IGNORED

Christmas with the Duggars

homeschoolmomma1

OMG I am rewatching the 19 kids and counting Christmas Episode on Youtube. You have to be kidding me? They buy from good will for Christmas? Don't they make tons of money from TLC. I'm not against goodwill. but really? Is that only for the Cameras?

Also, Looking back at the old Christmas' when there were less kids seems nicer. They were not nuts then I guess

You can watch it here

A Fundie friend posted this on Facebook... grrrr I think it is rude. I'm sorry, but if my family wants to celbrate the ebil pagan holiday of Christmas- We will!

FWIW, I generally take my kids to Goodwill every year for their sibling gifts. It's cheaper than brand-new stuff. The sibling gift situation is a bit insane anyway. If I can't get them to Goodwill, then we go to the dollar store. Over the years, they learn to budget, to make things by hand and to save from their own allowance and labor. However, we still take the littles to Goodwill. It allows them to not break the bank, to have more variety than a dollar store would have and to support a good charity that provides jobs for disabled individuals and I can support without misgivings.

That said, no we don't get the big presents for the kids from Goodwill. That's just MEAN imo.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Good Will. It just seems out of Character for them now. My little kids shop at the dollar stores for their siblings gifts

We do second hand gifts quite a bit and I don't see anything wrong with it ~ kids grow out and get bored with stuff quickly and buying second hand not only saves money but also reduces the amount of things that eventually end up in a landfill somewhere.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Good Will. It just seems out of Character for them now. My little kids shop at the dollar stores for their siblings gifts

Funny that you chose to bold the word "Character" given its prominence in Gothard doctrine. While "Buy used and save the difference" itself isn't one of the 49 Character Traits, I'm sure "Thrift" is. They've shown that they are still tightwads (while taping and ostensibly "buying" something), but are more than willing to take all the freebies that TLC hands them. Not really charity since they're being PAID to go on those lavish trips, staying in hotels and going to locales most of us can only dream of.

They sure as hell aren't sewing their clothes anymore. I imagine they get a lot of their stuff at Wally World, but then again, they're not the only ones. Still thrifty as far as that goes, but the designer baby/toddler clothes were bought brand new and worn in-season. Of course, they could have been gifts, but I have my doubts. Definitely more "thrift" going on with the boys' clothes than the girls' these days. Even Mullet is sporting new duds. Ugly new duds, but at least a change of pace from the green and blue polos and long black skirts.

Is it some kind of status thing to just get gifts from Goodwill? I almost always get what I need/from Good Will or free cycle, but Christmas is different. Took "my" kids to buy for the kids across the street and they picked out Hello Kitty and Disney Princesses for their neighbor. I don't see the problem.

Even though they only got one gift for one sibling (like Secret Santa, but not, because I guess Santa takes away from Jesus) Jinger can't remember who she got it for. Way to be personal!

"Mom" talks about how hard it must be for the children to be away from her while she takes care of Baby Josie... all the while, the kids are smiling and going on like normal.

:roll:

Is it some kind of status thing to just get gifts from Goodwill? I almost always get what I need/from Good Will or free cycle, but Christmas is different. Took "my" kids to buy for the kids across the street and they picked out Hello Kitty and Disney Princesses for their neighbor. I don't see the problem.

My besties and I always do GW for Xmas. We happen to find wonderful deals on some really hot rod stuff during the year and buy it for the holiday. Last year I got one pal an incredible red kidskin Ann Taylor jacket (maybe I payed $15 for it) and she found me a lovely chunky sterling silver bracelet from Mexico circa 1950. We do appreciate these treasures that range from antique diner plates to oriental rugs. It's how we roll. :D

FWIW, I generally take my kids to Goodwill every year for their sibling gifts. It's cheaper than brand-new stuff. The sibling gift situation is a bit insane anyway. If I can't get them to Goodwill, then we go to the dollar store. Over the years, they learn to budget, to make things by hand and to save from their own allowance and labor. However, we still take the littles to Goodwill. It allows them to not break the bank, to have more variety than a dollar store would have and to support a good charity that provides jobs for disabled individuals and I can support without misgivings.

That said, no we don't get the big presents for the kids from Goodwill. That's just MEAN imo.

How the fuck is it "MEAN" to buy your kids presents, regardless of where they are from? I've found brand new designer label items for 3.99 at GW, next to brand new Old Navy items priced at 10.99. (HINT, I bought the still tagged Vera Bradley purse over the still tagged Old Navy purse). Not to mention that if your kids think it's mean that you bought them a present, I think you have bigger problems.

I kind of get where Chaotic Life is coming from.

I grew up with almost everything coming to us second hand one way or the other. It was special that at Christmas I got brand new stuff, just for me, the same as what other kids had, not what they had a few years ago. It meant a lot to me, and my parents sacrificed and worked very hard to make sure it could happen.

I do think that a family as materially comfortable as the Duggars could get their kids something new and exciting to celebrate the birth of their saviour. Unless that kid preferred vintage, like Experiencedd and her friends.

How the fuck is it "MEAN" to buy your kids presents, regardless of where they are from? I've found brand new designer label items for 3.99 at GW, next to brand new Old Navy items priced at 10.99. (HINT, I bought the still tagged Vera Bradley purse over the still tagged Old Navy purse). Not to mention that if your kids think it's mean that you bought them a present, I think you have bigger problems.

This year I bough Moss Fart two sets of sheets, one bamboo knit deep pockets and another set German flannel deep pockets, both new with tags. $12.99 a set. New I'd be kicking down at least $50 a set, $75 for the German flannel. There is a certain joy to finding a good deal at the GW. It also meant that I saved enough on that purchase to buy her some excellent SAS shoes for work at a local shoe store (on sale 1/2 price, so I bought her two pairs.)

When I was a kid, if it didn't come from my grandparents then it came from the thrift store or a missionary barrel, plain and simple.

I do shop thift stores and I do so without a concern. However, I dont buy my kids main Christmas presents second hand. Sorry, not going to do it. Children who are not isolated by homeschooling are going to understand the difference between brand-new and thrift store. IMO, the time to appreciate a good bargain is when I go combing the stores with my child, not when they are opening their presents from under the tree. They don't need to know if I watched for sales online and at the store to get their presents, but they do need to know that they are important enough that I sought what was good for them and not merely what I was confined to finding should it show up at a thrift store.

Children who are not isolated by homeschooling are going to understand the difference between brand-new and thrift store.

....and?

My non-isolated public school kids had a fabulous Christmas ~ second hand mixed with new. Do they know the difference? Yes. Do they care? Nope. They're thankful for gifts, end stop.

My kids get all my presents from the thrift store. They don't just buy "whatever" they look around and find something I would like. If they can't find anything that day they just don't buy anything. I don't mind my "used" presents, because there's no reason to buy some things new. Underwear? Yes. Shoes? Absolutely. Coffee mug? I don't care.

My kids get 3 presents every year. 1 that I make, 1 that their dad makes, and 1 that is from the store. They're not traumatized or abused by this.

People are so materialistic and I just don't understand it.

Look I'm not trying to start a fight the whole idea is that I think the duggars do it for show. I mean in the very early days they went to walmart for gifts and now suddenly it is Good Will. Fine if that is what they want to do, I just don't really think they are as poor as they want their viewers to think.

If anyone wants to buy thrift store items that is fine- I do so myself with the little kids because they get bored of them so quick. I do also shop dollar stores. Please don't get the idea that I want my kids to have the latest and greatest. I just wanted to have this thread about how the Duggars seem to be changing their Christmas ways.

they also don't really put up a Christmas tree anymore at TTH.

My kids get 3 presents every year. 1 that I make, 1 that their dad makes, and 1 that is from the store. They're not traumatized or abused by this

Seriously. If there's one seemingly pervasive attitude on this site that I don't understand it's that people seem to think that kids deserve some massive Christmas that somehow fits everyone else's ideas about what Christmas needs to be. No. the holidays are different for everyone, and that's ok. It is not abuse to give your children a ~non-traditional~ Christmas or simply not do it at all. Not abuse, not the end of the world, certainly not mean. :whistle: had to get it off my chest.

Look I'm not trying to start a fight the whole idea is that I think the duggars do it for show. I mean in the very early days they went to walmart for gifts and now suddenly it is Good Will. Fine if that is what they want to do, I just don't really think they are as poor as they want their viewers to think.

If anyone wants to buy thrift store items that is fine- I do so myself with the little kids because they get bored of them so quick. I do also shop dollar stores. Please don't get the idea that I want my kids to have the latest and greatest. I just wanted to have this thread about how the Duggars seem to be changing their Christmas ways.

they also don't really put up a Christmas tree anymore at TTH.

They sure have changed quite dramatically in appearance since they first moved into the TTH. No more long denim skirts, for one thing.

Yeah, I don't get how it is "mean" either. Am I the only one who doesn't tell their kid what stores the presents are from? My son doesn't know that his Nintendo DS was a refurbished model from GameStop - which I guess is the equivalent of buying it at Goodwill. All he knows and cares about is that he got a DS. And if he did find out and was upset that it was refurbished instead of brand new, then I would feel like a failure as a parent for not teaching him to be grateful. I was at the local Goodwill a few days ago, and there were a lot of people buying presents. I suppose they are "mean," too, for shopping within their means and buying their loved ones used things.

I love shopping at our used bookstore. I definitely gave used books this year as gifts and was able to buy lots more than I could if they were new. The recipient, a 5 year old, doesn't care if they are new or used. I think buying within one's means is more popular now with the current economy and I think it's a good idea.

Goodwill is my store of choice these days. My family knows where I do most of my shopping, and I always let them know if a gift came from the thrifts. So far they don't seem to mind. I bought several gifts there this year, including an unopened Mega Blocks/Lego-style set for my husband (a Harley-Davidson motorcycle--owning a real one is on his bucket list :lol:) and a couple of brand-new, never worn knit tops for my mother. I also found season 1 of The Walking Dead for my daughter, and a set of Vera Bradley travel/cosmetic bags with the original tags still attached. There were four pieces in the set, and the set was $4.00. One went to my mom, one to my grandmother, and the other two I kept for myself. ;) Oh, and last week I was at our secondhand DVD/video game shop, and I found the first three seasons of The West Wing for $7 a season. That's my mother's all time favourite show, so I snapped them up quick. There's no way in hell I could have afforded to buy them new.

I like receiving thrift store gifts, too. My daughter's best friend gave me a piece of vintage Pyrex she found at the thrift store--she knows I collect it and took the time to find something I would really like.

I think the point is not that it's generally mean to buy presents at a thrift store, but rather that it could be so in the case of the Duggars. The Duggars have demonstrated that they are not as thrifty as they have advertised themselves, but yet they did their Christmas shopping at a thrift store, perhaps to build up that image, but likely without any of the care that other people put into it. Somehow I doubt the parents know enough about each of their children to be able to pick through everything for something right for just that child.

Archived