store with a good sales associate who knows how to measure for a good fitting bra.

Archived