IGNORED

A Noble Calling Blog

dairyfreelife

New blog from a SAHD

A godly woman-

-is committed to God's order of headship.

-has a meek and quiet spirit.

-has a servant heart.

-considers homemaking and mothering a holy calling.

-makes her home a comfortable haven.

-avoids calling attention to her physical beauty.

So what types of things does an at home daughter do and what are some things that she should be learning?

I love these lists.

- cook/bake

- clean house

- learn how to sew, quilt, crochet, knit, etc.

- gardening

- menu planning

- learn how to care for children

- help with the homeschooling of younger siblings

- learn about grocery shopping and budgeting

- laundry and care for clothes, linens, etc.

- help with family business/ errands if necessary

- showing hospitality

- church activities

Okay, as a working woman who is also a full time college student (one semester left and I'll be a college graduate-super excited about it too), I do almost everything on her list all the time or I already know how to do it (minus knitting and quilting, but I can crochet and I don't go to church.

anoblecallingblog.blogspot.com/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, as a working woman who is also a full time college student (one semester left and I'll be a college graduate-super excited about it too), I do almost everything on her list all the time or I already know how to do it (minus knitting and quilting, but I can crochet and I don't go to church.

OMG this so much! I went through her list and was like, "Yeah, and?" And I actually have my own home, a spouse, and a kid. She's still practicing. And I was a full time student until earlier this week (YAY!). That's what I don't get about these SAHDs. I had most of these skills mastered before leaving for college at 18.

And congrats on being almost done with college! :dance:

This is what gets me! I'm also a full time university student, and I also do almost everything on that list, without a second thought. My mother, who usually worked when I was growing up, also did all that stuff. I EVEN MANAGE TO GO TO CHURCH. When you throw in the fact that so many of these fundie women seem woefully ignorant and unskilled in things such as basic nutrition, budgeting, etc., their whole argument really falls apart. What are they doing at home all day if they're not developing these skills that they supposedly prize so highly?

Hmmm... let's see how this queer, atheist, full-time-working, until-recently-full-time-student gal scores:

- cook/bake

I can definitely cook. And am actually quite good at it, if I do say so myself.

- clean house

I am capable of doing cleaning. I just don't like to. Quality may suffer as a result.

Sew, crochet, knit, and needlepoint, bitch. Count it.

- gardening

I don't have one because the outdoors and I are not good friends, but I'm willing to bet I've done a lot more research on gardening than most agorophobes or SAHD.

- menu planning

I dream in lists and plan, girly.

I've got a large cat carrier and some chicken nuggets, I think I'd be alright.

What if you don't have younger siblings?

Refer back to the menu planning.

Refer back to the house cleaning.

Well, I actually work for a living and I guess even a corporation is somebody's family's business.

- showing hospitality

Neighborhood cats think I'm the best hostess around.

- church activities

Okay, you got me there. You finally found something I don't give a damn to learn how to do.

I'd like to see just how this makes a girl a "godly woman". Did I miss a passage in the bible where the All Mighty says "Homeschool your kids or else?"

- cook/bake

I pretty much split that work with the other household members though I am pretty good at it.

- clean house

Pretty much a necessity.

I know how to sew, quilt, and sort of embroider. So what exactly does it have to do with being Godly?

- gardening

Pretty much split for all of us involved.

- menu planning

Eat what's for dinner or starve.

Both parties really need to learn how to do this. What my mom used to say: "if you're going to kill each other go do it outside!"

Brother Claddagh: "Yeaaaaaaaaah...not happening."

Pretty much a responsibility for all parties involved.

Also a basic necessity for both parties to learn.

It's important for everyone to do that.

- showing hospitality

Have you met the neighborhood cats around here lady? They practically climb all over me when I come outside!

- church activities

Not a Mormon/Baptist/Catholic which the major churches around here are sooooo....

Oh this poor little sheep...

A lot of people do not know or understand what a stay at home daughter is or what she does all day "at home". This post is written as an explanation of what a stay at home daughter is, the purpose for staying at home, and just to tell a little more about stay at home daughters.

For me, a stay at home daughter is a young lady who has completed her formal education and has decided to go down a path that is very countercultural and rare in our world today. She is continuing her education at home- that of preparing to be a wife, mother, keeper of her home, and helpmeet to her future husband, should that be the Lord's will and plan for her life.

Da fuq? Formal education? You mean the home economics you refer to on december 20?

When I was in high school, I took Home Economics. I loved it so much, I took it twice in 9th and 10th grade!!! (with two different homeschooling curriculums) The first one I used was Christian Light Education.

Was laundry really that challenging that you needed an extra "semester" in folding? I see your Chocolate Cream Pie recipe is really fucking complicated. I think you should take the "class" again so you can COOK SOMETHING WITHOUT A FUCKING MICROWAVE.

Anywhoo...

May we all strive to become a godly woman. May our lives bring Him glory and honor. We will never be perfect and we will always make mistakes, but with His help and grace, we can become the type of lady that He desires and created us to be.

Yes, yes you can be the type of lady that you were created to be. One with a fucking thought in her head and an opinion about whatever you damn please. Step away from the microwave and start using your brain for things that dont involve training to be an automaton.

I have eight children. The youngest two have not yet been taught all of these skills. However, ALL of the other six have in fact been trained on *gasp* ALL of her list of skills, regardless of their gender.

One boy loves to knit and crossstich. One girl loves to crochet and sew. The others refuse to do any of them BUT could repair a hole or sew a button which is all that I consider survival skills. Only two are homeschooled now, but the olders are still required to assist in the learning environment of the youngers since we consider LIFE learning.

In addition to her list, my children participate in sports, scouts, Student council, and have an active social life. My teenagers, yes even my daughters, are preparing and looking forward to college because they can do ALL of the things she lists AND go to school, get an education and make choices with their lives beyond simply looking pretty at home.

While I doubt she would care, my children were homeschooled in their younger years and now five of them are in public school for middle and high school. My children care that they are all (except the new one who recieved no education before entering our home as a teenager) Honor roll students. So, my homeschooling has been fully vetted that my children actually LEARNED in school. Sadly, they are bored in most of their subjects at school but I consider entering public school an important step to learning how to be in and interact with the world as they prepare for college. The one staying in homeschooling....well, he's currently pestering his sick dad to explain nuclear fission so clearly it wasn't a poor education that led to us keeping him homeschooled.

Geesh, everyone of my Cub Scouts and Brownies was required to learn how to make a menu, evaulate nutritional value AND how to cook the actual food. I only have to cook about 2-3 nights per week because the childen take turns cooking and learning new skills.

OH! Nearly forgot some important skills she forgot on her little list. All of my children also know how to use power tools, to change a tire, to change the oil on their car and how to mow a yard (only two will actually DO it but they all know how). In our house, it's all called LIFE SKILLS. It's not some advanced educational training, it's simply preparing for the day mom won't do it FOR you. Heck, this afternoon I discovered the laundry runner had not being folding and putting away clean clothes all week so all eight of the kids sat down in the living room and sorted, folded and put away 10 loads of laundry from the week. *Gasp* even the boys fold laundry, cook, bake and plan menus. Imagine that!

Long time lurker, finally chiming in:

Why do none of these SAHDs realize that most people do the majority of these tasks AND hold a full time job? Men, women, even most teenagers know how to do laundry, keep a place reasonably clean, cook (at least to a fundie level) and budget. And I know 12 year olds that can grocery shop.

If I had my heart set on getting married and being a SAHM, I'd get a job and save the majority, for said future home, rather then spending years of my life being useless.

My dad could knit and he made the best biscuits ever. He was also the person that mopped the kitchen floor on Saturday mornings. Do you think he was on his way to being a SAHD?

Whenever I think about the fantasy of the SAHD I think of cinderella sweeping up her dirty little hovel singing "a dream is a wish your heart makes" and want to yell "RUN" at these girls!

Bloody hell.

I can clean a house. I can't cook at the moment as stove was removed due to a gas leak but I'm good at ironing and laundry. No garden access where I am, we have a shared communal garden, the door to it has jammed and the landlord won't fix it. I can repair a hole in clothing and sew on a button, won't look beautiful but I can do it.

Caring for children, I used to be a teacher. Small and Smaller have had some lessons from me. They know what a Stalinist is, what a union card is (and the importance of having one) and what McCarthyism was. Not sure this was in the SAHD plan.

Shopping for groceries, what the fuck is difficult about this. You go to the shop and buy some groceries. This is called "grocery shopping". Just avoid Waitrose or M&S, look at what you've not got and actually need, check special offers and you're sorted.

I've certainly run errands for my family. We haven't got a family business, my dad worked for the council until he got cancer, my mum's a 'crat and a union rep. That would make it a bit hard to work for a nonexistent business.

Showing hospitality, of course. Cats like me, stray humans like me, comrades like me, anyone can sleep in the flat if I think they aren't dodgy. This, er, isn't tough to learn.

Church activities, no. I'm a regular on demos and picket lines. Does that count?

I've got a large cat carrier and some chicken nuggets, I think I'd be alright.

Guess it was time to clean off the screen again, anyway... :lol:

Fundies must think that this is very counterculture of them, but, homeschooling aside, it sounds like what plenty of girls my age do, particularly if they have younger siblings, in addition to having a normal life with school and a job and whatever else.

Fundies must think that this is very counterculture of them, but, homeschooling aside, it sounds like what plenty of girls my age do, particularly if they have younger siblings, in addition to having a normal life with school and a job and whatever else.

Yeah. Fascinating!

I know how to do all of that except for quilting (I'm sure I could figure it out though because I know how to sew) and crocheting (some of the bones in my wrist are fused, and I can't move my hands properly to do the movements). My mom also credits me for teaching my younger sister how to read because I used to write up things for our dolls, sometimes with her, and then read them aloud to her/the dolls. Even though we didn't homeschool.

They definitely think they are being counter-culture when in fact they are just doing what normal people do in addition to jobs and school and fun.

This morning I woke up to an immensely large to-do list. And a messy house. So my 8 year old son picked up the living, vacuumed and dusted. My 10 year old folded laundry and made breakfast (pancakes and sausage!). My 5 year old played with the two year old and helped out with a few miscellaneous things. I got the tail end of my school stuff done and started a work project. By noon, we had most of the to-do list knocked out and that is *without* the help of the husband or the oldest child (both were at work).

My 10 year old is totally my Girl Friday. When I fall behind, she is right beside me picking up and cleaning and helping. I am always sure to make it up to her. But she also is an honors student who has a lot of community activities like a youth symphony, the lead in a play, and a competition choir.

Housekeeping is not rocket science. You do not need a lot of formal training. My ten year old can see how her clothing is folded and replicate that. She can follow a recipe in a cookbook to make pancakes from scratch. She learned how to crochet and today we spent a decent amount of time sitting together and working on our projects. She wants to be an astronaut when she grows up, but apparently she knows more about housekeeping than a fundie newlywed who spent her high school career specifically learning how to keep house. My oldest son is 17 and is too busy with work/activities/school to pitch in, but he apparently knows how to do everything a SAHD can do, and he also knows calculus.

There is nothing counter-cultural about dedicating your life to chores that the rest of us do in our spare time.

Why do they behave as if these things are incompatible with any other occupation? Plus a lot of them are pretty lousy cooks. A good cook doesn't need to rely constantly on pre-made processed foods, the way the Duggars do.

There is nothing counter-cultural about dedicating your life to chores that the rest of us do in our spare time.

*Facebook-style thumbs-up*

Yeah. Fascinating!

I know how to do all of that except for quilting (I'm sure I could figure it out though because I know how to sew) and crocheting (some of the bones in my wrist are fused, and I can't move my hands properly to do the movements). My mom also credits me for teaching my younger sister how to read because I used to write up things for our dolls, sometimes with her, and then read them aloud to her/the dolls. Even though we didn't homeschool.

I'm pretty good at most of it. I mean, I'm a subpar cook and a lousy seamstress, but my friends' cast-off plants seem to appreciate my gardening skills...and I write a mean essay under time pressure. :P

^ this, basically.

These are "noble callings" that that both partners in a relationship need to do. You live in the home, then you do your fair share of the household chores, like it or not.

-has a meek and quiet spirit.

I'm quiet. I'm also liberal, feminist and bisexual.

-makes her home a comfortable haven.

As I mentioned in another thread, I do this for me, not for a headship or because Jesus is watching me masturbate.

- cook/bake

My ebil liberal feminist self can not only do both of these things but can make much nicer things than microwaved tater tot casserole.

- clean house

Woo, rocket science!

- gardening

Right now this consists of shovelling heavy piles of snow in a manner that would probably upstage a lot of headships and make them forget about the existence of the dangly thing between their legs or something (I can think of a way to make one of these asshole fundie headships remember that that thing exists. What these fundie wives do with hours of ego-stroking, I can do with one swift knee movement. :dance: )

I admit that it would be difficult for me to learn to crush a child's spirit and keep them prisoner in their own home. This, however, is because I am not an asshole and do not believe that Jesus wants me for one, although I enjoy the song and did sing it in the office.

Cello rental for yourself > adequate food and clothing for your kids, right?

More rocket science!

I work for a small company and the business supports my boss's family, so when I not only go to work but *gasp!* do overtime (although I live right downstairs from the office and take a dinner break if I'm doing overtime, so technically I'm still "home at 5 to cook dinner"), I am helping a family business.

- showing hospitality

Miss Manners would probably frown upon telling one's guest that they're going to hell and yet I can't help thinking that's what would happen if I were a guest in this girl's home.

How long does it take someone to learn how to look at the sale fliers, gather up their coupons, plan a menu, go to the store, make purchases, and come home and put them away? Fundie girls obsess over learning these things for years!

How long does it take to learn to make a budget? at the sotdrt, it seems to take a few years, where we evil public schoolers learned it during one unit of high school economics.

knitting and crocheting - ok, that's an on-going learning activity. People do want to get better at their hobbies.

Here's one she left out: How do stay at home daughters spend their time? Blogging about stuff we know nothing about other than spouting the crap we've been taught.

Preparing to be someone's helpmeet is hard work, y'all! College degrees take only 4 years of merely 5 classes per semester. Stay at home daughters are learning knitting, crocheting, sewing, budgeting, grocery shopping, Bible, harp, cello, vacuuming, dusting, cooking, nutrition from Aldi's, herbology, and keeping sweet for 10 years or more.

These SAHD's would be horrified by my mom. Her deal was "I love you, & you'll always have a place to stay & a hot meal if you need one. However, if you expect to stay here after age 18, you need to be working, looking for work, or in school." I don't know, maybe mom was just a hardass, what with her being a working outside the home woman.

These SAHD's would be horrified by my mom. Her deal was "I love you, & you'll always have a place to stay & a hot meal if you need one. However, if you expect to stay here after age 18, you need to be working, looking for work, or in school." I don't know, maybe mom was just a hardass, what with her being a working outside the home woman.

I think thats normal for a parent.

I would do the same if I had a kid. I dont do SAHD's.

Martha Stewart ( a Jersey gal who made good) can do all these things and use power tools. Plus she's a Barnard graduate.

Er yes. Another one here that managed to pick up these skills (except for knitting and crochet) in odd moments around actually earning a living. Even teenage boys can and will do the homemaking thing if you threaten them with something really dire, like no telly.

Archived