IGNORED

What Happened To Rifqa Bary?

debrand

Rifqa Bary was the teenager who converted to Christianity and ran away from her Muslim parents. She claimed that her father would kill her for her conversion. I've always wondered if she was telling the truth or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifqa

I can't find anything recent about her but Wikipedia did have interesting history on the case. For example, Rifqa said that her parents did not know she was a cheerleader but her dad signed the permission slip. The family, according to police, also had her cheerleading photos on the wall.

Whether she just exaggerated or was lying about her homelife, I honestly don't know. However, I don't know why she'd keep up this charade so long if she was lying.

I couldn't find anything up to date about her. Does anyone know what happened to her?

Hmmm... take religion out of the equation.

A young girl was brainwashed at 13 years old into joining a group her family may not approve of. Then, at 16 or 17 years old, after communicating with adults from a similar group, she ran away from home to go live with said adults, and gave false information for why she did so (the cheerleading thing, which was a lie, was used to bolster her accusation that her parents were so strict she'd be in danger by converting)

If any other 16 year old girl were to be given a ticket under an assumed name to run away and go live with some adult man (and his wife) who has been talking with underage girls on Facebook, I'd assume something fishy was going on. I think the religious cover is just that- a cover.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/05/ ... _canc.html

According to this she has uterine cancer. Uterine cancer is typically not a cancer a young woman, much less a teenager, gets so whether this is true or not I don't know.

This article claims she's been cured of her cancer by attending a faith healing.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... erapy.html

Hmmm... take religion out of the equation.

A young girl was brainwashed at 13 years old into joining a group her family may not approve of. Then, at 16 or 17 years old, after communicating with adults from a similar group, she ran away from home to go live with said adults, and gave false information for why she did so (the cheerleading thing, which was a lie, was used to bolster her accusation that her parents were so strict she'd be in danger by converting)

If any other 16 year old girl were to be given a ticket under an assumed name to run away and go live with some adult man (and his wife) who has been talking with underage girls on Facebook, I'd assume something fishy was going on. I think the religious cover is just that- a cover.

I agree the religion thing is just a cover. And I don't believe she had cancer. It supposedly had only a 5% survival rate yet she was cured by faith.

There were questions about her immigration status once she turned 18, which was 2 years ago. I cant find anything recent about where she is.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/05/rifqa_bary_suffering_from_canc.html

According to this she has uterine cancer. Uterine cancer is typically not a cancer a young woman, much less a teenager, gets so whether this is true or not I don't know.

This article claims she's been cured of her cancer by attending a faith healing.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... erapy.html

I too found the story iffy, but this is the sort of thing that makes my opinion of someone plummet. Faith healing my foot.

I agree the religion thing is just a cover. And I don't believe she had cancer. It supposedly had only a 5% survival rate yet she was cured by faith.

There were questions about her immigration status once she turned 18, which was 2 years ago. I cant find anything recent about where she is.

Actually, I don't know that the family was ever immigrating to the USA. They had come to the US to get medical help--for Rifqa. (Not sure why.)

The last I heard, she was being trotted out by Lou Engle (of "Jesus Camp" fame) but that would have been back in 2010. For all we know, she could have married some guy, changed her name to Rita and is living somewhere in Florida. Or California.

The articles about her illness are confusing. Apparently, her lawyers told the court that she was ill and needed residency status to continue with medicare. I would imagine that the lawyers must have given evidence to the judge. Her doctors said she needed a hysterectomy and she refused. Now she is healed. It's a bizarre story

She was cured of her cancer by faith healing and doesn't need chemotherapy. But she DOES need immigration status in order to stay in the country for "medical treatment". Hypocrisy much?

Actually, I don't know that the family was ever immigrating to the USA. They had come to the US to get medical help--for Rifqa. (Not sure why.)

The last I heard, she was being trotted out by Lou Engle (of "Jesus Camp" fame) but that would have been back in 2010. For all we know, she could have married some guy, changed her name to Rita and is living somewhere in Florida. Or California.

There was something wrong with her eye. Doctors in Sri Lanka wanted to remove it, the family sought other options in the US.

Faux News reported she turned 18 in August 2010, and since in the US once you're 18 your parents have no legal power over you, guess the story's over.

I always found the story fishy. And once the media was involved, she couldn't really back down on her story. As someone said, remove the religion issue. Girl falls in with older guy, who encourages her to sneak around behind her parents' backs, and they threaten to send her away from him, and she runs away. As for those who claimed that they wanted to send her to Sri Lanka so that she could be "honor killed" without any scrutiny, Sri Lanka is mainly Buddhist.

Archived